ZEUS actions

TheScar

2 hours ago, PiranhA said:

Do players have to adjust to a Zeus, or does zeus have to adjust to the players?

2 hours ago, Liru the Lcpl. said:

In my honest opinion, Zeuses NEED TO adjust to the players so they can make a mission that they will enjoy and find compatible...but some people have the fame to make the playerbase adjust to them... and it causes a lot of weeding out of people...

I'd say it depends on the mission...

1) When enhancing an AO, either by controlling AI or by using "sub-missions", Zeus should completely fold to players, in order to enhance their experience and/or help them complete the AO.

2) When stand-alone missions are created on EU #1 and #2, I think they should ideally meet somewhere in the middle, though leaning more towards the players.

As Zeus, you should be able to estimate what your audience is capable of and create your mission accordingly, while as player, you should be aware that most Zeus-missions require a bit more teamwork and/or finesse than a regular AO...

3) During special Zeus events, e.g. on EU4, Zeus should aim to include as many as possible, but should also have the option to make the mission the way he wants it. Difficulty could range from "rookie hour on EU #1" to "hardcore mil-sim", but his event announcement must properly inform what is expected from the players that join up.

As for the reward, aside from a good time (which I hope they have, but is very subjective), it is the only way Zeus can show appreciation for joining his mission and bringing up the extra effort that was (likely) required. On EU #1 and #2, it could also be used to "balance" the former side mission rewards (e.g. if Zeus has been online for a while, and noticed mainly pilots have received rewards from previous side missions, he can give something that better benefits ground troops, or vice versa).

In my opinion, Zeus should also apply finesse to his rewards, blend them in the story of his mission or his feel to how the AO progresses.

For example:

- An enemy helicopter over the main AO is a PITA to many players over an extended period of time. When it's finally shot down, Zeus can create a scenario where instead of it being destroyed, it was able to crash-land somewhere, and if players can secure it before the enemy retrieves the pilots and blows up the heli, they can recover it for personal use.

- An attack on an enemy installation, or just disabling a vehicle until units leave instead of destroying it could provide a map or folder with some intel on a current or future AO.

- If players are having a tough time with an AO, Zeus could leave 1 or more damaged or "abandoned" enemy vehicles at random places in the AO, where they may or may not be found.

1 minute ago, Eagle-Eye said:

I'd say it depends on the mission...

1) When enhancing an AO, either by controlling AI or by using "sub-missions", Zeus should completely fold to players, in order to enhance their experience and/or help them complete the AO.

2) When stand-alone missions are created on EU #1 and #2, I think they should ideally meet somewhere in the middle, though leaning more towards the players.

As Zeus, you should be able to estimate what your audience is capable of and create your mission accordingly, while as player, you should be aware that most Zeus-missions require a bit more teamwork and/or finesse than a regular AO...

3) During special Zeus events, e.g. on EU4, Zeus should aim to include as many as possible, but should also have the option to make the mission the way he wants it. Difficulty could range from "rookie hour on EU #1" to "hardcore mil-sim", but his event announcement must properly inform what is expected from the players that join up.

Counter: If you make the zeus ops too difficult, your players won't come back. I've seen it waaaaaaaaaay too many times to a large range of players, both noobs and pros. people come to Zeus ops to be entertained and a thrill, and a challenge second. Trust me... your playerbase is everything when it comes for zeus ops...

You get more leeway as a zeus for a public server because the playerbase is already there for the server's I and A, but again, don't ever, EVER be a reason why people LEAVE the server...that's a no no... (of course I don't have the authority to say that here but in my opinion that's common sense...)

I have literally no idea who to side with in this thread, since everybody has fair points. But I must admit that I found it pretty hilarious that we had a 155mm Cluster round flying right into the spawn, killing about 10 people after one of the new spartans thought that it was a good idea to give them an artillery tank as a reward for doing his mission.

Totally didn't see that one coming. Though, I think their "styles" of Zeusing should adjust to the playerbase eventually. Just give them some time. Best thing would be to pin the post with the "do's and don'ts".

blindsided-by-breakup-didnt-see-it-comin

I was among those who died horribly that day.

