ZEUS actions

TheScar

Right,over the past weeks on my playtime i notice a increase of ZEUS missions (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) but also a rapidly change in ZEUS actions!

Back when this ZEUS thing came to A3 the gods focused on creating custom missions for a certain part of the community,helped out players and enforced server rules (to a limit) as a "right hand of admin".

Nowadays tho,i witness a certain "overconfidence" on the (newer) ZEUS´s.

In example,i got several screens of occasions a ZEUS thougt to "improve" side missions which turn out to either make the mission way longer and stressy than it used to be,up to a point where they complety fuck up any motivation on continueing the begone mission.

Background INTEL:

Spoiler

In example,a few days ago i was driving with a (newer) player (to I+A) for a side mission,we both had Hunters and were about 1,5k off the side mission as we faced a "checkpoint" on the road that was created by a ZEUS (which name isnt important yet) in order to stop our movement.

Approaching said certain checkpoint,i was just typing in group chat giving strategy and plan to my comrade in arms,we got surprised with our pants down,i crushed over half of the infantry on that checkpoint,stopped to HMG them close up as i got wiped by a AT soldier close by.

So this very checkpoint wasted 2 Hunters,8min drive,5min load up and about 15min of time from both of us while achieving what?

Exactly,nothing.

Later that night,another INTEL mission,this time i was going for it alone and scouted the location properly,being faced with roughly 6 squads of enemy infantry,a Sniper team on overwatch and realised this was another "from ZEUS enforced" mission - so im going for it with special caution.

Im taking out the escape cars,then cut the overwhelming guard inf with help of APs and HMG,realising the officer gone off by foot in a North direction.

My Hunter had a flat tire,so pursuiting him in car wasnt an  option so i gone for him on foot.

I caught him in the woods N of mission,alone and without guards,so i flanked him and came on him from above to make sure he cant escape me.

Coming close,the usal message appread "INTEL spotted you and is trying to  escape".

Im dropping my MRPL launcher and my ammo to be faster and running for the officer while watching the enemy snipers pos.

I caught up to him,but as i pressed the "Surrender" button,he s not stopping,he s doing a rabbit escape 90degree turn and ran faster away.

This the moment i realsied ZEUS was fkking with me again and so i dropped any motivation to continue - the option to shoot the officer came up my brain,but i m not that kind of guy.

I marked the officer position to a nearby comrade in a tank,assuming he might give it a try and turned around walkign for base.

But the other guy had no clue what to do as the officer/INTEL wasnt at start pos anymore,so he also started to turn back for base.

10 sec later the message "INTEL has escaped" came up,as i came over the 500m-distance marker to officer.

So,this the 2nd time a "ZEUS" screwed valuable effort and time just to raise his skills on ZEUSing shit onto the map.

And just now,yet again another INTEL mission (Salt Lake) i already recon´d and partly engaged the mission,another player that came on this mission got shot close up by the (tireless) cars and scanning the situation,deeming it safe to leave the Officer (he ran for the Salt Lake,stopped there,not alerted) in order to revive the guy on FOB Monoball,then continue the mission and get the officer together.

As i m loading him into my Hunter i notice a Taru landing near officer and i fired my last shots in the HMG and (i m pretty sure) i killed the pilot.THe Taru landed,the officer got in and in a "oh fkk" moment like this,i fired my AA Titans to stop the Taru and hope to crash him (not to hard) on SaltLake.

Which didnt worked out,the Taru took both  my Titans and was off to Molos.

Fine,i m now really pissed,but still got this "waiting to revive" guy in my car and so we head on a partly damaged Hunter with 20kmh to FOB Monoball while heavily cursing in chat to the ZEUS about his clear troll action.

Needless to say,i discussed to much and came to the med HMTT around 4sec to late - sorry dart!

So this is story no.3 in just 4 days with the same ZEUS ...

This morning,playing with low player count early a ZEUS decided to spawn himself CAS airplanes to support troops ... better.

Way to go and yet i get my pink KUMAs denied ... but fun aside,this is clearly abuse!

There s more stories on other ZEUS´s too,i m just not feeling like dishing all my cards out yet!

So,what does this leads to?

Firstly,i wanna quote this

Respect game immersion

• Do not hinder, pester or “troll” other players during their gameplay. This includes blocking doors, following other players around excessively.

