Stepping stone server

Giddy

Question

Hello everyone me and a few of the community members were thinking of how we could bridge the gap between the vanilla servers ie EU 1/2 to the vastly modded EU 3. Because the servers are so different we feel that a semi modded EU 1/2 server would fill the gap, Possibly EU 5. This would give a bit more variety to the game play by using minimal mods on EU 1/2 maps and missions. This server would still give people the experience of team work but not be as hardcore. The mods we were thinking of using would be a Weapon's pack, Weapon Attachment pack, Uniform pack, Some form of a vehicle pack and less intrusive form of acre 2. Please tell me your thoughts if you think this is a good idea or not, Would love to get your feedback.

As of the recent issues in the comments below with some of the contradicting opinions of the community members i feel it would be in everyone's best interest to come up with a simple answer ie yes i would like this to happen or no it's not for me, I understand the reasons why some of the community don't want this to happen but this topic was never created for those individuals that had no intention of playing this server or game night. My original post wasn't meant to upset anyone it was a simple idea to see if people felt the same way but some individuals have taken it the wrong way. Thanks to the people who have expressed their opinion in a detailed way but lets keep it simple from now on. 

I would say that its ACE and ACRE that probably intimidate more users to come towards EU3 than anything,

I was fortunate that the first time I went on, a couple of the players on there showed me the basics of ACE without treating me like an idiot.

As you've said, we don't want to drive the community apart, and some of the guys I play with are a little bit unsure of what effect ACE and ACRE will have on their gaming, so this sort of thing is something I would take part in.

I definetely agree that those 2 mods are the most intimidating ones, but at the same time they are the core of EU3, everything else is just flavour stuff - uniforms, weapons, vehicles, maps... That's why a gamenight with ACE and ACRE should help people the most.

So much negativity...
I don't get this mentallity at all.

Promoting EU3 isn't going to help those of us on EU1/2 that want a little bit more from our experience.....
What part of this are you not understanding, as has already been pointed out, this is about EU1/2 players....
NOT EU3.....

If you open another server with a middle-ground modset, it may create another sub-community, and from general experience, dividing a community like that is never a good idea. It potentially could create more problems than solve. 

On top of all of that, openining another server may bleed players from EU3, which already is suffering from low amount of players on average compared to 1/2. I would prefer if AW focused on promoting EU3 instead of opening new servers. 

I have a feeling that players are "intimidated" by EU3 and they can't just hop and play to try it because they have to download 20+GB of mods.

^^^^^^^^^^
This right here 'YOUR' reason NOT to have the server ..
This... IS THE REASON WE SHOULD.....

EU 3 is struggling for players, because people aren't comfortable downloading all the Mods and then not get help learning how to play,
or just don't have the hardware capable of handling it.

The only reason there seems to be a DIVIDE in the Community is because most EU3 players don't even attempt to engage with the players of EU1/2,

us EU1/2 players are more than happy to engage in conversation and discussion with guys on EU 3..
However, few of them seem to feel the same way.
I count myself lucky that I've been able to chat with some of the EU3 guys and have a fun conversation, not everyone gets that chance, UNLESS they play on EU3.

Having that MIDDLE GROUND would be a good way to help ease players in to the way EU3 works/runs, and might allow for a few more people to move over and populate that server.

I don't see any negatives to this idea, only positives...
But I guess that's just because of the way I view life in general....

It can't hurt to test it out, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and things can go back to the way they are....
If it does work out, then everyone wins.

After re-reading Giddy's post, this is what is wanted:

[...] minimal mods on EU 1/2 maps and missions.[...]

[...] The mods we were thinking of using would be a Weapon's pack, Weapon Attachment pack, Uniform pack, Some form of a vehicle pack and less intrusive form of acre 2.[...]

That's essentially EU3 modset without extra maps and no ACE. Yes, maps are a big part of the current modpack size - actually about half of it -, but they add a needed variety. Without extra maps, the only real alternative is Altis, which is a great map, but playing it 24/7 gets repetitive.