Valid points, Liru, hence why Zeus should aim to include as many as possible and the must to inform applicants properly. It's also a matter of knowing your player base, of course. I know I said "hardcore mil-sim", but I think we all know and agree we won't find many players like that in EU 1 / 2, definitely not enough to fill an event, and creating an event mainly for EU 3 / 6 players isn't a smart move (or possible, AFAIK) for the new Spartans.

11 minutes ago, Winter said:

I have literally no idea who to side with in this thread, since everybody has fair points. But I must admit that I found it pretty hilarious that we had a 155mm Cluster round flying right into the spawn, killing about 10 people after one of the new spartans thought that it was a good idea to give them an artillery tank as a reward for doing his mission.

Totally didn't see that one coming. Though, I think their "styles" of Zeusing should adjust to the playerbase eventually. Just give them some time. Best thing would be to pin the post with the "do's and don'ts".

This is why we need to limit the freaking rewards... that's not a zeus style, that's just BS waiting to be abused...

3 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

Valid points, Liru, hence why Zeus should aim to include as many as possible and the must to inform applicants properly. It's also a matter of knowing your player base, of course. I know I said "hardcore mil-sim", but I think we all know and agree we won't find many players like that in EU 1 / 2, definitely not enough to fill an event, and creating an event mainly for EU 3 / 6 players isn't a smart move (or possible, AFAIK) for the new Spartans.

And I completely agree. the better you can judge your playerbase, the better operations that you can design for their skill levels. if I have more snipers, i'm adding more statics for them to pick off. If they have veteran AT gunners, i'm adding more ground vehicles to the op. If they bring AA, i'll bring in a chopper for them to swat, etc.

The true reward zeus players get though, is the shenanigans that results from these ops...

2 hours ago, Winter said:

artillery tank as a reward

Oh god why! That's just asking for mass team killing!

So... the recent bombardment on friendlies at AO and at spawn on Thursday (20161020; around 0900hrs +8 GMT), that was the work of a friendly artillery tank?! If so, it totally killed my mood cos I have limited time on AW daily. Like @Winter, I was there and nobody had a clue. The most unfair part is the message showing innocent party 'teamkilling' me and the squad near me. @Auntystatic was the affected party.

Do's and don'ts is not enough. They need on-job-training that requires guidance as suggested by @TheScar.

Edited by fir_nev
Content

Ahhh was that what it was? No one had a clue what had happened, but to be killed by a big explosion while lying in a field looking for an enemy sniper that was picking off our guy's at the radio tower mission, then seeing the messages scrolling up saying I had team killed everyone around me was a shock, then we hear the base was a wreck and it looked like it had been hit by a B52 bomber, the arsenal and everything had gone most things were a burning wreck, so we asked baconmop and xOderusUrungusX to look at the server as we thought it was throwing a fit, shortly thereafter it was all fixed and back to normal (thanks guy's).

I think the Achilles mod is now almost a must for Zeus. I use it all the time. It offers way more flexibility and customisation than Ares base. If you want to change the weather, for example, there is a smooth transition mode that allows you to change the weather without the ugly sudden change. It also allows you to customise the type of infantry reinforcements drop in so you can vary the squad size to fit the number of players playing the mission. Along with this and so many other, better features makes Achilles a must have imo. It is quite worrying to hear that it wont be added as an allowed mod :mellow:

Reading all the posts in this topic (and reading the first post a second time), I only see a single thing:

The player base on #EU1 and #EU2 is not used to ZEUS gameplay, while the (new) Spartans are still learning how to enhance the gameplay for these users.

And with "not used to ZEUS gameplay" I mean: They expect (stupid) AI, instead a real player.

Something which I always do while playing ArmA, is expecting the AI to be real people and being able to think and act like a person. This means that I'm always cautious while moving around and approaching an AO, for possible attacks/ambushes/IEDs/etc.

I can image that some people don't like this, and it's always important for the active Zeus to keep this in mind, but I also think that a lot of people do like it when there's an extra challenge (instead of "spawn, kill, win, repeat"). Eg. for me, I don't play on #EU1&2 simply because there's no challenge at all with all the rocket snipers who just sit safely at a rock at 2km from the AO worrying about their K/D ratio...

So don't just rant at the active Zeus for destroying your evening, but think about how you could have done it better (always expect the worst) AND give feedback to the active Zeus about how he/she can improve your gameplay (in a nice way, not bitching around).