Imo this above mentioned examples do perfectly qualify for this.

ZEUS´s are here to improve gameplay,enhance gameplay and help securing the server (to a extend).

There s is absolutly no need to ZEUS on anybody when said players do not wish to be conflicted with any ZEUS creations,hence even keeping way off ZEUS missions to not get involved.

Improving a mission just because you can is not the wished behaviour for a ZEUS (imo) and i m eagerly waiting for a HQ response to the abov mentioned events.

This is not how i want my I+A to turn out,you got "special" ZEUS servers,if you feel the need to play the overconfident ZEUS,fel free to play on EU4 and dont take your god given shit to EU1 if you cannot accept simple borders of creation!

EU1 is a "beginner/starter" server,imo 1-2 ZEUS missions per 24h is doable,but i applaude for cutting down their actions by a lot because its simply put "tiresome" to face "mission beginners and their crazy thinking of how a MP mission should work on  daily basis.

There sure is more to say,but this is ok to get a discussion started.

Raise your opinions,critic,suggestions and even improvements here - i m expecting a shitload of response by the usual naabs here too,so i ll bite back.

And lets see how HQ thinks about the actions of their created gods!

Cause this is certainly NOT my AHOY anymore if this continues!

As background for those who don't know: earlier this week, 4 guys (incl. myself) have been accepted as Spartans, and thus given Zeus powers on the AW servers. This is why you will probably see a bit more Zeus presence in the upcoming weeks.

As for my personal background and goals as Spartan, if anyone's interested:
First of all, I should say that before Wednesday, I had zero experience with Zeus in multiplayer. What I DO have, is a lot of time spent in the editor and a vivid imagination. :) As such, expect a few crazy ideas and hick-ups here and there while I discover what I can and cannot do with my new powers. As of 2012, however, I've been responsible for flight ops, training and creating realistic missions for a mil-sim F-16 squadron in BMS, so I should know a thing or two about setting a scenario.

My initial aim as Spartan is to discover the functionalities and possibilities by enhancing AI to a more realistic level. What this could mean is that I will put in more defences to protect a VIP or strategic location(s); place units in overwatch or forward observing positions; have OPFOR scout, flank or pincer a position where they would realistically suspect or know BLUFOR units to be located etc. Once I get the hang of things, and find a proper balance, I will probably start creating separate events.

While I am Zeus, I will take positive control of AI that does not do what I think a real person would do (opinions will undoubtedly vary on this matter), in which case, I will from time to time actively engage BLUFOR. Though I usually give a warning about my presence when I'm remotely controlling a unit (e.g. popping a smoke grenade, missing the first shots intentionally), BLUFOR units may get hit and/or killed by my fire occasionally. If someone gets killed, the way how and reason why he died will decide my further actions. After a stray hit, I'll apologize, heal / revive you if I can, or teleport you back after you respawn. Land a Ghosthawk in clear line of sight of an Ifrit GMG, however, and remorse won't strike me as much... ;)

Aside from the mission enhancing/creating. I will do what you say a Zeus should do: assist wherever I can, while keeping an eye out for any questionable actions. Have a question or need help? Ask, and I'll give you the answer if I know it. Destroy BLUFOR assets (players and vehicles alike), and I will call you out on it. If it has an impact on the AO's progress (e.g. crashing a UAV or heli into the Radio Tower to destroy it), I will act accordingly. This may include the "Wrath of Zeus", so to speak.

All that being said, I am aware I will have to find a balance between what I aim to do and intervening too much. I try to be firm, but fair. If you feel that is not the case, please call me out on it (in-game chat, Teamspeak or PM here) so we can discuss and I can learn. :) I think, though I can not be certain of course, that this is true for the others as well, and things should settle soon enough.

Well said Eagle-eye. Yes Scar i do see your frustrations, but the Spartans have a extremely steep learning curve this week and upcoming weeks, it really takes a long time to get that balance right, between fun and not fun, i.e too many units so people get bored and log off, or too little and they mash through the mission in 5 minutes. We can guide and show the way to spartan only so much, they do have to work things out on their own :). As Eagle said, if you do have any problems then please message an admin or to the spartan explaining your feelings. But thanks for letting us know. 