So, the request here can be resumed as "EU3 modset without extra maps", right?

After re-reading Giddy's post, this is what is wanted:

That's essentially EU3 modset without extra maps and no ACE. Yes, maps are a big part of the current modpack size - actually about half of it -, but they add a needed variety. Without extra maps, the only real alternative is Altis, which is a great map, but playing it 24/7 gets repetitive.

So, the request here can be resumed as "EU3 modset without extra maps", right?

For me personally it's not just the mods that are used it's the huge list of rules and regulations you have to follow to be allowed to play EU 3 and i don't understand why people who have no intention of playing EU 1/2 and only play EU 3 are getting so worked up and have such a strong opinion on why they don't think this is a good idea. I would never think of voicing my opinion if it wasn't going to affect me, This one topic has shown exactly why there is complete alienation from the community.    

Arkod there have been plenty of people that try EU 3 and find out they dont like it. Creating another server wont divide the community, did the creation of EU 3 divide the community. It did not it built it up, i believe the same for this new server.

Arkod you have stated your opinion now please drop it and let others speak. As i said in my post i dont understand why its only the EU 3 frequent players that dont want this to happen. This server will have no effect on EU 3.

And no this is not going to be EU 3 without the map packs. Its going to be a more free type of gameplay. a lot like EU 1/2 none of the strict MilSim like rules that EU 3 has. It will be treated like a Public server except with the only requirement is being on teamspeak.

Arkod there have been plenty of people that try EU 3 and find out they dont like it. Creating another server wont divide the community, did the creation of EU 3 divide the community. It did not it built it up, i believe the same for this new server.

Arkod you have stated your opinion now please drop it and let others speak. As i said in my post i dont understand why its only the EU 3 frequent players that dont want this to happen. This server will have no effect on EU 3.

And no this is not going to be EU 3 without the map packs. Its going to be a more free type of gameplay. a lot like EU 1/2 none of the strict MilSim like rules that EU 3 has. It will be treated like a Public server except with the only requirement is being on teamspeak.

If anything, this could lead to more players making their way over to EU3. I'd do more on there if I could get used to some of the mods used on there prior to playing.

Creating another server won't divide the community, because the community is already divided.

It is divided between those that play on Eu3 and Eu1/2. 

The reason for Eu3 players not to play on Eu1/2 is that they enjoy the more serious and tactical/social aspect of Eu3, this is certainly the situation in my case.

Yea, sure the huge mod pack on Eu3 including the "strict rules" might seem scary at first. 

But once you get it going, and actually reading the rules you'll understand that most of the rules are common sense.

Also I have never met a friendlier playerbase than on Ahoyworld, and the players on Eu3 are more than happy to help you get everything up and running,

if you have trouble with the mods just ask someone who regularly plays on Eu3 and they will most likely be happy to help you.

If one has played in a MilSim unit they will understand the difference of Eu3 and MilSim.

-Fabs

So much stuff I didn't read in this thread because of how negative it was.

Idea is solid and a good one. A possible new second modded server with minimal mods, people have said just ace and acre which would be good and easily maintained.

With this they already have many missions they could use on this server without heavy maintenance and VERY easy to add ace/acre too.

-I&A: more for the larger numbers, but could work.

-Gauntlet: altered for vanilla play on Altis and stratis. Also good for smaller numbers with it being a more side mission based game mode.

-Valiant: a wip by Christiansen now maybe he will shoot me out here as it not being. But as a new upcoming game ode I'm sure it could work.

Also I'd offer a service to set a mission up for this, the modded repo I don't think I'd be allowed to however it's easily done.

So my overall answer to this would be: yes, yes, yes.

Just don't go adding loads of weapons and maps and extra vehicles and shit into it. Keep it ace/acre and maybe some other ai tweaking stuff.

I've been here for 3 years and will always support a new server. Especially when it comes down to modded arma stuff. Even more so a break low level server between eu1/2 and 3.

huge list of rules and regulations you have to follow to be allowed to play EU 3

Not wanting to play with a rank structure is all fine, but this part here I have to take issue with. The list of rules for EU#3 is very reasonable.

