AWE Status

Well, staff can't just turn on a dime on the mood of the players.  We implemented CUP after extensive polling and discussion because the player base (at the time) supported the idea of it.  If we had removed RHS and went to CUP I could believe that players stopped playing because they didn't like the change in mods.  But we just added content, so I have a hard time pinning the decrease in player base to the addition of new content.

In my opinion now, we could use the custom squad layouts which are already in but we bearly used for each faction. But wouldn't this can get a bit boring to the point where you would only want to play one faction because they in there opinion will have better gear or gear that that individual will want to use compared to other factions.

Or instead of making gear faction specific which I can imagine would take more time to sort out in the back end just make it where you only use faction specific squad layouts which will make it more interesting and less hassle in the back end and scrap the stiletto standard and safe it for special occasions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Tbh we didn't add CUP for the weapons, we added it primarily for the vehicles. But since the CUP licence specifies that you can't cull out the content you want to use, you have to use the entire mod. And since CUP vehicles requires CUP weapons and CUP units, we had to use the whole shebang.

Using CUP weapons and CUP units did allow us to remove about six other mods from the existing pack and streamline alot of content.  I'll admit if there was a way to legally just extract the 15 vehicles we had our eyes on and use that, I'd do it, be we can't, so we went all in on CUP, based on polling results from the user base at the time that the size of the repo wasn't a factor for them.

If you don't like the CUP assets that are available, don't use them.

I would like to say, that the player base at the moment is small and plays quite irregularly. The solution is trying to recruit more players for a bigger players base. I maintain that almost all of the tries I've made usually stop with "I aint downloading another 30gigs" or something to that effect. 

So yes I understand that we all have our favorite piece of kit and vehicles and what not, but streamlining would be one of the most effective ways to spark interest and get more players on the server. All the mods in the world will not make a difference if the server is empty.

From everything we've learned, players who are interested in this kind of thing fall into two camps: the ones who don't care about how big the repo is (camp A), and the ones that do (camp B).  The polarization is extreme.  If it's more than a gig, that'll turn off most of the people in camp B: they won't download RHS, much less the other 26 gigs of mods.  So they weren't going to play anyway.

We did a lot of polling and discussion on this.  The amount of people who though the repo going from 26 GB to 30 GB was too much was about 4% of respondents.  Removing CUP is not going to change anything on that front.

What we are bandying around is the idea of making a modded version of I&A4 which has STUI, TFAR and ACE, which I think would be much more palatable.

5 minutes ago, oO_ScarFace_Oo said:

We already had that. It was called eu4 nobody played it

How many years ago was that?  It must be more than 2 as I don't recall it being there when I joined in May 2016.  So I doubt that's very relevant at this moment in time.

So ryko is the server layout then going to look something like this?

EU1 - very casual no mandatory teamplay

EU2 - mandatory teamplay

EU3 - modded

EU6 - milsim

3 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

So ryko is the server layout then going to look something like this?

I honestly have no idea yet.

As for the historical EU4 and the potential for IA4 and mods, I should add that there is discussion that this would replace the current implementation of AWE.  I agree that people probably wouldn't play an enhanced version if IA4 if it existed alongside the current AWE.

I have honestly book loads of comments after years of EU#3, but the summary is in agreement with @Noah_Hero; less is more - focus on gameplay not mods.

As @Stanhope has pointed out, the question remains of what AWE's primary focus is, teamplay or mods. Personally, I will ALWAYS vote teamplay.

I've raised the question before "Would AWE still be AWE if we only ran with ACE and TFAR?", to which many responded no, however my answer is contrary.

I would love a fresh start with less focus on keeping people interested through mods and instead do this through gameplay, teamplay and general server discipline.

I encourage you to suggest what would create a better situation that current.
But what is wrong with the current mission just people doesn't like the fact they have to download before playing, but I have never seen this issue with any other community.

It's just how this community does its modded server is very unique compared how other committees does it which is remarkable because I cannot find one which is similar to this, which in my opinion why we have this diversity issue. Just saying

@J0hnson I don't disagree with your premise.  And indeed I'm sure that's how EU3 evolved.  But like anything, it wasn't like someone set off saying "let's start a server with 26GB of mods", rather, it evolved over time as people suggested more and more mods be added to the repo.  It's like the frog being slowly boiled.