@Spartans:

Please keep doing what you're doing! But keep in mind the players who don't like it.

Some ideas which you can do to both make it fun for you, and for the players on the server:

- Within/around an AO, simply send AI groups towards groups of players who are just camping and taking shots from a safe distance. Try not to spawn too much new units, and try to prevent spawning (armoured) vehicles and static weapons.

- If you see a huge group of players camping at a hill, create a secondary objective at the AO, where they have to destroy a mortar pit (which you can create within the AO, with a marker). Then send out a message in sidechat, telling that you did this (equals warning to campers), and wait 3-5 minutes. When nobody reacts, use the mortar crew to scare away the campers (eg. send single mortar round 50-100 meters from group) and repeat this every 2-3 minutes when they don't react while closing the distance.

- When there are a lot of players present, simply ask if there are players who want to do a simple Zeus mission. If 5-10 people are willing to do this, tell them to prepare while you setup a simple mission far away from any other action. This shouldn't take longer than 15-30 minutes to finish and can be as simple as "Kill the HVT" or "Clear out village X".

Most importantly is to communicate with the players, so that everyone knows what to expect, and who to go to to give feedback.

And to the "Don't kill players as Zeus" discussion; if Zeus gave 3-4 warning shots and nobody reacts, then please aim for the head... ArmA is a military simulation game, it's meant to kill and to be killed (and not have a nice K/D ratio).

1 hour ago, Grezvany13 said:

- If you see a huge group of players camping at a hill, create a secondary objective at the AO, where they have to destroy a mortar pit

With I&A3, it will not be possible. I always see myself bouncing between AO and Priority Target: Artillery.

I need to make my short sessions in AW worthwhile. I sometimes have to leave AO mid-way for work and it can take a long time with the new missions.

So, the last thing I want, while having to endure idiotic players who steal Ur ride which U painstakingly took the time to load and drive, is to have Zeus controlling AIs. I like IWasOnceATeddy's style in a way of estimating if I have enough ATs and APs to throw armours my way while rocket sniping...

Reading all the posts in this topic (and reading the first post a second time)

its hard to believe you did reading your response

I don't play on #EU1&2 simply because there's no challenge at all with all the rocket snipers who just sit safely at a rock at 2km from the AO worrying about their K/D ratio...

so you base your statement on pure assumption?

@Spartans:

Please keep doing what you're doing! But keep in mind the players who don't like it.

srsly,in the end i came to play I+A,not a "ZEUSenhancedCOOPmission" that "contains" I+A

I already gave up to expect any constructive reply from this topic at all,but i expected that the ZEUS in question reflect their actions a bit more carefull.

I took part in about 2-3% of all ZEUS missions available in my playtime,i dont really like to play "custom" missions in missions,thats why i usually dont go for any ZEUS mission in the first place and even try to avoid traveling pass/along/across em to not be faced with it.

My choice.

But,and thats why i posted the examples,to give you a impression of "what you might face" while playing your game and be focused on your mission only to be faced with various ways of being stopped in your effort is,once again,not the way this being fly!

Sorry,picked your post as example for my reply,dont take offense - its more a general sadface over the level of missing the point to OP.

Nuff said ...

On 25/10/2016 at 2:17 PM, TheScar said:

I already gave up to expect any constructive reply from this topic at all, but i expected that the ZEUS in question reflect their actions a bit more carefull.

[...]

its more a general sadface over the level of missing the point to OP.

May I be so free to ask what you would consider a "constructive reply" then? If I now reread your opening post, you seem to be expressing your disappointment about the way 1 or more (new) Spartans handle things. The discussion that follows helps (new) Zeus operators see where they went wrong, so they can learn from their mistakes by sharing experiences, tips and tricks, feedback from several people on what they expect from and as a Zeus, and most importantly, a clear-cut list of Do's and Don'ts provided by the staff. To that effect, I see plenty of useful and constructive replies, and I can not see clearly how we are missing the point of the opening post, unless you had a totally different direction for this topic in mind?

On 25/10/2016 at 2:17 PM, TheScar said:

to give you a impression of "what you might face" while playing your game and be focused on your mission only to be faced with various ways of being stopped in your effort is,once again,not the way this being fly!