Don't TK

Don't ruin the fun for everyone by raping AOs with CAS.

Obey the orders of your superiors. (Which are, in 99% of cases, perfectly reasonable.)

Play your role.

Those 4 are really the gist of it. Everything else is simply subsets of those four, intended to specify a selection of actions that could easily end up resulting in you breaking any of those four major rules.

The common violations involve shooting in base and throwing items in base, which is mostly done by newbies who get reprimanded once, never to do it again.

I can't for the life of me see how this ruleset could even remotely be hard to follow.

As far as I can tell, ACE and ACRE are basically the only two mods they DON'T want on a modded server :)

Ima ask a little favour, as this post was originally an idea for a new server could we re-align it onto that instead of all the stuff between eu1/2/3 and rules and stuff.

More than welcome to start a separate thread to talk about rules and why you do(n't) play eu3. But personally I think we should keep this about giddys original idea for a very lightly modded sever :)

-Josh

Sent from my palace of sleep.

Fair enough Josh.

In that case, let me just say, as far as I can tell from what is being written in here, the mods keeping people off EU#3 are ACE and ACRE, and the total size of the download.

If there's a demand for a server running weapon and vehicle mods, I have no issue with that. Just don't call it a "stepping stone to EU#3" if it's basically just the EU#3 modset without ACE and ACRE.

If a stepping stone is required, tone down the medical system, lose some of the other ACE features like Advanced Ballistics, make ACRE as easy as is possible and relax the rank structure.

If there's a demand for a server running weapon and vehicle mods, I have no issue with that. Just don't call it a "stepping stone to EU#3" if it's basically just the EU#3 modset without ACE and ACRE.

It's called a 'Stepping Stone' because it is SOMEWHERE in between the 2 servers, and some people could use it as a way to test themselves and their hardware for possibly moving onto a Modded Server, or just prefer that MIDDLE GROUND.

The Title doesn't say 'Stepping Stone to EU#3'....

just Stepping Stone Server.

Also -

again, people from EU#3 need to STOP being negative about this....

IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU.

This is a thread about players from EU 1/2 wanting a little more from their experience that isn't as demanding as EU#3.

John has made this fact perfectly clear to anyone who READS the thread, and yet people from EU 3 still keep posting negative remarks.

Amentes, how are you getting that? lol

Multiple times it has been said that ACE And ACRE are the only mods we want....

Giddy lists a "less intrusive ACRE", but not ACE.

I'm no expert, but I don't imagine ACRE's gonna get a whole lot less "intrusive" than it is on EU#3 in its current form.

The general gist I'm getting from talking to people on TS, both recently and in the history of EU#3, is that ACE and TFAR/ACRE have been the mods keeping people off, as they can be somewhat overwhelming to newbies.

So no, it has not been said multiple times that people want only ACE and ACRE. No offense, but that's just factually incorrect.

Giddy lists a "less intrusive ACRE", but not ACE.

I'm no expert, but I don't imagine ACRE's gonna get a whole lot less "intrusive" than it is on EU#3 in its current form.

The general gist I'm getting from talking to people on TS, both recently and in the history of EU#3, is that ACE and TFAR/ACRE have been the mods keeping people off, as they can be somewhat overwhelming to newbies.

So no, it has not been said multiple times that people want only ACE and ACRE. No offense, but that's just factually incorrect.

Perhaps you should try READING THE THREAD then.....

I also think that this is the best approach to the situation, and is not as demanding in maintenance. There might even be a regular gamenight in this fashion to periodically remind people of EU3's way of doing things. If they like it, there's more of a chance that they download 20+ gigs of mods.

Mod this gamenight extremely lightly. ACRE and ACE only, no show, just the manners.

I agree here. I've made the trip down to EU3  a couple of times, and although I like the mods and stuff like that, I can't get comfortable on there. I'd like a night or two where we can have a light mods sort of game night where we can have a bit of ACRE2 or something that won't be massive in terms of download.

