Frontlines Feedback Thread

MidnightRunner

7 hours ago, Sho_Iwaizumi said:

well as far as i experienced the default setting is "Align to Ground" as in Matching Terrain Gradient and when i placed the Salvage station, it spawned into the ground and flew up and then destroyed itself midair (The damage animation of a building as in the Damage model gets placed in and the normal undamaged model sinks into the ground, in this case towards the ground as it dissapperad midair)

Fixed as in it was a Typo in Desciption and it actually costs 15 Intel or Typo in Cost Code and it costs 25 ?

Hmm, the terrain alignment is seperate to the height you build at, so you do still need to bring it above the ground. And it now takes 25, as it should have to begin with :).

1 hour ago, RiverWolf said:

Dom do you think it's possible to tweak the consequences for bad civilian reputation? I think at the moment it doesn't really give us much to be worried about, currently it seems like the rep has to be in the extreme negative before they get angry at us and they don't really lay many IED or mines down. If this is too much work never mind 👍

I most certainly can, but I need some ideas as I am hardly creative myself. A rep below 0% triggers guerillas to attack you, and for every 10% below 0, 1 IED will be placed at the objective. << those are the current consequences, happy to have new ideas if people can think of something viable within Arma.

6 hours ago, DomT said:

Hmm, the terrain alignment is seperate to the height you build at, so you do still need to bring it above the ground. And it now takes 25, as it should have to begin with :).

I most certainly can, but I need some ideas as I am hardly creative myself. A rep below 0% triggers guerillas to attack you, and for every 10% below 0, 1 IED will be placed at the objective. << those are the current consequences, happy to have new ideas if people can think of something viable within Arma.

How about upping that to one IED every 5% ?

Also as an idea i picked up from "Dynamic Recon Ops": Civilians randomly turning into OPFOR and getting a Handgun/MP/PDW in the middle of the op/attack

20 hours ago, Sho_Iwaizumi said:

How about upping that to one IED every 5% ?

Also as an idea i picked up from "Dynamic Recon Ops": Civilians randomly turning into OPFOR and getting a Handgun/MP/PDW in the middle of the op/attack

I've upped the max IEDs to 20 (one every 5%) as suggested. I was also considering making the ambient civs a bit more explosive but not sure how I can suitably balance that to give players a chance. I'm not sure on civs having guns in an AO as there is so few (sometimes 0) and we need some to avoid people obliterating an area :D

8 hours ago, DomT said:

I've upped the max IEDs to 20 (one every 5%) as suggested. I was also considering making the ambient civs a bit more explosive but not sure how I can suitably balance that to give players a chance. I'm not sure on civs having guns in an AO as there is so few (sometimes 0) and we need some to avoid people obliterating an area :D

Nice more IEDs to worry about if we ever go negative. Stop doing UXO Missions when your are alone @RiverWolf xD we need to experience the explosiveness.

Then next to more IEDs we need more Civs so they step on the IEDs and we get the penalty for that. Than it's even more punishing. Literally making them hate us more and we have to start doing things.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, RiverWolf said:

Dom I've noticed we don't get many enemy surrender, we'll be lucky to find one on a good day after we complete an objective.

I've not changed the %chance of surrender since original release which was at 60%. I imagine its just they're bleeding out quicker then you can find them as nothing otherwise has changed.

1 hour ago, Havoc said:

BAF faction does not have body bags. Is this an oversight or intentional?

I don't believe any factions should, so intentional. Didn't really see the need and they add unnecessary clutter for this more casual style of mission.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the guerillas and how they often seem to attack places at bad times when they are not really wanted or needed. 

Would it be possible to make an option so that for instance the SL or maybe platco could call them in as a favor from the guerillas? 

Maybe it could come at the cost of some resources and intel, with an option to choose a stronger guerilla group for more resources? 

Like three options, one with only infantry that cost some ammo, one with a tekkie or whatever in addition that costs more ammo, some fuel and supplies and one that is bigger that cost even more.

It would also be cool if we could choose what direction they would come from.

So for instance, you could get a list of enemy objectives sorted by distance that you can choose to attack.

You would then choose from a list of the nearest friendly civilan objectives that decides the distance.

You then have a third option for the different sizes along with their respective cost, kinda like the build menu.

What do you think?

I also don't know how feasible it would be to code this, but that's not my problem :P

(I mean, in fairness most of the code is already there, its just a manual trigger and some different compositions to spawn in, while being able to pick the spawn location, right?)

