SO I am finally on 3 weeks of vacation and have proper time to deal with and implement any change and\or alterations.

So I would like to ask you, the community, on what needs to change to make EU#3 great again. But remember that EU#3 is and always was about serious fun, as in : Teamplay is one of the core values and adhere to the rules.If the SL\TL doesnt want to hear about banter\who you failed to shag last night etc. and want the squad to focus on the game you'd unfuck your clusterfuck and focus on the objective at hand.

That may sound harsh but thats the only way I can word it right now. That being said i want your input on how to make EU#3 great again which was mentioned in one of X threads when I finally had time to catch-up with the forums after driving 2028KM's in 3 days.

Begin

Do realise that if you start any attacks\slander\namecalling on any person staff or non-staff expect a ban on everything as this is meant to be a civilized discussion. This is not a mod-request thread its a thread to better the state of EU#3

As someone who hasn't been here long I can't comment on past greatness, but I can say that I enjoy the server, there's nothing I majorly disagree with (otherwise I simply wouldn't be here).

The biggest issue I've seen is the idea that 'this isn't a practice server'. Very true in and of itself; anyone trying something out should know at least the basics of that role, but it creates a very daunting atmosphere when it comes to giving a job a try in play. As an example, I'd like to give MAT a go at some point, but feel that there are a lot of expectations placed on someone in any slot to do a bloody good job at it, which very much puts me off. I've flown with HitTheMan a few times and learned a lot (when a copilot slot is 'unlocked'), but even so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the reigns in live play.

Partial repost from another thread as my contribution:

Thinking back over the last few days over the 'toxic' community comments, I can see a few occurrences where I could have done something different, or tried to help out more. Yesterday, Vortex was not performing anywhere near as well as it has with more experienced crews; there was a lot of complaining, but not a lot of consideration for the other side. It's not the experienced person's responsibility to train and mentor others who are less experienced; as I said above, I play to enjoy the game, and it would be hypocritical of me to expect others to do otherwise, but where someone is willing to learn, and someone willing to teach (as I often am when I have some valuable knowledge), I think this should be encouraged as much as possible.

What would the management team think of a number of Mentor/Student slots on the server? Unconstrained by manning rules and loadout limitations, not counting towards any squad strength, which can be used to go along with pilots, leaders etc to allow, where someone is willing, an experienced person to shadow a newer player and guide them, or vice versa. These slots are clearly open to abuse, but I don't believe it would be hard to identify abuse and apply disciplinary process appropriately.

Additional to the above, if Ahoy has a dedi box (I don't know how you're set up on the back end), perhaps a much smaller server for mentored practice would be a good thing? The same mod loadout, but no missions and some (very) easy AI for target practice.

I recognise that training sessions exist, but this is a more personal 1:1 solution.

If some people lost the stigma they had towards vanilla gear that'd be nice, I prefer the 6.5mm stuff compared to the regurgitated AR15 looking things so the fact I can't take them despite the role weapon list has them down is a tad annoying.

As for improving toxicity, couldn't say, I don't normally get hurt or annoyed if someone calls me whatever, sticks and stones and all that. People willing to take some responsibility more often would be good, allow the people who normally have to take ASL or PLT Co to play something else if they wanted too.

Hi. One of the issues is that more ppl need to step up, be tall and dark and lead the rest. The more time we use at base dicking around after we have finished the dress up game at the arsenal, the more room is there for toxicity to grow. If we stay focused at the task ahead, we don't use our boredom+energy creating the environment that has snuck in of late. For the record, I have been quite bitter of late regarding eu3 and the fun it gives me. I choose to lead again last night(see other posts) with 30 ppl beneath me, and it went like a dream, it was funny and I got a drift of the "good old days". SO things aren't that bad ppl, we just need some more good examples and role models in game more frequently (etc ryko, josh, pancake, bacon?! ;):) )

Sent from my iPhone using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

Agree. Yesterday it was at least 2 new at leading, a1 ftl and I think bravo SL was new. They did good, had fun and prob gonna step up and lead others into a fun and semi realistic game in the future

Sent from my iPhone using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

I think a lot of issues have become of the terms we use now aswell. A lot of issues arise from the term "dress up" and such things. Would be nice to see these terms and attitudes removed.

Just allow people to play the game, somewhat in there own time. 

Some people take time to get used to all the new gear and create a loadout or two. Allow them that time.

Remove all the stigma behind these terms, and lets get back to a year or two when these terms didn't exist. 

