AWE Status

16 hours ago, J0hnson said:

@Karate Pyjamas I don't miss your gamenights or your Zuesing.

get_imagesdds.php.jpeg

Remember that? Yeah that was a great gamenight for us lads. Loved getting executed on Al Jazeera too, cherry on the top. @Minipily

Nah was a fantastic gamenight, though it could've used more radio chatter like Icy's gamenight.

Being on:

-Tank Commander Communications

-Armoured Platoon Communications

-Squad to "defend the tank" Communications

-Platoon Command Communications

Was the best part for me, my head didn't throb at all.

But yeah I can see where you're coming from, there are particular Zues folk that I don't miss.

I'll make it simple: Clear and Concise Zuesing with a smart and logically realistic direction and motive with always triumph over "here, I'm just gunna spam shit for you to click on and kill because it's fun".

I play for the Immersion and rewarding feeling of completing an objective that benefits the long run of the mission whilst retaining a gameplay motive that best fits ArmA's style. I don't play to run around and rack up my K/D ratio and sadly I found that was what certain Zueses though AWE/EU3 was all about. Not naming names.

18 hours ago, J0hnson said:

At some point, an overall and collected argument for and against changing (or restarting) AWE should be gathered and made.

These threads are notorious for losing information due to the pure scale of points, not to say that making these points is any problem at all, certainly encouraged.

+1

Need to get our heads out our asses and actually move this community forward in a clear direction rather than be scared to trying in the first place. This thread will soon become just another forgotten page in this communities history, an actual meeting will hold it's time better however and possible move it forward.

38 minutes ago, Xwatt said:

a bit aggresive don't you think @J0hnson?

If you really wanted to keep AWE alive, you should be reforming old bonds with former players of the community instead of telling them that you don't miss them. It's that same pessimistic value that drove most of the players away in the first place. And when they come back and turn to this thread to see you treating them in this manner, i'm not surprised that they wouldn't want to return back to AWE.

Set an example. Don't be the example of what people don't want in the community. 

Perhaps slightly aggressive, but I'd see it more as an open opinion expressing a clear point.

Zues is not a priority for AWE at the moment.

And we sure as shit don't need to focus hard on getting certain old players back, one must focus on getting new players in. To be brutally honest, there are certain people from the past that I wouldn't want back, because it may impede progress. That however is just my opinion and you can probably gloss over that.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, Lindi said:

I would like to say, that the player base at the moment is small and plays quite irregularly. The solution is trying to recruit more players for a bigger players base. I maintain that almost all of the tries I've made usually stop with "I aint downloading another 30gigs" or something to that effect. 

So yes I understand that we all have our favorite piece of kit and vehicles and what not, but streamlining would be one of the most effective ways to spark interest and get more players on the server. All the mods in the world will not make a difference if the server is empty.

All the more reason for a fresh restart.

I can't FUCKING EXPRESS IT HARD ENOUGH how, "let's remove this mod and add this one instead, it's 50mb smaller" actually increases the mod pack size for most players in the long run. As one must download even more tripe.

Restarting and heavily streamlining the pack while utilizes something from the 21st century called "Steam Workshop" will heavily improve both organisation and download speeds for the vast majority of players. It also makes the mod pack much more accessible to the public. I can see why ArmA 3 Sync has and is still used, however I fail to see the reason to keep it after a hard restart.

Been saying it since 2015, players don't come for the mods, they come for the gameplay.

AhoyWorld Enhanced utilizes a mission not easily found in the ArmA 3 Community, no reason why it cannot be popular.

13 minutes ago, Minipily said:

utilizes something from the 21st century called "Steam Workshop" will heavily improve both organisation and download speeds for the vast majority of players.

I'm absolutely sure that every single person will be smart enough to manually make a copy of the AWE mods so that when the workshop version updates and the server doesn't for another 2 weeks they'll still be able to play. /s

Arma3Sync might not be the fastest tool but it works.  There are plenty of guides on this forum for any player to know exactly how to set it up.  They might not be in the AWE section, there are also guides on other parts of the forum though.  But this forum isn't big so anyone should be able to find them.  If you really really want fast download speed just download the mods from the steam workshop and rename them.  If people don't know how to do this I'll happily write a guide on how to do that.  And I'll record myself doing it so everyone can see it does work.