I think it would be nice to just give a subtle warning in side chat when a Zeus is going to be adding/changing an existing AO/Side mission. This would give the players going to the mission a "heads up", so they know to be extra cautious. Then there's the argument that players should be cautious at all times... no, just no.

Other than that, I think the best solution for this, especially for the newer Spartans, is that if you have a lot of time and want to change a mission significantly, then just make a Zeus mission. Then keep the smaller changes for the existing missions as that's what players are expecting.

I saw some clumsy moves this week. I hope spartans will improve or somebody will show them the door if they will fail at that.

I also saw some really good touches that made experience on server better!

I have around 300h as a Zeus for small (6-8 players) circle of my friends. Here are some things i learned in that time sorted by importance.

1. YOU ARE NOT PLAYING AGAINST PLAYERS BUT WITH THEM!

Think how you can make their experience better. Sometimes you can get frustrated by your AI but never target that frustration towards players. Do not rise skill level just because you think players should die more. Stick to skill and aim skill you set at begining and raise those before only for special (story) units. Never use max.

2. LESS IS MORE!

In every situation. Think about this every time you are doing something as a Zeus.

3. NO HOSTAGE SITUATIONS ON PUBLIC SERVERS!

Are you frustrated that civilians/hostages are caput? Dont be and expect that your nice briefing notes will be seldomly read.

4. NEVER KILL A PLAYER WHILE IN REMOTE!

This is for the pros and pacifist monks amongs Zeus crowd. Spray all you want, suppress them, scare them, but never kill them. Leave AI to do dirty work for you. Also NEVER use TARGET command on player. You will save yourself some sour looks from players.

Those are some rules from the top of my head.

As always, sorry for my english. Hope i got my massage across :)

Agree with those well written points from Cebi. 

Last night there were lightning strikes left,  right and centre and it felt like Zeus himself was online and having a party. 

That said the hotel assault a few nights ago was great fun. So I look forward to more but hope the right touches are used, but of course this takes time. 

Did you post this cause of the Zeus mission I had built yesterday which all the sudden had a side mission spawn right beside it Scar? If so, I can't really apologize as I could not have known beforehand the side mission was about to spawn close to where I'm building. However I do feel sorry if this ruined your gameplay this drastically which made you post this thread to express your frustrations.

If it was something else, then don't mind this post :D

5 hours ago, Jason. said:

Then there's the argument that players should be cautious at all times... no, just no.

Out of curiosity: why not? (provided Zeus sticks to the AO area of course)

4 hours ago, Cebi said:

I have around 300h as a Zeus for small (6-8 players) circle of my friends. Here are some things i learned in that time sorted by importance.

While I agree with what you say, I think you can see how it's easier to scale a mission for <10 units than it is for 30+ players, as you can impose hardware restrictions and set up a few basic guidelines to better suit your operation? I've built a few Zeus missions from scratch now, and like Chuck says, the hardest decisions I had to make were: do I have enough or too many units? Should I add more armour, maybe AA, or actually take some away?

It doesn't help that it's a public server .. If there are 20 players on the server now, I check the mission and it looks perfect to me, that may all change when a few minutes later, a few guys leave and the mission is suddenly too hard. Likewise, if more people join or someone rolls into the AO with a tank, it's far too easy. Personally, I'm against just spawning or deleting units to accommodate the current number of players, because I would not be able to do anything else if that were the case.

There is one rule I like to discuss a bit more, as it is the most controversial one... Killing players as Zeus: Do or don't? (maybe worthy of its own topic, if there isn't one already?)

In my opinion, as said before, I don't see the harm in it IF done fairly... The way I see it, first shots should always be harmless (smoke, or missing shots very wide). It's main purpose is really to make the player aware he was spotted, and in case of direct fire maybe to highlight the Zeus position, to give the player a fighting chance. After the warning, wide shots should begin closing in. If the player still doesn't run away or look for (sensible) cover, I see no harm in aiming to injure / kill. Most likely, regardless of age or skill level, next time that player takes a shot, he'll duck...

