Frontlines Feedback Thread

MidnightRunner

On 10/22/2021 at 1:46 AM, Minipily said:

Again, I've got some great ideas and Johnson too but I'm not really interesting in taking the time to throw them in if I feel they may get swept under the rug. The above additions to FSG would be greatly appreciated right now though, give the infantry a bit more of a chance.

Any ideas you have you are welcome you put in here! :D Frontline is improved with any feedback provided, so the more concrete it is the more we can do with it!

In my experience not a single idea so far has been swept under the rug. We've taken the time to look at all the feedback that is here and see how well it works with the vision of Frontlines in general or the faction in particular.

Sometimes this means that we decide not to change something as it interferes with the vision. There have been occasions where feedback misinterprets how a system works or is relevant to a mod that we can't adjust.

Meanwhile the majority of the feedback here is put on our tracker to be implemented on a short or long term basis depending on how much effort it is. Things for a current faction are generally implemented quite fast while changes to systems take more time.

Since we only have one part time developer on this it means new features or changes to current will take time regardless.

I really appreciate all the stuff you guys are giving and hope everyone understands the method to our madness a little better. :)

On 9/17/2021 at 3:51 PM, Mikael said:

I've been thinking about the guerillas and how they often seem to attack places at bad times when they are not really wanted or needed. 

Would it be possible to make an option so that for instance the SL or maybe platco could call them in as a favor from the guerillas? 

Maybe it could come at the cost of some resources and intel, with an option to choose a stronger guerilla group for more resources? 

Like three options, one with only infantry that cost some ammo, one with a tekkie or whatever in addition that costs more ammo, some fuel and supplies and one that is bigger that cost even more.

It would also be cool if we could choose what direction they would come from.

So for instance, you could get a list of enemy objectives sorted by distance that you can choose to attack.

You would then choose from a list of the nearest friendly civilan objectives that decides the distance.

You then have a third option for the different sizes along with their respective cost, kinda like the build menu.

What do you think?

I also don't know how feasible it would be to code this, but that's not my problem :P

(I mean, in fairness most of the code is already there, its just a manual trigger and some different compositions to spawn in, while being able to pick the spawn location, right?)

On 9/17/2021 at 5:26 PM, Havoc said:

Adding to Mikael's comment:

A while ago I had the idea of a supports menu where you can request support from guerrilla forces in exchange for supplies. Some ideas I had:

- Mortar support (smoke, illumination),

- Intel on enemy positions / compositions at a certain objective (like liberation showing in which grids the enemies are, but maybe more detailed),

- Transporting supplies from objective to an FOB (like you would do between factories and FOB's),

- Defending / attacking an objective (like Mikael said),

- Defending an FOB in case of an attack,

- Supply drop (ammo, logistics, or medical),

To keep it balanced and give players another reason to keep the civrep up, the price and availability of these supports could change depending on the relations with the civilian population. When the civrep is too low, these supports are disabled, when civrep has reached a certain threshold, they become available again, but at a high price. When the civrep is at 100%, the supports are at their cheapest.

Each guerrilla faction could have their own supports, like some have access to supply drops or mortar and some don't.

Both of these are in and being expanded on since 0.5 :) Its available to SL's+ when civ rep >0%.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:46 AM, Minipily said:

HIDF need some form of heavy lift helicopter. I would recommend either the Chinook for Western Influence or the MI-8 for Eastern Influence. Both fit the bill of being old pieces of hand-me-down equipment.

Additionally, it would be good if FSG had some weapons they could actually put to use. I think some good additions would be:
SMAW

FN MAG
GPMG "Gimpy"
M82 Anti-Material Rifle

M14 w/ rail.

To be honest and a little bit blunt, there is an absolute ass ton of equipment for the arsenal and vehicles for the menu's that could be added in. Myself and Johnson both have some great ideas for additions to open up some more gameplay whilst keeping it in with what LH5 envisioned for the faction; it consisting of older generation hand-me-down equipment mainly from the Cold War Era.

