Gauntlet Version History

Bug report:

Map: Takistan

Version: Gauntlet 53_105

Mission: -

Bug: Ammo box in base still old version

Description: The ammo box in base with the mat ammo, medical stuff, javelin tubes etc. are still the 2 old silver crates.  Not the new wooden box.

Version: COx Gauntlet Takistan (Gauntlet 53_105, I presume)

All 5 missions have been completed, 4 succesful, 1 failed. 

The gauntlet did not automatically change, but instead was stuck there for a few hours (2 hours on my record)

2 hours ago, SiegeSix said:

Version: COx Gauntlet Takistan (Gauntlet 53_105, I presume)

All 5 missions have been completed, 4 succesful, 1 failed. 

The gauntlet did not automatically change, but instead was stuck there for a few hours (2 hours on my record)

merged as no need for new topic.

Gauntlet 53_106 has been released on Altis:

1) Russian Factions now put the player as OPFOR (red markers), CHDSK faction puts the player as INDEPENDENT (green faction)
2) all AI (enemy) units are now present as their base faction colour - that is to say if US Army is chosen as OPFOR, it will show us a blufor unit. This makes it easier to place additional units via Zeus in the same faction.
3) Ambient units are classed within the same faction type, but their group name is named specially ("Ambient-1", etc).
4) BAF Woodland and BAF Desert now selectable as OPFOR units.
5) The dear ol' metal case is back for static munitions supply.
6) Freedom should only be spawn-able for pilots now.

Encountered visual glitch today on Taki. Not sure if the incident could be isolated to that map, or if it does the same on others. Picture is below. 

Rain is just specs of light (looks like fast-falling snow), mysterious black rectangles in the distance. Multiple players could see this.  Once you looked away from the rectangles, the rain went back to normal. 

Server weather was foggy, don't know what percentage that was set to. None of the rectangles were ambient AI or part of the mission; for all I know, it could be buggy rock walls. We did not investigate. 

20170601085154_1.jpg

Gauntlet 53_107 has been released on Altis, Takistan, Fallujah and Chernarus:

1) Added a new Logi structures system. Available for Logi members only. Abuse / Trolling / Fuckery with this system will be sanctioned heavily.
1a) Logi members may now deploy H-Barrier, razor fences, camo nets and bunkers with a new supply system.
1b) Structures cannot be deployed in the base zone.
1c) You need a resource container which is spawned at the supply depot through the flagpole: these come in 20-point (metal case, 2 ace cargo spaces), 100-point (cargo box, 15 ace cargo points) and 200-point (huron repair container, heavy sling only) variants.
1d) Structures are spawned through ace self-interaction menu, must be within 100m of a resource container.
1e) At present spawned resources cannot be recycled. The most expensive item, a large bunker, costs 100 points.
1f) Items can be added to zeus as normal.
1g) The system is considered an alpha and is pretty clunky, don't imagine it will get a ton prettier due to ACE limitations for interface.

2) Ambient AI got another tweak, should be less hostile towards air units and enemy air units should be much, much less frequent.
2a) Ambient AI is no longer classed as INDEPENDENT (green), rather they are part of the base enemy faction. Their group name should show that they are Ambient units.

3) Russian Spetsnatz player faction now receives access to the B33 Zentico AK104/AK105 rifles, so they have access to western optics (chief complaint against playing Russian faction was the unfamiliar optics)
3a) HK416 SOPMOD Woodland/Desert rifles removed from eastern/Independent arsenals.

4) British OPFOR factions now available.

5) Whole OPFOR system was overhauled, player and enemy units now retain their base side allocation: if you are a Russian player, you are classed as OPFOR, if you select a Western enemy faction, it is classed as BLUFOR. This will make it easier for Zeus to place additional units in the scenario and not have to worry about side relations.

11 minutes ago, AhoyWorld Outreach said:

1c) You need a resource container which is spawned at the supply depot through the flagpole: these come in 20-point (metal case, 2 ace cargo spaces), 100-point (cargo box, 15 ace cargo points) and 200-point (huron repair container, heavy sling only) variants.
1d) Structures are spawned through ace self-interaction menu, must be within 100m of a resource container.
1e) At present spawned resources cannot be recycled. The most expensive item, a large bunker, costs 100 points.