There are exceptions to the above, however. If players make stupid decisions, Zeus should be allowed to punish them, because that's just how combat works... Even in real air combat training, the "aggressors" are often meant to be nothing more than an opposing force (note: not threat) to be "shot down", but they can and will abuse every single mistake a rookie pilot makes. If that gets the rookie pilot "killed", he can use the debriefing and experience to avoid making the same mistake the next time, which may save his life some day.

Coming back on the example I used above, which did really happen just the other day.. A Ghosthawk pilot needs to pick up a few units and lands his helicopter on the beach, completely oblivious to the Ifrit GMG that is standing just 100m further, even though it was still firing at the units requesting pick up. If, for whatever reason, the AI is too stupid to notice or do anything about the big black metal bird coming down into his line of sight (which was the case), why wouldn't Zeus be allowed to step in and do it himself?

22 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

7 hours ago, Jason. said:

Then there's the argument that players should be cautious at all times... no, just no.

Out of curiosity: why not? (provided Zeus sticks to the AO area of course)

You've kinda answered your own question there.

What I said doesn't apply so much for actual Zeus missions, as for that it makes sense to expect the unexpected and so to be extra cautious. 

But more for setting "ambushes" to players going to/from a mission.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when I hear people say that as an excuse for taking out a group of players who thought they were safe.

Currently killing players while controlling a unit in zeus will display a friendly fire message, with your name on it. So now i dont think it would be a great idea to kill people as zeus , people will accuse you of team killing. Also if the message did appear i  would only kill players in zeus if the've had many warnings shots in the general direction and made no attempt to get to better cover.

As with the ambushes i would leave them alone, only make the missions have more units or place some structures to change the map up a little, leave the ambushes to zeus missions , where you have told them to expect them. People playing I&A normally wont expect them. yes yes yes, thats the point of ambushes... but people will soon get fed up with them and leave. 

P.S lightning bolts have splash damage so watch out.

I see how people get frustrated, but as Chuck said; the Spartans are pretty new to the multiplayer side of stuff and involving the player's emotion in their enhancement.

Whenever you feel like something is off or not going how it should be going; feel free to engage in a debate with the Spartan in question and share your vision/ideology with him. Don't go around the person and put up a public topic proving your point and how the other person is wrong, that only escalates the situation.

If talking to them changes their way positively; give yourself a pat on the back.
If they refuse to listen or change - or are being generally over-abusive or breaking rules; feel free to send me a PM as I'm currently in charge of the Spartan Program.

Please refrain from negative comments as the new Spartans are pushed to the limit already with the change that is facing them - no one like to be called bad at something after just having started doing it.

If you feel like someone is wrong in real life, do you not sort out your differences face to face instead of going behind the person's back to prove your point?

1 hour ago, Jason. said:

You've kinda answered your own question there.

What I said doesn't apply so much for actual Zeus missions, as for that it makes sense to expect the unexpected and so to be extra cautious. 

But more for setting "ambushes" to players going to/from a mission.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when I hear people say that as an excuse for taking out a group of players who thought they were safe.

Okay. :)

Something worth mentioning that I wasn't aware of (and many with me, I think) before I got Zeus's all-seeing eye, is how often units will be spawned far outside the AO circle by default, especially the sniper - spotter duo (which makes sense, I guess). In rare cases, units also don't despawn like they should after AO completion, so it doesn't hurt to be vigilant at all times, as even without Zeus interference, you may be surprised by units where you wouldn't normally expect them. A few weeks ago, for example, I had a side mission where none of the units even entered the indicated AO...

107410_20160914133545_1.png

2 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

There is one rule I like to discuss a bit more, as it is the most controversial one... Killing players as Zeus: Do or don't? (maybe worthy of its own topic, if there isn't one already?)

I don't think a Zeus killing any player directly (ie with a soldier he is directly controlling), unless they are breaking rules, is right. That's like an admin with all seeing eyes killing a player on any other server, it will just cause friction. Use your AI to do the fighting and killing, they can't see enemy positions on a big map.

6 hours ago, MessedUpSmiley said:

/snip  ... the Spartans are pretty new to the multiplayer side of stuff .... /snip

Whenever you feel like something is off or not going how it should be going; feel free to engage in a debate with the Spartan in question and share your vision/ideology with him. Don't go around the person and put up a public topic proving your point and how the other person is wrong, that only escalates the situation.

