Stepping stone server

Giddy

Question

Hello everyone me and a few of the community members were thinking of how we could bridge the gap between the vanilla servers ie EU 1/2 to the vastly modded EU 3. Because the servers are so different we feel that a semi modded EU 1/2 server would fill the gap, Possibly EU 5. This would give a bit more variety to the game play by using minimal mods on EU 1/2 maps and missions. This server would still give people the experience of team work but not be as hardcore. The mods we were thinking of using would be a Weapon's pack, Weapon Attachment pack, Uniform pack, Some form of a vehicle pack and less intrusive form of acre 2. Please tell me your thoughts if you think this is a good idea or not, Would love to get your feedback.

As of the recent issues in the comments below with some of the contradicting opinions of the community members i feel it would be in everyone's best interest to come up with a simple answer ie yes i would like this to happen or no it's not for me, I understand the reasons why some of the community don't want this to happen but this topic was never created for those individuals that had no intention of playing this server or game night. My original post wasn't meant to upset anyone it was a simple idea to see if people felt the same way but some individuals have taken it the wrong way. Thanks to the people who have expressed their opinion in a detailed way but lets keep it simple from now on. 

So i've read a few more posts, the less toxic and more useful ones, and I really began to see that so far the mods suggested pretty much are the mods on EU3 minus the map packs....

I smell something coming up here.... 

Maybe that's just me.

Now before anyone says where did you get this info from Josh, I shall include it below.

John suggested: 

ACE (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=28557)

ACRE (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=11339)

TFAR (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=23615)

AH-64D  (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=28085)

British Ridgeback PPV (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=27955)

F-18 (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=22594)

AK Pack (http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=22862)

Shax Suggested:

RHS:USAF (2.5GB on its own....)

EU#3:

ACE

ACRE/TFAR

RHS are already on there

Now to break down some of the other suggested mods.

AH64D Is included in the CUP Packs which EU3 uses

F18 Hasn't been updated since 1.38 we're now on 1.56... Which makes things VERY unstable a liable to dangerous things.

Basically what i'm getting at here is that if you're going to do this new modded server make it SIMPLE forget all the uniforms, extra vehicles and shit. 

Just use VANILLA arma with some extra stuff like JUST ACE and ACRE.TFAR if not go play EU#3 because TRUST me it really is not that strict there is no milsim bull shit. It is merely a structured TEAMPLAY style. No yes sir no sir bull.

Now as said before I support this idea. But I do NOT support it if you're gonna start adding loads of mods: Clothing, Vehicles and weapons because you do not need them for what you're saying.:)

Good luck, Josh.

Quick thing.. Has anyone considered an AI modifying MOD such as Vcom?

Actually adding a AI enhancement mod like ASR,Vcom,similar could be a nice addition BUT from my experience on A2 running such a mod on a pub server willl get you massive QQ about the AI to strong and similar,altho you can "fine tune" the behaviour/excessivity of the AI in the long run it does not necessary attracts new players - and similar to ACE its a big rewrite/addition of the mission setup too.

I´m all for having smarter AI,but would i join a seperate server just for this? Guess not ...

And you may check if any modifciation of the usual mission may disadvantage the regular guy connecting with no mods at all.

Basically what i'm getting at here is that if you're going to do this new modded server make it SIMPLE forget all the uniforms, extra vehicles and shit. 

Just use VANILLA arma with some extra stuff like JUST ACE and ACRE.

spot on

You guys testing mission files and stuff - can you hand me a number of how many people we r actually talking here?

More or less than 10 people? Just asking out of curiosity - i counted prop 2 handfull people supporting this,when in reality not even 50% will make full time use of such a server  ... i´d appreciate the information.

And wouldnt it be easier to just rewrite "some" EU3 missions and limit mods for that certain part of missions so its a easy step in for people new to mods and still getting their fix of hardcore gameplay opposed to EU1/2.

Get rid of the exotic islands,the weapon mod requirement so people with the basic mods can enjoy and the full loaded modpeople can still join in those sessions ...

Seems like a WIN / WIN to me for both sides and AHOY at all.

Hello, so I thought I would weigh in with my opinions on the idea of the stepping stone sever. This basically being from my understanding eu1/eu2 with acre and ace, running the Invade and Annex mission file. Through having these two modules implemented, arguably the most noticeable changes from the non-moded severs to moded severs. I believe this would be a great idea, as it offers the players who play daily on eu1 and eu2 a more in-depth and rewarding experience, without the seriousness and set up of eu3. I notice regularly when i'm on that the eu1 channels have more than 10 players on, and without the radio channels of acre this would seem like a cluster situation when trying to communicate. This implementation would stop this.

From zissou's post there are regularly 420 people who roughly connect to eu1 each day ( can't remember the exact numbers) thus this wouldn't hurt the amount of people playing on that sever. With the argument that this sever would take away from the eu3 player base, this simply isn't true, the players this sever would serve wouldn't play on eu3 in the first place, the would stick to eu1/2 without this sever.

However this being a stepping stone sever may have the affect of these players then moving onto eu3 once they get use to the systems and the more serious nature of gameplay which acre and ace implement into the sever. This does affect eu3, but only through providing the opertunity for people to eventually come over, therefore it's a positive affect. :)

People have mentioned who would set up this sever, pay for it, admin it etc... this isn't suppose to be set in stone yet, this is the ideas box after all, meant for people to give across ideas for improving the community experience and gameplay opportunities throughout the sever. These questions can be worked out once the idea is agreed on fully by the staff of this place. Everyone is also entitled to their thoughts and views on the ideas listed in this section, everyone is part of the same community even if it doesn't affect them, however censorship of peoples ideas should never take place, just because they don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean there wrong.

In the past ahoyworld hasn't been afraid to set up new severs if the support is there for them. Lets look at the recent squad severs or even go back to the excile severs which we had up in the past when that mod was popular. We even had ksp severs at one point which a few members use to play on.

I would also like to get rid of the idea that eu3 is a huge step up for players who regularly play on eu1/eu2. In reality if you are playing on eu1/eu2 in a relativity co-operative manner, such as the zesus gamenights, then the step up isn't huge at all. The gameplay is relatively similar, with the main change being acre and ace. Yes there are weapon and vehicle mods but these are mainly visual. The changes of ACRE and ACE can be learnt in training gamenights which i'll be willing to help in again once exams are over in the summer, hence why i'm away a lot at the moment. The 20 GB of mods can be downloaded overnight, I don't really see the issue here. I know that people don't like overally controlling squad leaders or team leaders who come across as spiteful, but these people shouldn't be part of the eu3 experience, so any problem with people acting elite over being veteran players should be reports.

In conclusion I believe a stepping stone sever would easy the transition for players from eu1 / eu2 to eu3. Through learning acre and ace without the other mods, It may encourage people to then go on and try the full experience of eu3 without the huge step up which is sometimes off-putting to players.

Tbh, why don't we all just hold our horses for a minute and let people submit their mod suggestions?

I know for a fact that Giddy originally wanted to AVOID using ACE, and wasn't too fond of ACRE either. Somehow this whole thing turned into "Hey, lets use all the stuff that Giddy didn't want!", and I have no idea how the bloody hell that happened.

So just, suggest some mods, try to avoid shooting down any suggestions, and eventually make a poll so we can all find out what people actually want; what there might be a market for, as it were.

Please?