Adding to Mikael's comment:

A while ago I had the idea of a supports menu where you can request support from guerrilla forces in exchange for supplies. Some ideas I had:

- Mortar support (smoke, illumination),

- Intel on enemy positions / compositions at a certain objective (like liberation showing in which grids the enemies are, but maybe more detailed),

- Transporting supplies from objective to an FOB (like you would do between factories and FOB's),

- Defending / attacking an objective (like Mikael said),

- Defending an FOB in case of an attack,

- Supply drop (ammo, logistics, or medical),

To keep it balanced and give players another reason to keep the civrep up, the price and availability of these supports could change depending on the relations with the civilian population. When the civrep is too low, these supports are disabled, when civrep has reached a certain threshold, they become available again, but at a high price. When the civrep is at 100%, the supports are at their cheapest.

Each guerrilla faction could have their own supports, like some have access to supply drops or mortar and some don't.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:26 PM, Havoc said:

Each guerrilla faction could have their own supports, like some have access to supply drops or mortar and some don't.

That's all well and good until they mortar their own building and then blame us for it 😄 Joking aside some interesting ideas.

20210921230204_1.thumb.jpg.bb5ceede5d27377d77c35e31635c20df.jpgHad a super weird FOB spawn today.

I mean, I get that our frontline is a bit weird right now, but thats pretty far off :P

It's the first time i've seen it so we might not want to spend a lot of energy on it, but at least its logged somewhere now.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:26 PM, Havoc said:

Adding to Mikael's comment:

A while ago I had the idea of a supports menu where you can request support from guerrilla forces in exchange for supplies. Some ideas I had:

- Mortar support (smoke, illumination),

- Intel on enemy positions / compositions at a certain objective (like liberation showing in which grids the enemies are, but maybe more detailed),

- Transporting supplies from objective to an FOB (like you would do between factories and FOB's),

- Defending / attacking an objective (like Mikael said),

- Defending an FOB in case of an attack,

- Supply drop (ammo, logistics, or medical),

To keep it balanced and give players another reason to keep the civrep up, the price and availability of these supports could change depending on the relations with the civilian population. When the civrep is too low, these supports are disabled, when civrep has reached a certain threshold, they become available again, but at a high price. When the civrep is at 100%, the supports are at their cheapest.

Something like this is very do-able, linking it with Mikaels as well. I'll be looking into doing this, however I just can't find the time too right now, so this may take longer then I usually push out new content. :( 

Now that I'm here anyway. Here's a design change I've been thinking of for Civpoprating. Rather than having a global civpop rating it may be more interesting to have a sector based civpop rating.

The Change

These sectors could be centered in cities and cover a radius of several kilometers around them. Any objective within this sector would be influenced by the rating and can influence it. The major change we will see is that regions will develop in which we will be viewed more favourably than other regions meaning that while guerilla's in one sector might be our ally, in others we may encounter them as opposition or find mines and IED's.

This change will also influence the impact that positive or negative change will have on the civpop meaning that it may be more work to increase it but will be less affected if it drastically drops due to destroyed buildings.  These changes will now be limited to their sector. Performing a UXO clean-up inside Sector Paros will mean a change in Paros' Civpop rating. Similarly blowing up a building within sector Galati will only change sector Galati's rating.

It is still possible to maintain a global rating based on the sector ratings but this would then no longer be the deciding factor in how the population feels about the players. Instead this would happen locally per sector

User Interface

As for how to indicate this change a UI display similar to Vindicta's Interface could be a strong basis. Alternatively you can look at sector games like Foxholes or Planetside 2 with colour/line indicated sectors with a statistic number at the center or near the main city of said sector.

Optional features

Sectors Influencing Sectors

An optional addition to this system could be that sectors influence each other so that a positive or negative civpop rating in a sector has a similar impact on the civpop rating in an adjacent sector. Positive ratings in sector kavala will give an +X% base rating to Sector Sector Zaros, while a negative rating in Pyrgos means a -X% rating to any adjacent sectors. This is very much a feature though that is optional and should only be implemented when the base system is there.

Rewards for Positive civpop ratings

Another optional feature is the availability of rewards for high civpop in a sector. In liberation taking certain objectives rewards the player with unlocking a vehicle they can then purchase. I think it would be far more interesting if instead, a high civpop rating means that these sectors give things to the players. Sector Kavala may give a free FOB crate while Sector Oreokastro gives a large supply of resources. Free vehicles or special weapons are an interesting addition as well. What could even be possible is that a sector offers guerillas to help fight alongside the players. rather than gorillas appearing at random when a player attacks an objective they can request a group of guerrillas to attack an object through an interface. They may for example order the guerillas to attack Agios Dyonisios ahead of the players' assault.