If you feel like someone is wrong in real life, do you not sort out your differences face to face instead of going behind the person's back to prove your point?

You Sir,definatly must be kidding me ...

There s a few things to say about your reply imo:

•  the Spartans are pretty new to MP

well,the phrase Quality over Quantity comes to mind here - if you cannot ensure to have all your ZEUS being schooled properly on the "how to" make a proper ZEUS mission/action you maybe shouldnt let em act over hours as ZEUS without being overwatched - also a "After Action Debriefing" might come in usefull.

Certainly i dont think a Spartan is made in 2 weeks,it takes at least a few weeks to prepare them for actions on public servers (imo).

Its like in my job,i dont train my pupils to to be Master of Chimney Sweeping in 2 weeks and let em run alone doing MY buisness - i let them run with me for quite a time,to gain experience before i let em hunt alone for customers. I also keep in short range when they r working on their own,so in any case of "emergency" i can ASAP give assistence if needed.

Basic point is that you need quite some time to get proper schooled ZEUS that are aware of doings and limitations in a MP enviroment.

• feel free to engage in a debate with the Spartan in question

Do you really think i didnt made any effort to "inform" the ZEUS´s in action to check their actions more properly or to leave their hands out of things no one asked em for?

Im specifically talking side missions,not any ZEUS mission i took part in and got my ass handed to myself by doing so?

I´ve "informed" all 4 ZEUS´s in question directly about my disliking and guess what happend?

Excatly,nothing ...

• Don't go around the person and put up a public topic proving your point and how the other person is wrong, that only escalates the situation.

No,No,No

I m taking this shit over the time of propably 6 weeks,this isnt the first time i felt the need to open this discussion - but i held myself back for quite some time,always in the hope this certain "attitude" would change.

Sadly,it hasnt - therefor this topic.

Cant take blame,dont take responsibility.

• going behind the person's back to prove your point

And what point do i prove here?

That the actings of some Spartans is quite off to their real duty?

That AW does not school their Spartans proper?

Or just that some "new" ZEUS never should been getting acess to the program in the first place?

Go figure ...

For the moment,thank you all for sharing your opinion in this threat in a constructive way.

the above might reads like a angry,knife between teeth US suburbian had been writing this,but be assured i m not trying to insult anyone in specific there or drop a bucket of acid over the issue in order to have it wreck properly ...

Work hard,play hard - no offense

:blink:

11 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

While I agree with what you say, I think you can see how it's easier to scale a mission for <10 units than it is for 30+ players

It is very much harder to please a larger crowd (as in real life). Mission balance that all players on a server will agree on does not exist. Therefore it is your "Job" as a mission creator to set it up and watch it unfold and give only minor touches to it while players are present.

Did you make it too easy? If they had a good time playing it, even an easy mission is a good experience and you learned that you can provide harder mission next time.

Was it too hard and they failed? If it was their fault like destroying objective, then it is fine. If you made it too hard then it is Your fault they failed. Remember that you are playing with Players, not against them. Maybe provide them more intel next time or suggest them something they missed.

11 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

In my opinion, as said before, I don't see the harm in it IF done fairly...

A Ghosthawk pilot needs to pick up a few units and lands his helicopter on the beach, completely oblivious to the Ifrit GMG that is standing just 100m further, even though it was still firing at the units requesting pick up. If, for whatever reason, the AI is too stupid to notice or do anything about the big black metal bird coming down into his line of sight (which was the case), why wouldn't Zeus be allowed to step in and do it himself?

1. You can rarely do it fairly. You are the Zeus. The only time it is OK in my eyes to kill a player is if it is part of story telling and you have some revive system in place. Also, you can get away with it if Kill messages are off in difficulty option and as ppl before me stated they are on and you will be identified as a Tker. Furthermore, I think the point of the game is to have fun, not to train poor players to be soldiers.

Let me tell you what I would have done instead of controlling gunner and wrecking that GH. I would hop in as a driver and moved the Ifrit. AI will probably notice the GH then and engage without me doing it. My hands would figuratively remain clean.

3 hours ago, TheScar said:

For the moment,thank you all for sharing your opinion in this threat in a constructive way.

you dont seem to get the point ....

