[Guide] ACE Advanced Medical (2020 Rework)

SkullCollector

• GhostDragon changed the title to [Guide] ACE Advanced Medical Guide

Another excellent guide. Medic is most fun when you know what you are doing and you are able to help many people.  Hopefully this guide will also help the rest know when they actually need a medic, when it's worth asking for a stitch and when you should just patch yourself up. 

23 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

a lot of numbers

and spreadsheets!!:wub::)

Great guide! As you know I always wanted to have a guide like this with a lot of numbers and this one is perfect for that!:)

*Edit*:

23 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

The BAF Bandage Dispenser

• 1 Banana

Hahaha it took me a while to actually see that!:lol: Nice one @SkullCollector:lol::lol:

Edited by Noah_Hero
1 Banana :D

9 minutes ago, BlastaMasta said:

Just a quick question: Why would you bring plasma at all? Why not just take some more saline?

There's no difference between saline, plasma and blood in ACE medical, so why bother?

For me it started as a flavour element, just like how I carried atropine even though it's completely redundant. However, once I switched from a mix of IVs to only saline, I noticed something peculiar: I repeatedly lost track of the amount of IVs I had on me.

What carrying both kinds does is it halves the effort you spend on attention towards counting your bags. I don't look at my inventory at all, or very rarely, because I know I only have so many things on me.

If you started out with 6x 500 ml bags, at any given point you may have between 1 and 6 only judging from the medical menu. Carrying 2x3 tells you at a glance that you'll always have at least 2 as long as you have both entries in the menu. If you then intentionally alternate between the two fluid types, you create a subconscious rhythm that lets you keep track of your supplies much more easily.

Edit: The same applies to why I carry all three volumes instead of only 500 ml or 1000 ml. One, I can send off people with a BP of 105/78 with a single 250 ml bag, but two, I have more entries to directly remind me of my supplies -- all without ever checking my backpack.

1 hour ago, SkullCollector said:

For me it started as a flavour element, just like how I carried atropine even though it's completely redundant. However, once I switched from a mix of IVs to only saline, I noticed something peculiar: I repeatedly lost track of the amount of IVs I had on me.

What carrying both kinds does is it halves the effort you spend on attention towards counting your bags. I don't look at my inventory at all, or very rarely, because I know I only have so many things on me.

If you started out with 6x 500 ml bags, at any given point you may have between 1 and 6 only judging from the medical menu. Carrying 2x3 tells you at a glance that you'll always have at least 2 as long as you have both entries in the menu. If you then intentionally alternate between the two fluid types, you create a subconscious rhythm that lets you keep track of your supplies much more easily.

Edit: The same applies to why I carry all three volumes instead of only 500 ml or 1000 ml. One, I can send off people with a BP of 105/78 with a single 250 ml bag, but two, I have more entries to directly remind me of my supplies -- all without ever checking my backpack.

I see. Yeah, I stopped carrying Atropine for the same reason. Don't even get me started on the actual medical realism of the medications/medical system compared to real life.. Carrying two types of volume adds to much clutter to my backpack. But I guess that is a taste thing.

The only volume I've ever run out of was 1000ml, but after that occasion I started carrying like 3 or 4 of those.

You beat me to writing a guide <_<;). Was playing with the thought of doing so after seeing quite a lot of players wanting to try medic but not knowing how to effectively do so. Medic is definitely my second favourite role after vortex :P

Great guide! I've been so busy with life and when I actually have time to play I've been putting it into learning mission making. This is kinda stuff really makes it easier for (us) new guys and encourages to jump in unfamiliar roles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I've come to update the guide. It's nothing like before. Some might argue it's better. I'll argue it consumed about a week of my life scouring the ACE medical PBOs for juicy facts.

Please do enjoy.

It still needs some good graphics to outline a typical emergency treatment procedure, but for now, please refer to Stan's flowcharts here: 

Very nice updated guide, certainly took the time to make it look nice.

I like the correct wording and attention to detail.

About the most I bothered with in terms of graphics last time I updated was make a triage card.

Spoiler

48D5E032BE61EBBC782B5FED7766E692AF6FA695

If you wanted to borrow that, go ahead, but some might not agree with it on EU3. I "inherited" that from a real world combat medical emergency triage.

• Xwatt pinned this topic