Stepping stone server

Giddy

Question

Hello everyone me and a few of the community members were thinking of how we could bridge the gap between the vanilla servers ie EU 1/2 to the vastly modded EU 3. Because the servers are so different we feel that a semi modded EU 1/2 server would fill the gap, Possibly EU 5. This would give a bit more variety to the game play by using minimal mods on EU 1/2 maps and missions. This server would still give people the experience of team work but not be as hardcore. The mods we were thinking of using would be a Weapon's pack, Weapon Attachment pack, Uniform pack, Some form of a vehicle pack and less intrusive form of acre 2. Please tell me your thoughts if you think this is a good idea or not, Would love to get your feedback.

As of the recent issues in the comments below with some of the contradicting opinions of the community members i feel it would be in everyone's best interest to come up with a simple answer ie yes i would like this to happen or no it's not for me, I understand the reasons why some of the community don't want this to happen but this topic was never created for those individuals that had no intention of playing this server or game night. My original post wasn't meant to upset anyone it was a simple idea to see if people felt the same way but some individuals have taken it the wrong way. Thanks to the people who have expressed their opinion in a detailed way but lets keep it simple from now on. 

I've re-read this a few times and there is a lot I could reply to however I'm going to suggest that everyone who has posted in this thread re-reads their own posts. There's a lot of contradictions, especially from those trying to exclude others from voicing their opinions, but then stating there is a divide in the community. I am thankful the moderators have dealt with this. What is also clear to me is that the original post doesn't accurately describe what is being requested, and to that end others can only reply to what's written, so please be clear and concise when writing your opinion, as ambiguity will lead to less focused discussion. In summary, my interpretation is that the request is actually for a slim-modded I&A server, NOT a 'stepping stone' to EU#3 as inferred. Either way, I still think that many players from EU1/2 who want more from Arma would get it from EU#3 if thy gave it a chance (by admissions many have not yet tried it), yes it would involve an initial push of effort, however the rewards are definately worth it, and there are many players willing to help those who are willing to help themselves.

I did rewrite this thread in a more concise manner, in an attempt to remedy that...

However, the same voices of disapproval very quickly derailed that thread with their frankly non-constructive remarks/opinions.

As for the whole - getting the experience from EU3 -

That is impossible for some people, due to Hardware/Network limitations.

People don't seem to understand that EU3 is 'too much' for some players and/or their PCs, and I fail to see why they are so against giving others in the Community the chance to experience something more, something that they can actually accomplish, with a little help and advice, and not from people continiually telling them that if they want more to go to EU3.

I have heard from 3 different people already this morning that they will NEVER go to EU3 now, because of how toxic some of the voices from there have been towards the people/ideas contained within these topics.

If an opinion is not constructive, and does nothing but cause harm to someone, and yes, some of the comments from people here have caused a lot of pain for those interested in this idea, then quite frankly they should not say anything.

I don't go around finding threads aimed at EU3 players and tell them that it's a bad idea and not to bother, so why should they come here and do that to us.

And I do understand that it isn't ALL EU3 players, there are some that have been very supportive and helpful with their advice, but the ones that seem determined to ruin the experience and chance to expand the Community, by giving players more options in how they play, are the most vocal.

I think most of the ideas from the so called "Eu3 players" have not been toxic but actually a voice of wisdom.

You must realize that the comments that seems "toxic" are actually not "negative" just for the sake of it.

They are "negative" because people know what they are talking about, and from experience understand that it will never work, or it will take a bunch of man hours from the staff to get it to work.

-Fabs

I think most of the ideas from the so called "Eu3 players" have not been toxic but actually a voice of wisdom.

You must realize that the comments that seems "toxic" are actually not "negative" just for the sake of it.

They are "negative" because people know what they are talking about, and from experience understand that it will never work, or it will take a bunch of man hours from the staff to get it to work.

-Fabs

Then they need to speak up and say WHY they don't think it will work, and offer an alternative, or some advice on what they think might work.