Conclusion

Overall this change will make the civpop more than a flat stat that we keep up through a few quick actions and prevent a global spiral due to one ruined area. Furthermore it helps set Frontlines apart from Liberation, making it a more unique experience overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of getting rid of the civilian aircraft that keep flying around, particularly the ones that keep flying into our FOBs. I feel like it doesn't provide much to the mission other than a nuisance, and there's not much point in a civilian aircraft flying around an active warzone.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, RiverWolf said:

Can we have a choice of helicopter for a mobile respawn? Because the Chinook is impractical.

Usually the mobile respawn helicopter is the bigger capacity helicopter for the faction, not necessarily its flying characteristics. The chinook is the same as used for the USMC factions and there is the ground one if that is better.

20 hours ago, Minipily said:

Any chance of getting rid of the civilian aircraft that keep flying around, particularly the ones that keep flying into our FOBs. I feel like it doesn't provide much to the mission other than a nuisance, and there's not much point in a civilian aircraft flying around an active warzone.

Its meant to bring more life to the map, along with the ambient civs who drive/walk around the map. Its not his fault a FOB was built on an international airport :D It also makes it so anything airborne isn't necessarily a target, giving a bit less of a 'blow everything out the sky' idea. I can turn him off for this map, if others feel the same way.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:42 PM, Bomer said:

Now that I'm here anyway. Here's a design change I've been thinking of for Civpoprating. Rather than having a global civpop rating it may be more interesting to have a sector based civpop rating.

The Change

These sectors could be centered in cities and cover a radius of several kilometers around them. Any objective within this sector would be influenced by the rating and can influence it. The major change we will see is that regions will develop in which we will be viewed more favourably than other regions meaning that while guerilla's in one sector might be our ally, in others we may encounter them as opposition or find mines and IED's.

This change will also influence the impact that positive or negative change will have on the civpop meaning that it may be more work to increase it but will be less affected if it drastically drops due to destroyed buildings.  These changes will now be limited to their sector. Performing a UXO clean-up inside Sector Paros will mean a change in Paros' Civpop rating. Similarly blowing up a building within sector Galati will only change sector Galati's rating.

It is still possible to maintain a global rating based on the sector ratings but this would then no longer be the deciding factor in how the population feels about the players. Instead this would happen locally per sector

User Interface

As for how to indicate this change a UI display similar to Vindicta's Interface could be a strong basis. Alternatively you can look at sector games like Foxholes or Planetside 2 with colour/line indicated sectors with a statistic number at the center or near the main city of said sector.

Optional features

Sectors Influencing Sectors

An optional addition to this system could be that sectors influence each other so that a positive or negative civpop rating in a sector has a similar impact on the civpop rating in an adjacent sector. Positive ratings in sector kavala will give an +X% base rating to Sector Sector Zaros, while a negative rating in Pyrgos means a -X% rating to any adjacent sectors. This is very much a feature though that is optional and should only be implemented when the base system is there.

Rewards for Positive civpop ratings

Another optional feature is the availability of rewards for high civpop in a sector. In liberation taking certain objectives rewards the player with unlocking a vehicle they can then purchase. I think it would be far more interesting if instead, a high civpop rating means that these sectors give things to the players. Sector Kavala may give a free FOB crate while Sector Oreokastro gives a large supply of resources. Free vehicles or special weapons are an interesting addition as well. What could even be possible is that a sector offers guerillas to help fight alongside the players. rather than gorillas appearing at random when a player attacks an objective they can request a group of guerrillas to attack an object through an interface. They may for example order the guerillas to attack Agios Dyonisios ahead of the players' assault.

Conclusion

Overall this change will make the civpop more than a flat stat that we keep up through a few quick actions and prevent a global spiral due to one ruined area. Furthermore it helps set Frontlines apart from Liberation, making it a more unique experience overall.

Apologies, this has been listed on my to-do list once my time frees up.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, Bomer said:

I recommend changing the Retrieve Supplies text to "Withdraw resources." Supplies is already used as a name for one of the resources. Furthermore it describes more accurately what you do with the interaction

unknown.png

And this was also done :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RiverWolf said:

Since we aren't getting a mod review any time soon just use the vanilla NVG settings or change the ace settings on the nightvision to something better for the time been as it's total cancer at the moment and I'm done with night ops.

Hi done with night ops.  SL can skip time with an ace interact on FOB's 

That would probably be down to the NVG(gen1) in the arsenal being the lowest quality ones out there to fit with the 1960-70 ish era of this version of HIDF. No settings have been changed on the NVG side, same as the other runs just lower quality goggles.