This I don't get. I could be (very) wrong, but all the things you say are giving me the impression that you want I&A to be a walk in the park on a sunny day, and in your eyes, the only purpose of Zeus's presence is to pester you by putting a small stone in your shoe again and again, no matter how many times you take it out. The way I understand it, you are open to the concept, albeit hesitantly and if you had any say in it, you would actually prefer to see Zeus removed from public I&A?

That being said, the examples of Zeus interaction you provided might indeed be over the top, but in reality, as said before, no sensible opposing force would just let you stroll through an AO they control, or have you decimate it from kilometres away without retaliation, or have their VIP / officer taken prisoner / questioned just like that, or ... As such, wouldn't "various ways of being stopped in your effort" be a normal thing to expect, and thus be an integral and basic part of your plan and mission execution? Obviously, you shouldn't expect a full-on assault force at all ranges, but within 2km from objective, it doesn't seem too far-fetched that you would switch to tactical mode and expect a few patrols, forward observers, checkpoints, ...

The unfortunate truth, however, is that ArmA AI is often too stupid or the AO resources too limited to do what would be realistic, which is why all of the above works, so sometimes Zeus has to take their hand to send them on their way of being a worthy opponent. Although, based on the short time I spent on I&A3 today, I feel like Zeus might actually need to tune down AI a bit now. :P (not saying I will, just noticed AI is A LOT more lethal nowadays)

1 hour ago, Eagle-Eye said:

That being said, the examples of Zeus interaction you provided might indeed be over the top

this in short is all i wanted to hear, a opinion on those actions i mentioned.

To anything else you brought up,there s about 1% correct about me/my missions/my expectations in what you assume it to be.

I (pre-)plan my routes,my gear,my actions,when and how,from where,use concealment and cover,exfil routes in case of ... you get my point.

I dont "underestimate" my stuff and if i do,i happy take the blame for it with myself.

Thats not the point at all.

I assume you never took part in some of my "engagements",i m not saying this in a way to offend you at all,but i imply if you d be used to my way of play you d take a quite different assumption.

(at least i assume that myself)

If chance occures,feel free to hit me up ingame for going for a objective together,so you might see for yourself.

I get stuff done,thats my main occupation in the game.

Getting my objective done.

Or die while trying.

:rolleyes:

I hate dying,dont be fooled,i ll pull any trick available in order to survive (ingame)

20 hours ago, TheScar said:

Or die while trying.

:rolleyes:

So what's the problem then? The Zeus(es) managed to kill you while trying, so objective complete :)

But instead of making this a "Yes-No" topic where we attack each other, we should use this as a moment to give feedback to how things can be improved.

And we all know that a single solution won't fit everyone, although that's why AW isn't the only one with A3 servers, let's make this a possible topic where people are willing to give their opinions and ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Just played for several hours on EU1 with a Zeus (@Liru the Lcpl.) and got killed over and over again while trying to be a mortar team.

Although I gave him the benefit of the doubt of not messing with us, watching his Twitch stream afterward made me believe that he activily was messing with us (and basically every player on the server). After pointing this out he simply said that he didn't do anything and it was all AI, however his stream proves otherwise.

As I said before; I believe the Zeus should enhance the gameplay of the players on the server, which may include directing AI to the right direction. However, actively sending overpower AI (BTR or Tigris to a small squad) is NOT enhancing gameplay.

Link to stream: https://www.twitch.tv/lcpl_liru/v/102094651

Pointers:

1:58:10 Sending BTR to mortar position

2:15:00 Stealing vehicle and gear of mortar crew

2:20:00 Telling "us" (follow chat by "Fierce PC") he didn't do anything

And these are just 3 things which I could quickly find (more happened before and after).

I'm not saying that Liru should be revoked directly from his Zeus permissions, although I think this is the classic example of how it should not be done.

Hopefully we all learn something from this, and I hope the AW staff can use this to set up better guidelines on how it should be done.

Just played for several hours on EU1 with a Zeus (@Liru the Lcpl.) and got killed over and over again while trying to be a mortar team.

Although I gave him the benefit of the doubt of not messing with us, watching his Twitch stream afterward made me believe that he activily was messing with us (and basically every player on the server). After pointing this out he simply said that he didn't do anything and it was all AI, however his stream proves otherwise.