Just telling people it's a bad idea and that they should just join EU3 doesn't help the people who can't go on EU3.

And if you've read the comments then you will see just how toxic some of them are.

I understand you're trying to help 'build bridges' here, but it's the people that made the comments that need to step up and do that for themselves.

Whats the point of ACRE then? Unless I am missing something the point of using ACRE is to stop the use of Side Chat and Marking on the Map for communication?

This here could be a possibility and its good to see that your actually researching into how these mods could be used, and actually making progress from what Giddy's original post suggested.

However from my reading this only seams to stop terrain interference therefore giving the Radio's a range such as 500m however it doesn't matter if you have a ridge line between one another. This won't make you able to use a handheld radio to communicate from one end of Altis to the other, however this would need to be tested as it may give the unlimited range. From my past experience if you wanted that unlimited range Task Force Radio has an option for this. However from my knowledge there isn't an option within ACRE without some alterations to the mod itself. I may be wrong however. 

Did you read this one? As this one explains it quite well actually.

Yes Fabs I have, and Kieran, like Josh, is one of the rare voices that have been very helpful.

But as I said earlier,

"I do understand that it isn't ALL EU3 players, there are some that have been very supportive and helpful with their advice, but the ones that seem determined to ruin the experience and chance to expand the Community, by giving players more options in how they play, are the most vocal."

Yes Fabs I have, and Kieran, like Josh, is one of the rare voices that have been very helpful.

Every single response by EU3 players in both of the relevant topics have been voices of reason and advice, and are not negative for the sake of shooting down the idea. A quote of a post without an argument might back up your claims, but proclaiming that you are the victim of a conspiracy of salty EU3 players only serves you appearing like a fool.

Honestly, this whole thing has got turned around under a false pretense, and you being adamant on your opinion makes you read between lines when there is no content there. We are literally trying to tell you how these mods work and what is necessary to use them effectively, but everything not playing the ball to you is immediately dismissed as disruptive. There will be no progress here until that notion stops.

Then they need to speak up and say WHY they don't think it will work, and offer an alternative, or some advice on what they think might work.

Just telling people it's a bad idea and that they should just join EU3 doesn't help the people who can't go on EU3.

And if you've read the comments then you will see just how toxic some of them are.

I understand you're trying to help 'build bridges' here, but it's the people that made the comments that need to step up and do that for themselves.

You want an alternative? You got one - a slightly modded gamenight to get familiar with the core mods (namely ACE and ACRE). After that there could be a proper discussion about new server, depending on the attendance and the general opinion of players.

You want an advice? I think you got that too - on how/why ACRE wouldn't work on the setting you're proposing because it requires a set chain of command to work properly; otherwise it is a clusterfuck.

And guess what, both of thosse things were provided by EU3 regulars, and yet you say that EU3 players in this thread have not been constructive or didn't give reasons to why it wouldn't work. Maybe it is the other way around - I haven't seen a good reason as to why it WOULD work.

Also, why there's a very limited amount of people from EU1/2 replying here? There should be many more replies from different players If there was a real need or desire for a server like you suggest. Right now it seems like a rather small player base wants a server that fits them.

I feel like you're calling people toxic just because they disagree with you and that is not how it works.

So here's what I imagine will happen this server will be given a trial period say a month or two. 

Since so far you only require mods I highly doubt a repo will put up for the trial period due to the amount of effort it would require to just hand out two mods.

If the trial period works then hey well done, if not oh well atleast you tried.

But from BOTH sides of this argument please stop saying you like or don't like things unless you've actually sat down and tried the play styles on either side.

I'll volunteer my services where ever they're needed to get this server a trial period. If that involves mission work, mod stuff, documentation etc feel free to PM me i'm experienced in all areas. 

