I:A | UGV Stomper & UAV AGM for UAV Operator

JulianWilliams

Question

Self-explanatory.
If you don't want it in the server because it's super slow and will take a very long time to reach the AO, we can ask a Ghost Hawk or a Huron pilot to lift it all the way to AO.

Yes, all types of UGVs please. Recon and the armed one.

As for the UAV, we also have this GBU-12s. I think it'd be better if we change the pylons of the second UAV to Air-to-Ground Missiles (AGM).

Whilst I have no clue why they removed the UGV's (#MakeUAVSlotgreatagain), I can see why an UAV with AGM missiles is never coming on the server. The UAV operator is a support slot, which means you have to be called in before you can bomb target X and this often work because the ground troops find and laser the target whilst the UAV operator drops a bomb (or two) on the target. AGM Missiles circumvent the need for ground troops, since the UAV operator can just pick a target, lock it, fire a missile and repeat until the UAV has no ammo left or everything is destroyed.

TL:DR Would love to see UGV's again but UAV's with AGM's would basically be an airborne version of Scar and that would suck the fun of others dry quickly. This is just my opinion here.

Now, bearing in mind here I speak as a player of the public servers and not as an admin - I think the UGVs are a bundle of fun to use, but their utility ends just about there. The UAV operator tends to be operating multiple drones, and the UGV can't be left to it's own devices to loiter quite as easily as a greyhawk or sentinel. Once the UGV is under fire there's a good chance it's staying that way until all of the threats are cleared, which means it has to be controlled all the time where the aerial UAVs can swoop in, attack and get out of dodge.

This could lead to fire missions being missed, which will slow down the progress of the server.

As for AGMs, the essence of it is that they're just too convenient. I believe the standard layout for a UAV using AGMs is 3x3, so 6 missiles in total compared to two bombs. Couple that with the fact that they're incredibly easy and you've got a recipe for the UAV operator stomping the entire AO before anyone has a chance to get there.

FSG, and by extension the UAV operator slot, are included to enhance gameplay for the infantry. Not replace them.

Again, just my two cents as to why things are as they are.

Changing the loadout to less AGMs is no issue, but if I can choose between 2xGBU-12 and 2xMacer I'll just go with the GBUs because they are more versatile. Bombing things from 2000 m is incredibly easy and precise, I don't see a reason to do the strafing runs most UAV OPs do.

9 hours ago, JulianWilliams said:

Yes, all types of UGVs please. Recon and the armed one.

What recon UGV is there? The Stomper is basically to carry supplies for a support team and the Stomper RCWS is the armed variant.

If you've played the last mission of the Apex campaign you know that the RCWS is just the most OP weapons base when you leave the gunner seat to AI. It's basically just

1. Drive to a vantage point
  2. Watch as OPFOR gets obliterated
  3. Repeat

5 hours ago, ansin11 said:

If you've played the last mission of the Apex campaign you know that the RCWS is just the most OP weapons base when you leave the gunner seat to AI. It's basically just

1. Drive to a vantage point
  2. Watch as OPFOR gets obliterated
  3. Repeat

not only this we removed the UGV because it got used toi much for teamkilling either by a troll or by the AI

Also slinging the UGV is a Art that think has its own life and will alot of tim just Disconect or explode under a helo 

Maybe we could try the unarmed Stomber. See if its any good to bring out supplyes. Just for a test.

Is it possible to make an "Ground UAV operator" besides the normal one?
I would gladly test the thing for a day or two.

Shuenix.

26 minutes ago, shuenix said:

Maybe we could try the unarmed Stomber. See if its any good to bring out supplyes. Just for a test.

Is it possible to make an "Ground UAV operator" besides the normal one?
I would gladly test the thing for a day or two.

Shuenix.

But if you need supplies, just get a vehicle loaded up and drive/sling that to the required area, or even supply crates.

2 hours ago, GamerbugUK said:

But if you need supplies, just get a vehicle loaded up and drive/sling that to the required area, or even supply crates.

Yeah, but when its peak time, pilots are busy taxiing. Anyway, it could be interesting to give the unarmed Stomper a go.

1 hour ago, shuenix said:

Yeah, but when its peak time, pilots are busy taxiing. Anyway, it could be interesting to give the unarmed Stomper a go.

But they are taxiing to AOs, the same place the supplies are needed.

If they dont have time to sling load supplies/vehicles, then dont have time to sling load a stomper, making it have to go on the ground; if you are taking a stomper on the ground then you can take any vehicle on the ground.