Essentially everything I picture for this faction consists of just that. There's just a lot of dead space right now that I think deserves filling up.

Additionally, I have some ideas for some Syndikat changes to give them some equipment more befitting of what they would be able to have handed to them by nations using them as a proxy. Furthermore, most of their equipment should be of that which we are using, as smuggling in equipment is a lot harder than raiding the host nation faction (us).

Additionally additionally. I think for the Guerilla faction, it would be a fantastic addition to make them some form of CIA backed force as if we are of mainly western backing, the CIA would be using proxys.

Again, I've got some great ideas and Johnson too but I'm not really interesting in taking the time to throw them in if I feel they may get swept under the rug. The above additions to FSG would be greatly appreciated right now though, give the infantry a bit more of a chance.

LH has updated the HIDF faction now, including some extra weapons and vehicles as he explains above. The opfor units are as they were designed in the mod they are from, we can make custom factions however that may not be worth the effort

Guerillas just got a big overhaul so they'll feature a lot differently now already :)

All ideas are taken into account and tracked here, as this was a gamemode designed for AW in mind we do take forward most suggestions. Additionally, the building mechanics we discussed on discord are done/being worked on also. Ref more objects to build, any classnames can be suggested below (and usually added).

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Bomer said:

Could do with a nice wintery beanie on the current faction to keep my head warm.;)

Perhaps also an idea to put a intermediate 6x scope in the arsenal like the Khalia for the DMR

1429460615_Screenshot2021-11-10125405.jpg.690c27b3b3d3f49ab68b50d2f43b120d.jpg

Beanie inbound in next update along with some lower magnification scopes, not a wide verity of medium mag scopes for that rifle as it does not allow such things on its precious rails.

Spoiler

image.png.1fa1fc855e7e5973a307110c08aae0b9.png

7.1x

4x

image.png.5452627a1ddfd37ea3bf715ce14fc2d4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Idea for the infantry in buildings: Increase the change of multiple AI being in the same building. More buildings should have 2 or more infantry inside. It wouldn't drastically increase AO difficulty regardless of playercount because garrisoned AI is easier to take on because of how easy it is to limit your own exposure to it. Clearing houses can be a bit tedious so it would increase enjoyment if the house that ends up having dudes inside then has more than 1.

Also a spesific idea: Have some buildings, preferably larger and complex, to have a change to spawn many enemies inside. IRL you wouldn't want a squad randomly dispersed into a village with one dude per house, but holding a single point, be that a command post or a house with tactical value. Bigger houses with 5-10 enemies inside, depending on the house size would be a cool room clearing experience and something where you can actually go in with a frag first to every room and not always find out it's empty. Maybe give these houses an increased change to spawn intel, to simulate command posts and such. 

21 hours ago, lamminrevityin said:

Idea for the infantry in buildings: Increase the change of multiple AI being in the same building. More buildings should have 2 or more infantry inside. It wouldn't drastically increase AO difficulty regardless of playercount because garrisoned AI is easier to take on because of how easy it is to limit your own exposure to it. Clearing houses can be a bit tedious so it would increase enjoyment if the house that ends up having dudes inside then has more than 1.

Also a spesific idea: Have some buildings, preferably larger and complex, to have a change to spawn many enemies inside. IRL you wouldn't want a squad randomly dispersed into a village with one dude per house, but holding a single point, be that a command post or a house with tactical value. Bigger houses with 5-10 enemies inside, depending on the house size would be a cool room clearing experience and something where you can actually go in with a frag first to every room and not always find out it's empty. Maybe give these houses an increased change to spawn intel, to simulate command posts and such. 

Sadly for garrisoned units I use LAMBS garrison script which removes my ability to choose specifically where they go, the best I can do is ask it to bias towards higher vantage points. The number that do garrison is based on the threat, specifically the 2nd, 5th and 7th squad spawned will garrison, so depending on the threat will depend on how many you find garrisoned.