Good luck and I hope this works. Now y'all just gotta wait for the official response. :P

I have heard from 3 different people already this morning that they will NEVER go to EU3 now, because of how toxic some of the voices from there have been towards the people/ideas contained within these topics.
Earlier I posted that perhaps everyone should re-read their own posts to reflect on what they are saying and how it's being interpreted, this suggests to me that you haven't yet done that and your statement is quite plainly untrue (also ironic).
If an opinion is not constructive, and does nothing but cause harm to someone, and yes, some of the comments from people here have caused a lot of pain for those interested in this idea, then quite frankly they should not say anything.
As long as it's not offencive or malicious, I don't think there is a problem with it.
I don't go around finding threads aimed at EU3 players and tell them that it's a bad idea and not to bother...
If your opinion or point is well measured and based on observations/facts, then it would be welcomed, no matter how much you think others may disagree.
...so why should they come here and do that to us.
Given the earlier posts regarding inclusion of ALL the community, I don't think this is an appropriate attitude.

I support the idea of a game night with less mods to see how well subscribed such a proposal is, but I feel there is a lot of misinformation (or lack of information) on a few things including how EU#3 actually works (if you haven't played on it then it would be difficult to know), and also how some of the mods impact the game, e.g. ACRE. A game night might help, or perhaps those making or supporting the proposal could do some research and make some informed contributions (e.g. like Gripe has) - this would go a long way to solidifying the proposal and building up more support.

xSniper1982, on 29 Mar 2016 - 15:55, said:snapback.png

Earlier I posted that perhaps everyone should re-read their own posts to reflect on what they are saying and how it's being interpreted, this suggests to me that you haven't yet done that and your statement is quite plainly untrue (also ironic).

--- I don't get how you can say any of this is untrue.... Or are you accusing me of lying about people saying they don't want to go to EU3 now, or about their reasons for saying that?---

As long as it's not offencive or malicious, I don't think there is a problem with it.

--you literally just said EXACTLY what I said, just in different words---

I don't go around finding threads aimed at EU3 players and tell them that it's a bad idea and not to bother...

If your opinion or point is well measured and based on observations/facts, then it would be welcomed, no matter how much you think others may disagree.

---Going into someones thread solely to tell them NOT to try and improve the Community or support others ideas, should NEVER be encouraged---

...so why should they come here and do that to us.

Given the earlier posts regarding inclusion of ALL the community, I don't think this is an appropriate attitude.

---Since when is asking people to be constructive and remain on-topic, not an appropriate attitude?---

I support the idea of a game night with less mods to see how well subscribed such a proposal is, but I feel there is a lot of misinformation (or lack of information) on a few things including how EU#3 actually works (if you haven't played on it then it would be difficult to know), and also how some of the mods impact the game, e.g. ACRE. A game night might help, or perhaps those making or supporting the proposal could do some research and make some informed contributions (e.g. like Gripe has) - this would go a long way to solidifying the proposal and building up more support.

---This is why I have been trying to ask people to remain on topic and offer advice/feedback and not just say ;

"it's a bad idea" or "If you want mods play EU3"....
I had a good conversation with some guys a short time ago, who offered some good advice and alternatives to some mods, and have thanked them for their input.
And yet you still act as though I am some kind of villain here.---

I will not be replying to you in this thread any further as you seem to be misunderstanding my intentions, and no amount of me explaining myself seems to change your opinion on that.

This is why I have been trying to ask people to remain on topic and offer advice/feedback and not just say ;

"it's a bad idea" or "If you want mods play EU3"....

I had a good conversation with some guys a short time ago, who offered some good advice and alternatives to some mods, and have thanked them for their input.

And yet you still act as though I am some kind of villain here.---

I will not be replying to you in this thread any further as you seem to be misunderstanding my intentions, and no amount of me explaining myself seems to change your opinion on that.

xSniper1982, I didn't think you were a villain, I just disagreed with you trying to exclude others from the discussion (even after moderators got involved) and a lot of the statements you made, e.g. describing others opinions on your idea as 'toxic' if they weren't in support.