As I said before; I believe the Zeus should enhance the gameplay of the players on the server, which may include directing AI to the right direction. However, actively sending overpower AI (BTR or Tigris to a small squad) is NOT enhancing gameplay.

Link to stream: https://www.twitch.tv/lcpl_liru/v/102094651

Pointers:

1:58:10 Sending BTR to mortar position

2:15:00 Stealing vehicle and gear of mortar crew

2:20:00 Telling "us" (follow chat by "Fierce PC") he didn't do anything

And these are just 3 things which I could quickly find (more happened before and after).

I'm not saying that Liru should be revoked directly from his Zeus permissions, although I think this is the classic example of how it should not be done.

Hopefully we all learn something from this, and I hope the AW staff can use this to set up better guidelines on how it should be done.

*cracks knuckles*

Pointer 1: I sent a BTR From the northern side of the AO to you guys at the southern side of the AO on the hill with the castle on it after you brought 4 hunters up to that hill, had multiple CSAT airstrikes pepper that hill, and artillery cake that hill. Logically CSAT would send something up there to confirm the kills. I already sent 3 fire teams up there and you guys took them out, so naturally i'd send something bigger. the AO is a giant open field and that BTR took about 10 minutes from the northern side of the AO to get to you, so you had a 10 minute time frame to call AT to your position or at least call out the BTR. You were using command chat and the BTR came in the same direction (down to the same path) as the fire teams, so there's no excuse. I've zeused on that AO 4 times already and the first three times the vehicles were normally taken out pretty quickly so it was surprising to see that BTR climb all the way up there. Furthermore you actually DID have AT with you because you were still able to blow it up once it got to the hill, so that's on you buddy.

Pointer 2: I do it all the time. If you're going to leave a bunch of vehicles out and about, CSAT should be able to salvage them. If you don't like it, either guard the freaking vehicles or use them. the fact that I can sneak a single CSAT guy past a squad of NATO troops and actually take the vehicle is not a reflection on my end, but your own eye sight.

Pointer 3: he was claiming that I was intentionally aiming the AI Scorchers onto his position, which is run by a script within the server. I was merely stating for the record that I have no control where the scorchers prioritize there targets.

I could keep going but honestly, what's the point? Then again, I love discussing actions and helping people to make improvements and all, and also, shout out to you for checking the stream out ^_^ 

It should also be noted that on the next AO, when the mortar team changed its position to be further back from the new AO, they were only engaged ONCE by myself, and it wasn't even to kill them, it was merely for effect via placing a red smoke shell, waiting 15 seconds, then placing a single 155mm strike north of there position, and they dispersed properly and I made sure NOT to kill any of them. The fact that you kept dying on the mortar team on THAT AO was to enemy artillery fire and airstrikes which I can't control, and the BTR was a single incident I used to keep the pressure going, and I was shocked to find it actually get there. if I meant for the BTR to be a big thing, I would have followed it from the northern side of the AO all the way to your position, hell I would have remote controlled it,

Seriously find all the points you want, I can easily justify any of your gripes. I've been hosting Zeus ops for 4 years, and can justify every single one of my actions. the stream is for evidence if these sort of threats ever come to me. on top of this, I now co-zeus with luetin09, so by all means, call me inept.

In conclusion: Don't blame the zeus for the AI and server scripts.

15 minutes ago, Liru the Lcpl. said:

Pointer 3: he was claiming that I was intentionally aiming the AI Scorchers onto his position, which is run by a script within the server. I was merely stating for the record that I have no control where the scorchers prioritize there targets.

Stuff like this really grinds my gears. I could tab-out to watch a video for 5 minutes and then come back to see 3 people flaming me because i apparently killed them with some sort of explosives or spawned enemies behind them that they didnt see in the first place. Just because Zeus is on the server doesn't mean we are responsible for EVERYTHING that kills you.

10 minutes ago, Liru the Lcpl. said:

Seriously find all the points you want, I can easily justify any of your gripes. I've been hosting Zeus ops for 4 years, and can justify every single one of my actions. the stream is for evidence if these sort of threats ever come to me. on top of this, I now co-zeus with luetin09, so by all means, call me inept.

In conclusion: Don't blame the zeus for the AI and server scripts.