Where would one get class names? Just the name it shows when hovering over it in the arsenal? (like PKP is: rhs_weap_pkp)?

If so the facewear for the headsets is:

rhs_facewear_6m2

rhs_facewear_6m2_1

and night vision section is:

rhs_6m2_nvg

rhs_6m2_1_nvg

We could also use a floating vehicle transport PTS-M (rhs_pts_vmf), since there are a lot of water crossings and the mobile respawn doesn't float

2 hours ago, MidnightRunner said:

Exactly, the way I do it is open the ace arsenal on the main menu, then hover over an it and you can CTRL + C to copy the class name

TIL you don't have to hover over an item, alt-tab and then type the classname over...

5 hours ago, Havoc said:

TIL you don't have to hover over an item, alt-tab and then type the classname over...

You can also go into the editor, under the ACE Arsenal section add the stuff you want added and then press "Export".
You now have multiple classnames in shorter time than ever :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Could we get the opscore FAST maritime for the current faction? It (and/or high cut versions of the ECH, almost identical anyway)obviously not been adopted for every single USMC unit, but a whole bunch have been issued out to set marine units, and a lot of testing has been taking place where Maritime/super high cut helmets for marines are relatively commonplace.

also perhaps the plateframe as a stand-in for the USMC Scalable plate carrier gen 3, for us that like the dressup (spc gen3 visible on first and third pic)

Maritime: 

rhsusf_opscore_mar_ut

rhsusf_opscore_mar_ut_pelt

plateframe:

rhsusf_plateframe_grenadier

rhsusf_plateframe_light

rhsusf_plateframe_machinegunner

rhsusf_plateframe_medic

rhsusf_plateframe_rifleman

rhsusf_plateframe_teamleader

804b269248c22d6d.jpg

33c525f9de88a9d3.jpg

76906d75d819bf3b.jpg

Rally Points

Rally points are a cheap alternative to mobile respawns and behaves almost like the respawn backpacks that are available in the base game. Here is how it works:

A player can retrieve a rally point from the supply crate. A sleeping bag appears on the player:

image.png.434692faaa272fe68ca1e595bc27b759.png

The player now has a new item in the self interaction menu: "Deploy Rally Point". Deploying the rally point will trigger an animation on the player that suggests the player is placing something down, and a few seconds later the sleeping bag disappears from the player and an unfolded sleeping bag appears on the floor:

image.png.c80db5ace8af36c71dd13604fb577a7c.png

This can now be used like a mobile respawn.

To move the rally point, an interaction is available on the rally point: "Pack Rally Point". This is basically a reverse of the "Deploy Rally Point" interaction. An animation starts, suggesting the player is picking something up, a few seconds later a folded sleeping bag appears on the player and the unfolded sleeping bag disappears. The player now has the option to deploy the rally point.

A simple implementation like this can bring balancing issues. Here are some of my ideas of preventing this:

- A rally point costs supplies to get;

- Deploying on a rally point costs supplies OR a rally point has a certain amount of deploys before it becomes unusable;

- Deploying and packing the rally point itself does not cost supplies;

- Multiple members of the same group can carry a rally point, only one rally point per group can be deployed;

- Only groups of two players or more can use rally points;

- Rally points belong to groups, not players;

- When a player deploys on the rally point, other players have to wait a certain amount of seconds / minutes OR;

- Players can deploy in waves every few seconds / minutes;

- When enemies are close to the rally point for a certain amount of time and no players are around, the rally point will be destroyed.

A number of other points / ideas about rally points:

- Each faction can have it's own form of rally point, like a different colour or type of sleeping bag;

- When a player carrying a rally point dies, others can pick it up;

- Rally points disappear after server restart;

- Rally points are named after their group (Alpha 1-2's Rally Point).

If you managed to finish reading this wall of text and you have some other ideas surrounding rally point, or you think it's a stupid idea, feel free to share!