I'm glad you've had a useful discussion, perhaps this was long overdue.

OK so first of all if players feel that others are causing a certain server to become toxic, please for the love of god send a pm on the forums to a member of staff. This should not be the first that I am hearing about this. Secondly I believe that this topic was to suggest an I&A server with a weapon and clothing/vehicle pack. In that regard you are all off topic and have hijacked this thread to push through your own desires. Thirdly, I am not sure as to which mods you want and why. Some of you claim that acre/ace are to complex while others claim that you want acre/ace because it is not a lot to download without weapon packs. And others don't want to join eu3 because of acre/ace but then want it on a separate server.

Finally I do plan to run eu5 row a week of two to test out the response. However I do not have the time or energy to make the mission and sort out the mods. Also this cannot only be just the one group from eu2 that plays a lot on the server. If I do not see it expanding the player base I will kill the server at the end of the trial run.

You know, I'd love to hear what Giddy thinks about this. He made a post with an idea that I, personally, was all for. But at some point, it was turned around almost 180 degrees, and I haven't read anything by him since.

Because I've been completely disgusted by everyone's biased reactions towards my original post i have therefore decided to sit back and wait until the dust settles. And then we can hopefully all get back on the same track and not stay on the derailed one above. This was for the communities benefit not just for the potato squad as everyone else seems to believe.   

Wow just wow, this topic got way off track, you should all take a second and sit back and have a rethink 

Giddy came into TS the other day with a suggestion of having a smaller mod based server as a step between EU1 & EU3 that wasn't heavy on the mods, that might attract a few more into our "friendly" community, 

some folks who may not like the "Structured Fun" that is EU3

and some who are bored of EU1 & 2 and want a more lets let everyone have a bit of fun with all the "ye olde worlde" Arma mods and stuff that's available to spice up the mundane Altis / Stratis a bit.

Giddy was asked to put up this post to get a community feel to see how much interest, he didn't want to but we forced him as a discussion between 12 people on TS wasn't going to go anywhere, so he put up this post and so far nothing constructive has come from it, and only a 2 sided "our server is better than your server" argument reared it's head

there is no divide, we are one community, yes some play on one server over the other but it's AW that holds the lot together,

he shouldn't be getting called out by the mobs with pitch forks to be burned as a heretic by the EU3 mob or the EU1/2 mob for that matter

so if you could all pull your heads in and have a proper think as to what would make this, Great Idea by the way, of a semi mod server work or not work that would be a lot more welcome than a 2 sided heated debate 

thanks

Wow just wow, this topic got way off track, you should all take a second and sit back and have a rethink 

Giddy came into TS the other day with a suggestion of having a smaller mod based server as a step between EU1 & EU3 that wasn't heavy on the mods, that might attract a few more into our "friendly" community, 

some folks who may not like the "Structured Fun" that is EU3

and some who are bored of EU1 & 2 and want a more lets let everyone have a bit of fun with all the "ye olde worlde" Arma mods and stuff that's available to spice up the mundane Altis / Stratis a bit.

Giddy was asked to put up this post to get a community feel to see how much interest, he didn't want to but we forced him as a discussion between 12 people on TS wasn't going to go anywhere, so he put up this post and so far nothing constructive has come from it, and only a 2 sided "our server is better than your server" argument reared it's head

there is no divide, we are one community, yes some play on one server over the other but it's AW that holds the lot together,

he shouldn't be getting called out by the mobs with pitch forks to be burned as a heretic by the EU3 mob or the EU1/2 mob for that matter

so if you could all pull your heads in and have a proper think as to what would make this, Great Idea by the way, of a semi mod server work or not work that would be a lot more welcome than a 2 sided heated debate 

thanks

I admit, he came into the TS and spoke to the guys I was with just after he spoke to you, and we were the same.

I feel that a Semi Mod server would be a great idea, its just the big thing of trying to work out which mods to put on it. It appeals to me, and sometimes I get a little bit bored of the same stuff going on..

