AWE Status

Hi,

I may not be the oldest member of the AhoyWorld community, but i think it is important that i state my opinion.

The number of players in the EU3 server has been declining for a while and everytime it is discussed, i see that one of the major hiccup is the gear/faction system. We currently have a faction system that is supposed to have an influence on the server, but it does not. Right now, if we have the British faction, anyone can pick up US gear and even vehicules. Everytime i share my opinion, the majority of people agree that gear should be restricted with your faction.

Stiletto is an awesome game mode and it has a lot of potential. It is sad that it has become a 50 gig wardrobe that nobody plays anymore. Don't get me wrong, i don't pretend to know that my view is the only one that is good, but i think that it would be a mistake to ignore the majority of players that keep this server alive to add more mods for the sake of it.

If we do not try, i fear that AWE is going to die out. The server is basically empty everyday, and many who come on it wish for this change to happen.

I would like to create a honest discussion without bashing on this subject.

38 minutes ago, Joebillibob said:

We currently have a faction system that is supposed to have an influence on the server, but it does not

It used to, and then people complained that they didn't have access to x weapon or y vehicle, so we relaxed the restriction. 

AWE goes through phases and now it's going through a down phase. People can blame it on whatever reason they want, but part of it has to be that arma is long in the tooth as far as games go. 

I've said it time and again that if we could decide on a common day that everyone agreed to play on, it'd probably be a lot more popular. Right now it's happenstance if there are a good number of players on to attract the requisite number for a really fun mission. 

I do have to say I agree with Joe here. The amount of stuff in the arsenal is daunting to say the least, also to the point of a casual player like me realising he is never going to use all the gear. So it gets daunting, confusing and excessive.

Arma is an old game, but it still has a fan base and we do see quite an influx of new guys every time Arma is on sale, so the game is far from dead as we all know. I do how ever doubt that many of the new guys are willing to download a mod pack that is equal or larger in size to the game itself. I've gotten this feed back trying to advertise AWE from time to time.

Isn't the case of "item X missing, I want it!" a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few? Having more players play surely has to be more fun than having a lot of stuff to play around with alone?

Can I also point out that in the past there has been people including myself who have asked for a stricter arsenal?  Here among others:

With the addition of CUP does SMA still add anything of value?  I believe all of the weapons that are in SMA are either in CUP or in RHS.  So it might be a start to get rid of SMA?  I don't exactly know how many gigs that is but it can only help reduce the size of the modpack right?

And I'm not saying this because I don't use any of the SMA stuff.  All of my loadouts have at least 1 item of SMA in it.

5 minutes ago, oO_ScarFace_Oo said:

Move the mod pack to steam workshop, I don’t care about the mod pack size I care about having a duplicate of said mod because we rename it to with AW_    

That was done because people used the steam workshop version that auto-updated and the server doesn't auto update its mods.

Unfortunately we can not move to the steam workshop for the live server because the mods as stan has said they update automatically (no feasable as the server would break too easily and i need to test the modpack before it goes live) Also we have a few mods that are made in house and are not on steam workshop. 

I have to say im open to the idea of ditching CUP, as I personally dont think it adds enough to warrant the size of the mod. 

20 minutes ago, GhostDragon said:

I have to say im open to the idea of ditching CUP

How much weapons are actually in the arsenal because the only one which i have use is the FAL and that was only a couple of times, defiantly think that CUP weapons just in't worth it.

Even though everyone knows my opinion anyways: Less is more

+ very faction specific Arsenal (i.e. if you are USArmy you can only use UCP & OCP gear, etc.) but if too many people were complaining that they could no longer use their favourite weapon than the restrictions could only be applied to Vest, Helmets, Uniforms.

+ focus on RHS as Core mod as it provides a ton of stuff in decent quality

+ TF Radio as we already have it and people got used to it but I also wouldn´t complain if we`d go back to ACRE

+ STUI as it is better than the vanilla-group-UI

+ ACE as otherwise we could just play vanilla-Arma

- SMA as it offers not all that much more than RHS

- CUP as I dont want to play Arma 2 and it also offers a lot of RHS duplicates

- LMount as it was a nice idea but is horribly annoying if you cant just change your scope in the arsenal because that mod forces you into an annimation...Also I dont feel like that many people were abusing the instant-sight-swapping-possibility

- MGP as RHS really stepped up their game when in comes to vests wich means that we don´t need another ton of vests and it other than that just offers a bunch of uniforms wich goes against the idea of a "faction specific Arsenal" anyways

- Special Saus because no one needs these beards

~ maps as for me the vanilla maps are good enough and I dont really need other ones.

~ FIR because I am never flying on AWE so I can´t tell you wether we need it or not

~ 3CB is genereally a nice mod and fits with the idea of a "faction specific Arsenal" but I would not really miss it if it was gone

(+ = keep, - = ditch, ~ = idk)

4 minutes ago, MoonFire said:

How much weapons are actually in the arsenal because the only one which i have use is the FAL and that was only a couple of times, defiantly think that CUP weapons just in't worth it.

The issue with CUP is they are all tied together and the reason we added CUP was mainly for the Stryker and lav25 as they are the only modpack that offers it in any working way that is still supported, (you need units and weapons for vehicles) So that is the main things we would lose if we ditched cup.

3 minutes ago, Noah_Hero said:

- LMount as it was a nice idea but is horribly annoying if you cant just change your scope in the arsenal because that mod forces you into an annimation...Also I dont feel like that many people were abusing the instant-sight-swapping-possibility

L_Mount's development has been discontinued so no fix is coming from there.  I think we can do 2 things.  1 switch to: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378046829It's basically L_Mount reworked. Or 2: I can message the original author and ask if I can alter his mod to fix the bugs and repack it and use it in our repo.

AWE is a place for mods, there is no denying it. But the thing is, i think we reached a level where there is too much mods and too much options that there is less cohesion. 

I would like to play with everyone wearing UCP, during an OP, but right now i would have to force people to do it as ASL. I would pass as the bad guy, and it should be to the server to do it, not me.

A lot of core player would like to see theses changes, why not try it? If i am wrong, revert back. We would at least tried to change things. Never taking risks is not always the right solution and listening to the community as always been a good way towards progress. 

There will always be 1 guy that will want to have access to any stuff and every weapon in the game, but when a community become big things like this are bound to happen.

I am not blaming Ryko or anyone in the staff when i say this, because i know that they are the reason we have this excellent server. I say this exactly because i want it to thrive.

1 hour ago, Joebillibob said:

AWE is a place for mods, there is no denying it.

Sure but still it would be enough to just go for ACE and TFAR as these are the mods that create the immersion. The rest is just cherry-on-the-top-cosmetics. As I said it doesn´t have to be heavily modded to create good gameplay and if people really can´t live without more IRL-assets then just add a bit of RHSAFRF and RHSUSAF.

@Noah_Hero not the reason why i play modded, i play modded because i want the IRL assets and as well i'm so board of the vanilla you play for a bit you have used all of the assets which vanilla has to offer, which in my opinion gets boring very quickly.  That is why all i want changing is the rid of CUP and bringing back TF 47.