Valiant will also come soon, bringing new life to EU#3 with some fresh missions and new gameplay.

But we shall see in time what happens.

As Bacon said I'd also love to see weekly gamenights return. (Sucks as i'm normally working)

If I find the time i'll try hosting some too.

7 minutes ago, Vlk said:

I agree josh. I just caught myself using a negative loaded term. Thanks for pointing it out :) V

No worries, I wasn't having a go or that. Just think it could be something we improve on and remove, because it is just negative and we want more positive :)

If we are strictly talking about how to make eu3 more enjoyable i shall present my own subjective opinion. 

gauntlet in itself is kinda annoying. the missions feel like sidemissions on i&a. witch i guess would fit more to special forces type of gameplay but right now i would say that the faction that we play as is more like normal infantry. the  missions feel odd and very non-immersive witch is something that all people care atleast on some level. they are not binded together and anyone with half a brain will realize that there is not a single military in this world that would operate this way. go into an area without worry about the surroudings (you can just drive away from occasional ambient ei) and then move away and never come back into that area again.  a way  to improve the immersion and to make ao's fit the teamplay stuff that we do in this server would be to make missions(whatever they then would be, thb just normal I&A would be better)string together and spawn nearby eachother. also it doesnt really make sense to have huge bases from where we operate on maps like altis or chernarus. bases should be smaller and more ''Fob like''. also something i noticed that the playerbase is not skilled enough or they dont communicate well enought for ace advanced medical. whenever someone gets hit, the movement slows down and most people do not know or bother to take the time to literally study how the ace advanced medical works. imo it is not necessary to have immersive experience, and it doesnt fit for this public playerbase for communication and individual knowledge of the system is not very great except on some individuals. i guess some of this could've gone on the gauntlet feedback but oh well..

Lack of knowledge of the systems is why we're trying to do training sessions. I honestly wish the majority of our playerbase would research and practice some of these systems and weapons on their own, and that also ties into why I haven't been making training happen earlier.

I remember a time when I could expect that people coming on #3 had taken a little time to familiarize themselves with the AT in use, and having read a little about how ACE and ACRE works. This is no longer my experience, and hasn't been for a long time. There's an initial investment on the part of players that isn't happening anymore.

As for giving people time to get their gear, ok, but I will still maintain that there is a time and place. I don't expect everyone to be like me, able to grab their kit in 3 seconds flat, but it shouldn't take you 5 minutes either. That said, this is not as much of an issue as it used to be, and I generally only see it with people who are late to the party, but still want their favorite helmet/uniform/vest. Sometimes I offer to load a kit and drop it for them, and on rare occasions, the offer is accepted.

Really, I don't personally care what "the community" wants. "The community" will want different things each month. I care what the people creating and maintaining #3 want. I didn't like everything Ryko did, and I didn't like everything that was done before his work. I've stuck around because, despite things not being as I would want them, they were similar enough that I could roll with the flow.

A long time ago, at the last EU#3-specific community meeting, I posed a question, wherein I essentially stated the above, but I never really got an answer. Without wanting to place blame, I believe that plays a part in why we're in this position now. We've essentially been escalating to this situation for about a year, with groups of players having a different interpretation of what #3 is about.

It's previously been stated, I think it was by Josh and some others if I recall, that there was a point at which many of the "senior" players left. After that, we've had a large influx of new players, some of whom simply haven't had the chance to be "groomed" because there were insufficient "groomers" around at the time. This has been a growing problem, which, I believe, has lead to our current situation.

Without guidance from above, this rift will not heal. We have groups in the playerbase that are hard-pressed to coexist, because their enjoyment of ArmA involves largely mutually-exclusive playstyles and levels of investment.

I'm personally very sad to see Ryko get pushed to a point of stopping Gauntlet development. Needless to say, I don't know what's gone down behind the scenes, what his mandate was, whether he overstepped it or not, but; to my knowledge everyone was very, very happy right up until the point where two changes were made, one of which I personally loved to bits.

I find it entirely unbelievable that this, after days of implementation, could cause so large a shitstorm. I don't believe these two changes were given a fair shot, and to be perfectly blunt, I don't believe much stock should be put in a poll. If people don't care enough to post a response, they might as well be voting on a knee-jerk reaction to change, necessary or not.

I'm sure I'll have more to say, but I'll leave it at this for now.

I'm with you Amentes on that, hoorah.

side note it wasn't just two. But I personally won't go into that. 