FUCK YES

^^ most sensible answer so far, I'm serious too.

John's idea of a 2Gb limit is going to be tough to stick to

if you want Vehicles & Weapons thats ~4Gb (CUP packs ~2Gb each) & whatever other part of CUP that they need to run

add another ~200Mb for Ace & Acre

a map change is where all the Gb come from CUP terrains is 16Gb by itself 

so if you want it to happen a structured plan and list of mads will have to be #'d out before even thinking of starting to plan missions and map layout 

Listen if they don't want tea they can choose not to. We are not here to force it down their throats. However i believe this is all about how strong the tea is and who if any will drink it. EU3 is strong tea for men and EU1/2 is a strange tea many drink and not many understand. If this is to be a tea in the middle then it must be for and misunderstood frequently.

Remember don't force them to drink tea if they can't/don't want too. Its a choice at the end of the day. A compromise must be made, a choice chosen and it must be fir the user to do.

All is Tea. We shall return to the great teapot one day to be steeped and poured into a new teacup. All is water. Shanti.

I think dingo summed up what I've been trying to say in my posts. Let's just get back on topic and stop all this other sea bilge. I truly haven't seen anything like this in my 3 years at ahoyworld and frankly I'm also kinda upset at how people are being in this thread. :(

So can the originator of the proposal specify exactly what is being suggested?

- I think it's now clear it's not a 'stepping stone' server, as this suggests a movement from point A to point B via the 'stone'. It appeared to be interpreted as some sort of direct alternative modded server to EU#3. Whereas in truth, the suggestion is for a less-modded server?

Other comments have ranged from:-

- not liking the EU#3 rules/too hardcore, but wanting ACE and ACRE, which do inherently introduce complexity, e.g. With ACE you can replace wheels etc, not to mention both mod acronyms begin with 'Advanced'.

- too many mods to download, although it seems this could be unavoidable based on subsequent indications of desired mods and their sizes.

Is this an accurate summary?

Sooo.. Cast your mind back to way back when at the very beginning of this thread before it went all silly. I asked a few questions including:

Which mods?

Who's going to decide which mods?

ACRE and ACE have been mentioned, yes okay but which weapon packs, vic packs and uniform mods are you going to use and who will choose them?

Also for the love of all that is sane go easy on the quoting people. You're quoting entire blocks of text for no good reason.

enable the hlc mods for the Eu1 wont my aug/Stg77A1-A3 back(or the high quality H&K guns) it was still activ(for testing) a year ago or longer ...

i think its the bests the mods are stabil with the server version ..

a gun pack, a clothing pack the vehicles coming with the new dlc 

The stamina bar

The Magrepack

The autobrightness

The Nametag

can be del from a core Staff, Usless for the Gameplay my opinion

thx for you attention i go back under my rock  :D

soo skimming through the walls of text i see a few different themes:

1. I want to relax the rules on modded gameplay, don't want to upset anybody so i'll ask for a new space to do that in

2. I want my vision of modsets in there and i do not accept any other view.

3. I have no idea what's going on or what all this fuss is about

if you are from group:

1. just ask nicely if the rules could be relaxed, I myself find the rules to be a little uptight so I sympathise with you that you shouldn't have to worry about what role you select or what squad you fill up unless it's a structured game night.

2. you are selfish and destructive, please change your attitude or leave because it is toxic to the survival of our online home.

3. (like me), pull up a chair and grab the popcorn, we'll drink some tea and eat some popcorn to work this out.

I would suggest acre not be added: it causes us no end of trouble on eu3. If you absolutely want a better Vox in game, tfar is probably easier overall to integrate, except my understanding is that it currently doesn't worknow with eden.

Given the small number of people on eu1/2 ts anyway I don't think it would really help. Why not encourage people to use arma's built in VON first, even if it's not great.

As for ace, sure, why not.

- R