The Answer to Zissou's Questions :)

Which Mods: ACE/ACRE  

Who decides which mod's to use: Mission Developer/Community (Limit 2GB)

Who is going to Build it: (Needs to be Decided) 

Who is going to maintain it: I am willing to maintain the server. 

I have a feeling that players are "intimidated" by EU3 and they can't just hop and play to try it because they have to download 20+GB of mods.

A gamenight with just ACE and ACRE is a really good idea that would show players the basics of EU3 without downloading much. 

I would say that its ACE and ACRE that probably intimidate more users to come towards EU3 than anything,

I was fortunate that the first time I went on, a couple of the players on there showed me the basics of ACE without treating me like an idiot.

As you've said, we don't want to drive the community apart, and some of the guys I play with are a little bit unsure of what effect ACE and ACRE will have on their gaming, so this sort of thing is something I would take part in.

> Obey the orders of your superiors. (Which are, in 99% of cases, perfectly reasonable.)

The above is the thing that (note, in *my* opinion) makes eu3 something i would be able to tolerate in only fairly small doses. Didn't like arbitrary ranks when i was in the military, still don't like them. Reasonable or not. Probably the above is also the reason why the references to milsim abound in this thread.

The other rules are perfectly fine, and as you say, common sense.

This is why this thread was posted, to sound out the playerbase and see to the feasibility of such a middle ground server, where the hierarchical rank structure doesn't exist but which offers the expanded possibilities of some mods to spice up the gameplay. That, and the enforcement of TS and a mic is pretty much what we are after.

> Obey the orders of your superiors. (Which are, in 99% of cases, perfectly reasonable.)

The above is the thing that (note, in *my* opinion) makes eu3 something i would be able to tolerate in only fairly small doses. Didn't like arbitrary ranks when i was in the military, still don't like them. Reasonable or not. Probably the above is also the reason why the references to milsim abound in this thread.

The other rules are perfectly fine, and as you say, common sense.

This is why this thread was posted, to sound out the playerbase and see to the feasibility of such a middle ground server, where the hierarchical rank structure doesn't exist but which offers the expanded possibilities of some mods to spice up the gameplay. That, and the enforcement of TS and a mic is pretty much what we are after.

Gripe I understand where your coming from, however I personally think with the implementation of ACRE will require a more set-in-stone structure or hierarchy. Otherwise how would you call in helicopters for evacuation? Is everyone going to have a long range radio? Do you know how much space those radio's require within the inventory? Without this hierarchy then how would you designate who took these radios? Without this hierarchy then I personally think having ACRE would feel like a crowded Team speak channel with constant radio chatter resulting in most people turning off their radios and resulting to typing over side chat to avoid the headache otherwise involved.

Maybe if we all  look at it from a other angle then seeing it as something that may put eu3 in jeopordy or to create a new server right away it was created as a platform to have some feedback on the idea 

It could been seen as a positve and as posted a "middle ground" to try and get more players inticed to try some more mods and who knows maybe even give EU3 a try at some point 

I know i for one downloaded all the mods a while back for it just never got time to jump on it sins after work i want to have a laugh and play a game instead of learning new things after a hard day at work (and yes i know thats my own fault for not making time  ) 

But this could be a way to see if some of the players would enjoy the mods and maybe even move to EU3 after playing with some of the things like ACE and ACRE

I for one like the idea of having this to breach the gap that seems to be beteween the 2 player groups atm from reading the posts here 

Its one community after all 

I know i aint been around long but this is just my 2 cents i had to put in after reading this post 

I've re-read this a few times and there is a lot I could reply to however I'm going to suggest that everyone who has posted in this thread re-reads their own posts.

There's a lot of contradictions, especially from those trying to exclude others from voicing their opinions, but then stating there is a divide in the community. I am thankful the moderators have dealt with this.

What is also clear to me is that the original post doesn't accurately describe what is being requested, and to that end others can only reply to what's written, so please be clear and concise when writing your opinion, as ambiguity will lead to less focused discussion.