In case this above comment is aimed at my OP,click the spoiler :

Spoiler

ded0f26d312d8c9cefb71990ffdcc6df.jpg

I´ll gladly continue this very discussion then via PM,as this is not a suitable place to trade hits ;)

17 minutes ago, Cebi said:

@Phillipo Blendvigski> That was not my intent. I am sorry if I came across like that. English is not my native language so sometimes I have difficulties to express myself in a proper manner. I am trying to share my views and experience and discuss them.

It wasnt directed at you, just the whole post<3

1 hour ago, Phillipo Blendvigski said:

I feel like this post is "how u become a better zeus, because u shit and i can do it x1000 better, but im too lazy to apply"

Thats a simple way of putting something. There are many things in life a person does not want to do (nothing to do with being lazy, it's just not their calling or interest), but they can still speak up if they feel the job being done is questionable.

I might not want to be a taxi driver, but I do want to use the taxi driver's services, but if I knew there was a faster route and the way the driver was taking me added on 10 minutes, I might question if it is the best route. Or of course I could keep quiet, get over charged and take 10 mins longer to get somewhere, and let the driver know that its fine to do every time he drives me anywhere; or after me asking him, he might give me a good reason why he's taking the longer route but me questioning it might help us both figure out the best solution.

9 hours ago, TheScar said:
  • feel free to engage in a debate with the Spartan in question

Do you really think i didnt made any effort to "inform" the ZEUS´s in action to check their actions more properly or to leave their hands out of things no one asked em for?

Im specifically talking side missions,not any ZEUS mission i took part in and got my ass handed to myself by doing so?

I´ve "informed" all 4 ZEUS´s in question directly about my disliking and guess what happend?

Excatly,nothing ...

I'm sorry, but no, you did not approach me to inform me on my wrongs or what I could possibly improve on. I did ask a few posts above whether it was the Zeus mission I had built and all the sudden had a side mission spawn right beside it. No answer to that, so please don't say you did inform all 4 of us, 3 maybe, not me though. In this post you only have expressed your frustrations and not said what extactly changed your gameplay this drastically. I still am unaware what the origins are behind your frustrations and I'm eager to find out.

Also in your post I quoted but cut out, you mentioned your experience has changed over a course of the last 6 weeks? We've just gained 4 new Spartans whom had received their permissions last week. Also unclear what changed your gameplay this drastically those other 5 weeks.

If you wanna do this in public so badly, make sure you add the things that changed everything for you in the last 6weeks, right now you're telling us a story and we're missing it's content, please be more specific.

1 hour ago, D.Devil said:

I'm sorry, but no, you did not approach me to inform me on my wrongs or what I could possibly improve on.

Maybe just because the fact that nothing of my mentioned issues do belong to your concern?

Or it isnt aimed at you at all?

Ever thougt about that?

I didnt mentioned any name for a reason,mostly to keep this off of any name smearing at all ...

And why would i even to?

And my knowledge of you being a ZEUS started yesterday where you told me via public side chat on EU1.

But,feel free to go on ...

1 hour ago, TheScar said:

Maybe just because the fact that nothing of my mentioned issues do belong to your concern?

Or it isnt aimed at you at all?

Ever thougt about that?

I didnt mentioned any name for a reason,mostly to keep this off of any name smearing at all ...

And why would i even to?

And my knowledge of you being a ZEUS started yesterday where you told me via public side chat on EU1.

But,feel free to go on ...

I get why you're not mentioning names, and yes, I have thought about that this isn't specifically aimed towards me. However your story with AI being added to a side mission kinda made it look like you talking about my Zeus mission which all the sudden had a side mission right beside it hence my response.

Regardless, all you've done so far is express your frustrations and haven't mentioned what exactly changed your gameplay this drastically. No need to name names, but it might just help if you give us some more content next time.

May i help then?

On 15.10.2016 at 10:10 PM, TheScar said:

Imo this above mentioned examples do perfectly qualify for this.

ZEUS´s are here to improve gameplay,enhance gameplay and help securing the server (to a extend).

There s is absolutly no need to ZEUS on anybody when said players do not wish to be conflicted with any ZEUS creations,hence even keeping way off ZEUS missions to not get involved.

Improving a mission just because you can is not the wished behaviour for a ZEUS (imo) and i m eagerly waiting for a HQ response to the abov mentioned events.