Switching the NVG's is something that I have no worries about potentially doing if the vast majority agrees that night ops are just unplayable atm as this is an item that is needed to be able to play at the bare minimum and you have described it as impossible to play.

This version of HIDF is meant to be of the older style so don't expect every little thing to get added or boosted to modern day stuff just because its inconvenient. Stuff that will be boosted or added are things that are essentials to play or are as close to the intended time period thing as possible, for example humvee's in place of jeeps, current range & laser designators and the acog in place of a older type scope, etc.

Also I wanted to see how bad night ops are since you have made it out to be unplayable so I jumped on EU 3 changed time to midnight leaving weather as it was during day (low overcast) Then I switched overcast to full blocking all ambient light where NVG's in general struggle because well no light to work off.

I used Gen 1 (current) & a set of gen 4 to see the difference with a potential switch. I found it playable with either, at 100% overcast less enjoyable forest warfare, with little ambient light expected.

Spoiler

Both at 00:00

general FL overcast. 20-40 ish overcast

20211021153216_1.thumb.jpg.22ed6927e0dce974c8e33282018c35c9.jpg

20211021153311_1.thumb.jpg.951025eadbbbd49d630a1d2562839b4c.jpg

20211021153235_1.thumb.jpg.9cc4cdcf3fee62a9a9a41d16b94b7e6d.jpg

20211021153257_1.thumb.jpg.aeb891d8b60beaca88f846eb16749fdc.jpg

100% overcast

20211021153353_1.thumb.jpg.e6e5f72175b85bd5a0969484c1e7ec6f.jpg

20211021153336_1.thumb.jpg.53c4bf660ef6650349b630a9899850a7.jpg

20211021153407_1.thumb.jpg.4d9062f5c2fb1b5b2026a5d35bc9ddda.jpg

20211021153422_1.thumb.jpg.5839f38a2676765097fb6d56f11b4320.jpg

HIDF need some form of heavy lift helicopter. I would recommend either the Chinook for Western Influence or the MI-8 for Eastern Influence. Both fit the bill of being old pieces of hand-me-down equipment.

Additionally, it would be good if FSG had some weapons they could actually put to use. I think some good additions would be:
SMAW

FN MAG
GPMG "Gimpy"
M82 Anti-Material Rifle

M14 w/ rail.

To be honest and a little bit blunt, there is an absolute ass ton of equipment for the arsenal and vehicles for the menu's that could be added in. Myself and Johnson both have some great ideas for additions to open up some more gameplay whilst keeping it in with what LH5 envisioned for the faction; it consisting of older generation hand-me-down equipment mainly from the Cold War Era.

Essentially everything I picture for this faction consists of just that. There's just a lot of dead space right now that I think deserves filling up.

Additionally, I have some ideas for some Syndikat changes to give them some equipment more befitting of what they would be able to have handed to them by nations using them as a proxy. Furthermore, most of their equipment should be of that which we are using, as smuggling in equipment is a lot harder than raiding the host nation faction (us).

Additionally additionally. I think for the Guerilla faction, it would be a fantastic addition to make them some form of CIA backed force as if we are of mainly western backing, the CIA would be using proxys.

Again, I've got some great ideas and Johnson too but I'm not really interesting in taking the time to throw them in if I feel they may get swept under the rug. The above additions to FSG would be greatly appreciated right now though, give the infantry a bit more of a chance.

17 hours ago, Minipily said:

SMAW

FN MAG
GPMG "Gimpy"
M82 Anti-Material Rifle

M14 w/ rail.

I have been waiting for someone to ask for the M14, it was one of the few that I looked at when making the faction and thought leave it out until someone asks.

The MG's & 50cal sniper no. Don't see them being a fit or needed for the faction, we have a few 50cals & GMG in the supply depot for big MG's.

Chinook is something that fits in with the era, etc. The cargo version only will be added, to help with logistics along with the PTS-M as a stand in for the US LARC-LX (it might have some permission issues at first depending on how its classed so heads up on that) this should also help with moving round the islands with no bridges.

The SMAW. Not really needed, we have the disposables that can deal with anything that HIDF comes up against along with the TOW humvee, heavy vics & 2 AT options in the supply depot so FSG can do the slightly more ranged heavy AT when its needed (static TOW & SPG 9)

I could justify adding the smaw by putting it in the depot along with 3 extra rounds and call it a stand in for XM202 but tbh why. HIDF is not the standard way of running AT atm and thats the point, we put the smaw in and suddenly the AT situation is just the same as every run. HIDF is a different playstyle.