Doing Zeus ops for 4 years still doesn't make you an expert, and co-zeusing with Leutin is something completely different. EU1 is a public server with arcade players, not a server where teamplay is enforced up to a semi-realistic level.

And I certainly don't blame you for the AI and server scripts; I do blame you for letting people rage-quit because you as a Zeus destroyed their game.

In the end it's the job of Zeus to make it a more challanging game for the players, not to have fun killing as much people as possible. As a Zeus you have the all-seeing-eye and can see where everyone/everything is, but the last thing you should do is abuse that "power" for your own entertainment.

Watching back large parts of your stream, the only thing I noticed was you having fun killing players (and sometimes where the AI didn't or even couldn't see).

3 minutes ago, IOnceWasATeddy said:

Stuff like this really grinds my gears. I could tab-out to watch a video for 5 minutes and then come back to see 3 people flaming me because i apparently killed them with some sort of explosives or spawned enemies behind them that they didnt see in the first place. Just because Zeus is on the server doesn't mean we are responsible for EVERYTHING that kills you.

I completely understand that, and I even said in-game that Zeus can't be blamed for everything since the AI is unpredictable sometimes.

But if the difference between AI on it's own and AI directed by Zeus is too obvious (like dying every 5 minutes instead of 30 minutes), then there's a big problem in my eyes.

Like I said, I want my post to be used as feedback towards the Zeuses so that the players can have a better time on the servers. And my experience with Liru this evening was in my opinion a case of how it shouldn't be done.

It would be very wise to cease all zeus actions on eu1. This server and its playerbase is not suited for zeusing, people join to play invade and annex. Spicing up and so on is most of the time annoying and it keeps me from joining the server. Beside, i get regular messages from players i know and play with on eu1 a long time . Beside is the cockyness and greed for popularity of some of them is harming for ahoyworld. The attitude from the last few posts reflects and confirms this.

27 minutes ago, Grezvany13 said:

Doing Zeus ops for 4 years still doesn't make you an expert, and co-zeusing with Leutin is something completely different. EU1 is a public server with arcade players, not a server where teamplay is enforced up to a semi-realistic level.

And I certainly don't blame you for the AI and server scripts; I do blame you for letting people rage-quit because you as a Zeus destroyed their game.

In the end it's the job of Zeus to make it a more challanging game for the players, not to have fun killing as much people as possible. As a Zeus you have the all-seeing-eye and can see where everyone/everything is, but the last thing you should do is abuse that "power" for your own entertainment.

Watching back large parts of your stream, the only thing I noticed was you having fun killing players (and sometimes where the AI didn't or even couldn't see).

first paragraph: I wont address nor counter to prevent a potential argument, and I know it's arcade. I rarely use artillery, I normally use what's at the AO or give small reinforcement to it, and apply additional reinforcements to help keep the combat going.

Second paragraph: If players who bring AT can't destroy a BTR until it gets right on top of them, a BTR that can naturally be a part of ANY AO. That's not my fault, and I did not break any of Zissou's rules illustrated in the second page of this thread.

Third paragraph: I completely agree, and I do think that you're right and I should tone down the player killings, though most of the time when I kill, it's to finish the job that the AI have already lined up. ON TOP OF THIS the kills are aimed to the legs and are meant to put the players in the wound animation so a medic can heal them. it's always been that way.

@PiranhA That would nullify the point of Spartans and the rank itself, but it's up to the admins. Also, "cockyness and greed for popularity" ?

I think it would be wise if I stopped the replies from my end and just waited for an admin's ruling because at this point, based on what I've just had the pleasure of dealing with for the past hour, this will quickly derail the thread and that's pointless.

Its the whole intention of this post to question the use of spartans and zeusses.

Ive reported some incidents to the admins but not much has happend so far becouse it is hard to proof the goof. Beside, spartans dont clear anything on given questions, iow they (including you) dodge players questions by not giving clarity on some of the actions to me but foremost to strangers.

Despite the rules zissou it is not really clear on how to enforce it and where the line is and for most non ahoy people something unknown. Adding to all of this is the zeusses doing how they think (and pleases) is right without a clear insight of the reasons and/or idea what the majority expects on eu1 except "pimping AO's" most lately. Its called Invade and annex.