In summary, my interpretation is that the request is actually for a slim-modded I&A server, NOT a 'stepping stone' to EU#3 as inferred. Either way, I still think that many players from EU1/2 who want more from Arma would get it from EU#3 if thy gave it a chance (by admissions many have not yet tried it), yes it would involve an initial push of effort, however the rewards are definately worth it, and there are many players willing to help those who are willing to help themselves.

Gripe I understand where your coming from, however I personally think with the implementation of ACRE will require a more set-in-stone structure or hierarchy. Otherwise how would you call in helicopters for evacuation? Is everyone going to have a long range radio? Do you know how much space those radio's require within the inventory? Without this hierarchy then how would you designate who took these radios? Without this hierarchy then I personally think having ACRE would feel like a crowded Team speak channel with constant radio chatter resulting in most people turning off their radios and resulting to typing over side chat to avoid the headache otherwise involved.

How to call an evac? Like we do on EU2, mark an evac site and call vortex in side chat. I understand where you're coming from, but you're also thinking of a mission from the perspective of "insertion, maneouver, action, exfil" as a whole coordinated force, where as we would be more concerned with squad level communication where the exfil part is an afterthought. We could also do away with the terrain occlusion in ACRE with the http://acre.idi-systems.com/api/api_general.html#acre_api_fnc_setLossModelScale API, leave us with the soundscape immersion but ditching the terrain occlusion realism/hassle. Meaning no need for the LR radio.

I've re-read this a few times and there is a lot I could reply to however I'm going to suggest that everyone who has posted in this thread re-reads their own posts. There's a lot of contradictions, especially from those trying to exclude others from voicing their opinions, but then stating there is a divide in the community. I am thankful the moderators have dealt with this. What is also clear to me is that the original post doesn't accurately describe what is being requested, and to that end others can only reply to what's written, so please be clear and concise when writing your opinion, as ambiguity will lead to less focused discussion. In summary, my interpretation is that the request is actually for a slim-modded I&A server, NOT a 'stepping stone' to EU#3 as inferred. Either way, I still think that many players from EU1/2 who want more from Arma would get it from EU#3 if thy gave it a chance (by admissions many have not yet tried it), yes it would involve an initial push of effort, however the rewards are definately worth it, and there are many players willing to help those who are willing to help themselves.

Parabolic, absolutely agree with you. We are not, repeat *not* trying to take anything away from EU3! I cannot emphasize this enough. Forgive my my bluntness battlebuddies, i'm trying to cut through the fog of war here and get the thread back to where it should be. Yes, we are looking for lite modded I&A, although other missions would not hurt if they could be put in. A lot of guys have expressed willingness to try to put together missions, although i cannot say how they wold be implemented. That is a bit beyond my skills as a scripter. I believe John would also be willing to regularly slaughter the lot of us in Zeus.

I think as we have to start somewhere, that running I&A would be a perfect testbench. Variations on the theme can always be added later.

How to call an evac? Like we do on EU2, mark an evac site and call vortex in side chat.

Whats the point of ACRE then? Unless I am missing something the point of using ACRE is to stop the use of Side Chat and Marking on the Map for communication?

We could also do away with the terrain occlusion in ACRE with the http://acre.idi-systems.com/api/api_general.html#acre_api_fnc_setLossModelScale API, leave us with the soundscape immersion but ditching the terrain occlusion realism/hassle. Meaning no need for the LR radio.

This here could be a possibility and its good to see that your actually researching into how these mods could be used, and actually making progress from what Giddy's original post suggested.

However from my reading this only seams to stop terrain interference therefore giving the Radio's a range such as 500m however it doesn't matter if you have a ridge line between one another. This won't make you able to use a handheld radio to communicate from one end of Altis to the other, however this would need to be tested as it may give the unlimited range. From my past experience if you wanted that unlimited range Task Force Radio has an option for this. However from my knowledge there isn't an option within ACRE without some alterations to the mod itself. I may be wrong however.