21 minutes ago, Minipily said:

utilizes something from the 21st century called "Steam Workshop"

We can't go this way, as the server doesn't automatically update its mods when the mod on the workshop is updated.  Thus, the players update their mods automatically and then can't connect to the server.

2 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

I'm absolutely sure that every single person will be smart enough to manually make a copy of the AWE mods so that when the workshop version updates and the server doesn't for another 2 weeks they'll still be able to play. /s

Arma3Sync might not be the fastest tool but it works.  There are plenty of guides on this forum for any player to know exactly how to set it up.  They might not be in the AWE section, there are also guides on other parts of the forum though.  But this forum isn't big so anyone should be able to find them.  If you really really want fast download speed just download the mods from the steam workshop and rename them.  If people don't know how to do this I'll happily write a guide on how to do that.  And I'll record myself doing it so everyone can see it does work.

True, ArmA 3 Sync works. Steam Workshop just works better and with that, there's not really a reason to keep ArmA 3 Sync.

What I'm saying Stanhope is simple. It's not MY problem and hell, others would probably be fine with your suggestion. However factually speaking, it makes more sense to use a tool that performs better in organisation, speed and functionality.

Just now, Ryko said:

We can't go this way, as the server doesn't automatically update its mods when the mod on the workshop is updated.  Thus, the players update their mods automatically and then can't connect to the server.

Understandable.

I have seen other communities do it well by just keeping on top of updating the mission regularly when required for larger updates, smaller ones wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Could possibly just try keeping the server up to date and utilize a simpler organisation of mods so that a random one isn't updated every day.

Either way, just a suggestion but certainly not a huge one. I can understand the reasons of using ArmA 3 Sync with our current situation as I stated.

People grow up (not all of us apparently) and naturally play less. Awe had it’s “golden days” as some might call it. Recruitment has been slower than players leaving, either quitting playing or moving to other communities (bso drama, bacon drama etc). Ahoy have tried to increase recruitment it different ways, I know cuz I was in charge once. It’s not easy. Anyhow, there is a lot of engagement in this thread, more than the past 6 months on entire awe forum. That’s a start. Best regards, vlk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And why is the size of repo a issue, whether it’s 50 gb or 20? I got an old pc(5 years) but I still got a lot of disk space and a 10mbit inet. Press a button and download, drink cola, get fat or play a offline game while downloading. I don’t see the issue.

Anyhow. As mentioned by lost bullet, this is a thread that comes up once every year or so. Looking forward to se the result and if we can meet on awe again. New guys and old. (Even you two mini and jonson, if it gets overhand I’ll just mute on ts ;) )

18 minutes ago, Vlk said:

Anyhow. As mentioned by lost bullet, this is a thread that comes up once every year or so. Looking forward to se the result and if we can meet on awe again. New guys and old. (Even you two mini and jonson, if it gets overhand I’ll just mute on ts ;) )

Not if we beat you to it :). Then again, doesn't really help gameplay to mute others on a communication based server, but I guess we'll stick to being the usual suspects. Everyone needs someone to blame.

Not if we beat you to it [emoji4]. Then again, doesn't really help gameplay to mute others on a communication based server, but I guess we'll stick to being the usual suspects. Everyone needs someone to blame.

Even though you had your rebellions over the years in aw, you always been a constant to rely on, one way or another and I’m happy that you stuck around even though you are easily blamed, accurate or not. I would love to see a more regular player base so it’s easier to jump in the game for those of us with work and children. I root for awe. I believe ryko is the key and needs the current active members in this thread to twist the lock.

5 hours ago, Ryko said:

I'm all for removing all the mods and starting fresh running just TFAR, ACE and RHS for example. Keeping mods to a minimum also makes the issue of auto-mod updates less of a hassle, right? So many small mods are on the server now, so many purely aesthetics, but also the sheer amount of vehicles of which so many aren't used.

They were relevant with the larger player base when people screamed to have them added. But a fresh start and a clear direction can keep the downloads to a minimum and makes Steamworkshop downloads a much more reasonable solution. I don't see why some are so keen on not removing mods now they've become obsolete with the current player base. I'd say, grab this opportunity for a fresh restart while it lasts.

5 hours ago, Minipily said:

random one isn't updated every day

I am personally confused at this, as ever since i have been in charge of the modset updating i have stuck to a schedule of updating the mods once a month in bulk, there have only been a few times where i have had to do a hotfix for an issue outside of this time frame so I dont see where you are getting this keep the server up to date and random mods being updated every day. 