So...the max is it 200 point (as described on 1c) or 100 points (as in 1e)?
And by the way, what's the meaning of the points? is this a new reward system?

The points are just a shorthand way of defining how much stuff you can deploy.  They are not reward points.  It reflects how much material is available in each crate with which to build.  The points stack, so if you bring multiple containers, you'll have a larger volume of points to build with.

Here's the current "price" list:

(10) Razorwire - Land_Razorwire_F
(15) Razor Fence - Land_Mil_WiredFence_F
(20) Razor Fence (Gate) - Land_Mil_WiredFence_Gate_F
(1) H-Barrier (1 Block) - Land_HBarrier_1_F
(3) H-Barrier (3 Blocks) - Land_HBarrier_3_F
(5) H-Barrier (5 Blocks) - Land_HBarrier_5_F
(16) H-Barrier Wall (Corner) - Land_HBarrierWall_corner_F
(12) H-Barrier Wall (Short) - Land_HBarrierWall4_F
(18) H-Barrier Wall (Long) - Land_HBarrierWall6_F
(35) H-Barrier Wall Watchtower - Land_HBarrierTower_F
(8) H-Barrier (Big, 4 Blocks) - Land_HBarrier_Big_F
(100) Bunker (Larger) - Land_BagBunker_Large_F
(25) Bunker (Small) - Land_BagBunker_Small_F
(50) Bunker (Tower) - Land_BagBunker_Tower_F
(20) Camoflague Net (Digital) - CamoNet_INDP_F
(20) Camoflague Net (Green) - CamoNet_BLUFOR_F
(20) Camoflague Net (Hex) - CamoNet_OPFOR_F

The script looks in a 100m radius for all available containers and then sums a pool of resource points, so if you had two large containers and a box you'd have 500 points available in total.  When you deploy a structure that cost is deducted from the first available container until all its points are depleted and then the remainder are taken away from the next available container. If you don't have enough points to build something, you get an error hint.

16 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

Encountered visual glitch today on Taki. Not sure if the incident could be isolated to that map, or if it does the same on others. Picture is below. 

Rain is just specs of light (looks like fast-falling snow), mysterious black rectangles in the distance. Multiple players could see this.  Once you looked away from the rectangles, the rain went back to normal. 

Server weather was foggy, don't know what percentage that was set to. None of the rectangles were ambient AI or part of the mission; for all I know, it could be buggy rock walls. We did not investigate. 

20170601085154_1.jpg

Looks like lakes don't think anything we can solve 

The FOB are working like a charm, i love it, we had some great fun building and operating one, a few problems and ideas:

A gate object to stop enemy soldiers, suicidal civ's etc. running in, preferably the one opening upwards, its the most FOB'like one.

The rotation feature, i have no idea how that is supposed to work, i think we all tried to figure it out but we didn't manage to.

If it's possible make all the big h-block walls be rotated 180 degree, now it spawns facing away from you, it would just be way more convenient. 

FOBs, I love them.

I've been dying to see momentum carried forward, supplies distributed and insertion times shortened. To RTB has always meant inevitable down time, long drives to and fro with nothing happening meanwhile. Maintaining an FOB brings in some fresh air to a numbingly stale practice.

If it means we get the occasional counter-attack (through Zeus, ambient or future scripts), even better. Break up the I&A-style habits we've picked up.

In my opinion, to all the people that disliked the FOB remember, that was Fallujah. That map is TINY. I think that if there were any issues that was the only one as far as I am aware. I think the whole FOB thing would have been appreciated more but from a pilot POV it was amazing. It looks good, it functioned well and it gave us a place to hold in CAS birds. However, we have to remember, this is new. Give it some time, it can only improve. As a first time run out however, spot on.

I guess that my post was a quick reply not representing what I really think.

I would love not to RTB in every mission that we play, I guess that everyone already knows that if only my vote would count the Arsenal would be long gone, and the arsenal is basically the reason that we RTB for.