I have a be to agree with you. Maybe with weekly gamenights and things it will get back on track. New players will get more into the play style an understand how things work. 

I also feel bad for ryko and how he has been pushed out. I've spoke with him myself via pms to communicate this. So hopefully his time won't be done. 

-josh

I have no doubt the Apex will be reviving old time players (such as myself) back in to the world of ArmA. Whole new map to explore in jungle / archipelago environment, along with improvements to make naval assaults a valid option. Boost in returning veterans could potentially improve overall experience for everyone.

40 minutes ago, JuX said:

I have no doubt the Apex will be reviving old time players (such as myself) back in to the world of ArmA. Whole new map to explore in jungle / archipelago environment, along with improvements to make naval assaults a valid option. Boost in returning veterans could potentially improve overall experience for everyone.

How will this work out? I've been wondering about that since the first information about apex. Sure we cant run a dlc map on a public server, let alone eu3 where populations are already low in general. That would just cut the population into unplayably low numbers. If anyone ever even bothers to make gautlet or valiant tanoa a thing for those reasons.

1 hour ago, lamminrevityin said:

How will this work out? I've been wondering about that since the first information about apex. Sure we cant run a dlc map on a public server, let alone eu3 where populations are already low in general. That would just cut the population into unplayably low numbers. If anyone ever even bothers to make gautlet or valiant tanoa a thing for those reasons.

It all comes down to the moderator team and so forth.

Potentially one server could be converted to Tanoa. If general population is low on EU3 as you put it, then what is the harm in Tanoa? If anything new change in the enviroment can invigorate the server population. Perhaps setup a poll to inquiry how many community members purchased the Apex DLC or planning to. So can see if modded server is even valid choice for such conversion.

As for public servers, well. If there is still two running then one of them could be converted to vanilla apex.

Running a public vanilla apex server isn't a problem in terms of population either.

Weekly or longer map changes could also be implemented.

(Simply playing Tanoa on gamenights can be frustrating cause you might not even be able to attend)

4 minutes ago, JuX said:

It all comes down to the moderator team and so forth.

Potentially one server could be converted to Tanoa. If general population is low on EU3 as you put it, then what is the harm in Tanoa?

If anything new change in the enviroment can invigorate the server population. Perhaps setup a poll to inquiry how many community

members purchased the Apex DLC or planning to. So can see if modded server is even valid choice for such conversion.

As for public servers, well. If there is still two running then one of them could be converted to vanilla apex.

Running a public vanilla apex server isn't a problem in terms of population either.

Weekly or longer map changes could also be implemented.

(Simply playing Tanoa on gamenights can be frustrating cause you might not even be able to attend)

well what it really comes down to is the amount of players who purchased apex. thanks to the system of handling dlc that bis has, we can use apex assets such as weapons and vechiles but it is obious that not 100% of the people will purchase apex. i'll be suprised if even 50% will. 

24 minutes ago, lamminrevityin said:

well what it really comes down to is the amount of players who purchased apex. thanks to the system of handling dlc that bis has, we can use apex assets such as weapons and vechiles but it is obious that not 100% of the people will purchase apex. i'll be suprised if even 50% will. 

This is nothing compared to Battlefield 3, 4 and probably 1. (alienation to the max).

Why do you doubt even less then 50% will purchase apex? At the moment i have 18 steam friends that have purchased apex.

34 friends that purchased the previous DLC bundle. I think you are under estimating the potential popularity of the Tanoa.

Even if only 50% here would get it, on public side of things. There will be ton of other people playing apex content.

This is why i pointed out that moderator team can figure out the numbers and make decisions to bring out Tanoa available.

Id personally find it silly to just completely ignore Tanoa. All it would do is make everyone go play on other communities servers.

2 minutes ago, JuX said:

This is nothing compared to Battlefield 3, 4 and probably 1. (alienation to the max).

Why do you doubt even less then 50% will purchase apex? At the moment i have 18 steam friends that have purchased apex.

34 friends that purchased the previous DLC bundle. I think you are under estimating the potential popularity of the Tanoa.

Even if only 50% here would get it, on public side of things. There will be ton of other people playing apex content.

This is why i pointed out that moderator team can figure out the numbers and make decisions to bring out Tanoa available.

Id personally find it silly to just completely ignore Tanoa. All it would do is make everyone go play on other communities servers.

im just simply worried that just ingoring tanoa would be the only option if purchase numbers are low.