Also I unfortunately dont sit at my pc waiting for a mod to download on steam to check if it is compatible and stable so i can put it on the server instantly. So once a month mod updates will have to be good enough i suppose. 

5 minutes ago, GhostDragon said:

Also I unfortunately dont sit at my pc waiting for a mod to download on steam to check if it is compatible and stable so i can put it on the server instantly. So once a month mod updates will have to be good enough i suppose. 

Speculation, but the larger mods like ACE, TFAR and RHS have a massive community following. If they release via Steam, which so many people use, they'll get called out for delivering a broken update in an instant. Right? Limiting the size of the pack, and getting rid of the smaller not-so-necessary-mods-without-a-large-community-following reduces the broken mod risk quite a lot, not? I say speculation because we all know ArmA, and experiences may differ over servers.

Speculation, but the larger mods like ACE, TFAR and RHS have a massive community following. If they release via Steam, which so many people use, they'll get called out for delivering a broken update in an instant. Right? Limiting the size of the pack, and getting rid of the smaller not-so-necessary-mods-without-a-large-community-following reduces the broken mod risk quite a lot, not? I say speculation because we all know ArmA, and experiences may differ over servers.
Even then, those mods often change class names in updates that can break things, or CBA updates and they all have to patch it's just safer doing it this way

So if it wasn't clear to some people my comment about Karate's GN was a joke. Personally I thought I made it clear with the real life photo of a M1 Abrams and the bit about Al Jazeera, but take it as you will.

Obviously I have nothing personal against Karate or anyone in the community at all and I cleared that up with him.

This isn't an apology, but I hope no one else other than @Karate Pyjamas and @Xwatt took my comment the wrong way.

always encourage for people to take any personal problems that they have with me on TS; "man to man" so to speak. I've grown far too tired of people keeping themselves in the dark about any issues they have against me and it's only taken us backward in the community, so please, don't keep it to yourself and build up hate for no reason.

Anyway, me and @Minipily's crew had fun on that GN, he even has footage recorded from it. This is exactly why I thought it would be appropriate to joke about. Actual apologies for straying the topic off course.

P.S @Xwatt Thanks for the advice but rest assured I'm confident that, after three years, I have the antidote for AWE. Next time I'll keep sarcasm and satire off text and save it for TS only, my bad. @MoonFire

I've pretty much voiced my opinion about what would make it easier to get new players on AWE to increase the influx of new players.

Continuing on the lines of game play before toys, the absolutely most enjoyable times for me on AWE has always been KPJs game nights. Always drew a good crowd, game play was always a little more organised and they were imho well executed. I do want to say AWE lost a lot when we lost those game nights.

I'll also looking forward to I&A4 with ACE/TFAR. Could be just the thing, atleast worth a shot methinks.

Mostly as in I enjoyed the special events where we had custom missions, mostly made by KPJ (altho I'm sure others did them too) now that you mention it. :)

I was in awe at the time how KPJ found the energy and motivation to make those missions for so long. I know it isn't easy doing that many times in a row. You tend to run out of ideas in my experience. I also realize that the amount of effort put into a custom game night on AWE is quite a bit more than say the occasional Zeus mission I do on the public server.

Well, it kinda all boils down to that gameplay is the feature and not the toys. But even though Stilleto is an amazing mission I think the bigger part is that doing the same missions in different locations just kinda gets boring after a while. Designing a mission isn't all that hard with a working base file. E.g. all the mods and server related stuff and base stuff is in place. Then you can drag it around and place the enemies where you want the mission to be. Hey presto.

That said, numbers were already declining greatly back when I did those missions. It has always been the organised events that drew in the crowd though, no matter who did them.

Bring back the GN! I miss them and maybe they can help get people back in. As for modpack, well... I am the kind fo person that mods everything moddable, but I see how it can be a problem for some people. I like mods on AWE and I would rather play modded (equipment, etc.) than enhanced vanilla. With that said, nn my opinion we should:
- Keep TFAR, ACE, RHS and 3CB - as core mods

- Keep firewill

- keep minor stuff like STUI

- GET RID OF CUP - seriously, it's large, low quality (compared to standard set by rhs and 3cb) and half of it are duplicates of rhs, of which we will always use rhs ones because they are better quality.