Now, today's FOB the best way that I can describe it was people playing Minecraft while playing arma.

This FOB concept wont work in my opinion. Why wont we go into a mix of what we had and what this is and have a deployable big crate that when interacted with will build a small (walled) FOB where only troops can get in and where Vortex can deploy extra supplies in case its necessary?

We wont need anything as big as today or even with all the stuff that was there.

I've long held that Logi is an unnecessary addition to Gauntlet. The spawn base is your FOB and no map is large enough that being forced to return is an issue.

Of course momentum could be better kept up in Gauntlet, but that's fixable by packing rearm into Vortex or into convoy vehicles.

Few tasks in Gauntlet involve defense in any meaningful way.

Some backstory on this, as I realize I just kind of dropped this functionality into Gauntlet without really explaining it. To be honest I don't see the Logi structures functionality as working well with Gauntlet, rather it would be better for a game night scenario.  But since it's hard to test how it works and fix / improve upon stuff without it being in the common mission, I elected to put it into Gauntlet and see how it works.

I agree, Fallujah is probably too small a map to really need a FOB, but I liked what I was seeing there.  Unfortunately I was just getting communications all over the place and wanted to keep the mission moving forward: I really needed to be Platoon Commander in order to have a better top-down view. But also unfortunately, I had to leave right as things were getting interesting.

I did have a couple of realizations, though.  The first is that the dynamic of having to leave the red circle marking the AO in order to advance the next mission is antithetical to the FOB setup I was going for, and frankly, there's no need for it in the modern Gauntlet code (its original purpose was to get players to leave the general area of operations so that dead enemy bodies could be cleaned up "quietly" - ie., the players do not see the bodies disappear).  I think I'll just move it towards a timer that spawns a new mission some random time after the previous mission has been completed.

The next is that I'm going to develop another mission parameter to filter out missions that require the players to RTB. For example, missions which require you to bring something back to base or take something from base to somewhere else on the map. This should produce an ability to string together missions that will keep players out in the field.

A gate object to stop enemy soldiers, suicidal civ's etc. running in, preferably the one opening upwards, its the most FOB'like one.

Disappointingly, thin objects will not stop AI from walking through them: only H-Barriers will do that. I don't think even the fences will stop AI (although the razorwire barriers might).

The rotation feature, i have no idea how that is supposed to work, i think we all tried to figure it out but we didn't manage to.

It's not intuitive, I know, but what it does is it rotates the structure to face the direction that you're facing. So if you're facing north, it sets the object's direction to 0 degrees. If you're facing south, it sets it to 180 degrees. I initially tried "rotate left" and "rotate right" but after three turns the structure would disappear!

If it's possible make all the big h-block walls be rotated 180 degree, now it spawns facing away from you, it would just be way more convenient. 

The problem is that the structures aren't consistent in terms of how they spawn: some face the way you'd want them to, others face opposite to that. So if I rotate the H-Barrier walls 180 degrees, the other structures are now facing the wrong way, and I don't actually want to build in too much exception coding to specify which objects should spawn which way. If you spawn the structure, face south, and then set rotation, it should do what you want.  I'll look into a better way of handling this, but that's the way to do it for now.

Few tasks in Gauntlet involve defense in any meaningful way.

I thought it was interesting that ambient targetted the FOB as it did: that definitely kept players on their toes.

Why wont we go into a mix of what we had and what this is and have a deployable big crate that when interacted with will build a small (walled) FOB where only troops can get in and where Vortex can deploy extra supplies in case its necessary?

I do like the idea of this but there are all sorts of issues spawning a composition of buildings. What happens if you try to spawn it on a steep gradient, or if there are trees and buildings around... part of the reason the FOB truck never worked reliably was that it needed a 20m clear, flat radius to deploy on, so that structures wouldn't clip / get destroyed / destroy other things. Plus what happens if you spawn a composition and someone is standing right where an H-Barrier deploys? At least in the minecraft method there is much greater fidelity in deploying the structures where they make sense. The individual structures only exist on the client's computer while they're being deployed so they don't kill/wound players while you are placing them.