Just seems like adding additional stuff for the sake of it.

10 minutes ago, GamerbugUK said:

But they are taxiing to AOs, the same place the supplies are needed.

If they dont have time to sling load supplies/vehicles, then dont have time to sling load a stomper, making it have to go on the ground; if you are taking a stomper on the ground then you can take any vehicle on the ground.

Just seems like adding additional stuff for the sake of it.

The idea is: The UAV operator load the stomper with "the usual" ammo. Its for all, not only one person. If he/she has 3 stompers, he/she should be able to have a stomper on station all the time.

A never ending chain of supply.

Maybe it doesnt work, but if we dont try, we will never find out. An unarmed stomper cant ruin the gameplay and should be easy to implement.

Now the gunner AI is OP, but I'm not so sure about the driver AI... As far as I remember it's trash. Trash as in it won't arrive anywhere near where you want it because it's gonna run into something. It'd probably also run players over if they happen to stand in its way.

8 minutes ago, shuenix said:

The idea is: The UAV operator load the stomper with "the usual" ammo. Its for all, not only one person. If he/she has 3 stompers, he/she should be able to have a stomper on station all the time.

A never ending chain of supply.

Maybe it doesnt work, but if we dont try, we will never find out. An unarmed stomper cant ruin the gameplay and should be easy to implement.

Except most UAV operators will not do that (sure you might), the second they see no armaments on that UGV they will simply ignore it, or all 3 of them.

Currently the UAV operators are a mixed bag of great surgical strike support to kamikaze strafing run liabilities; thier itch to get involved in combat will not typically lend itself to them being logistics suppliers.

Anyway the desicion is not mine, I just don't see the benefit on the public servers; more tactical or teamwork servers I would agree more. Will it impact the game, no you are right it probably wont. Is it work to implement, yes but I have no idea how much.

4 hours ago, ansin11 said:

Now the gunner AI is OP, but I'm not so sure about the driver AI... As far as I remember it's trash. Trash as in it won't arrive anywhere near where you want it because it's gonna run into something. It'd probably also run players over if they happen to stand in its way.

In singleplayer it works OK. Once in a while you have to help it.
I will try to make some long runs with them in singleplayer and see how it goes. I will report back here.

We have tried, it didn't go well.

Most of the time it was on the bottom of the ocean because it got dropped while slingloading.  The rest of the time it was killing friendlies at base.

On the very very rare occasion it did get used it broke within 10 minutes of it seeing the first enemy.

11 hours ago, Stanhope said:

We have tried, it didn't go well.

Most of the time it was on the bottom of the ocean because it got dropped while slingloading

It's called the Blackfish, it can transport it without causing a nuclear explosion :)

58 minutes ago, Amentes said:

So the UGV normally has a very short life expectancy, and now you wanna put the Operator in it? :P

Relying on the Blackfish to transport the UGV is a slippery slope at best. Most pilots, by far, simply aren't able to operate the aircraft safely.

Why transport them by air? They got wheels and can drive themselves. Odd how this discussion got derailed. 
The idea is that they are indepentent and they are autonomos. Click with the mouse and they drive there autonomosly.

I did some testing.
4 Stompers:
All 4 without any incidents at all. They behave very fine.

From Main Base to Pyrgos harbour 13 min. Remember it had to go through the narrow streets of Pyrgos.

From Main Base to Terminal 24 min

From Main Base to Cap Makrinos 43 min. Its all the way to the lighthouse south on the other side of the water.
From Main Base to Cap Strigla (North of Molos) 36 min.

The beauty is when they are on the road, you can do other stuff. They behave very fine.
With 4 unarmed stompers you can have any AO supplied with ammo.

Wouldn't it be fun, just to try? 

Gert/Shuenix

4 hours ago, shuenix said:

Why transport them by air? They got wheels and can drive themselves. Odd how this discussion got derailed. 
The idea is that they are indepentent and they are autonomos. Click with the mouse and they drive there autonomosly.

I did some testing.
4 Stompers:
All 4 without any incidents at all. They behave very fine.

From Main Base to Pyrgos harbour 13 min. Remember it had to go through the narrow streets of Pyrgos.

From Main Base to Terminal 24 min

From Main Base to Cap Makrinos 43 min. Its all the way to the lighthouse south on the other side of the water.
From Main Base to Cap Strigla (North of Molos) 36 min.

The beauty is when they are on the road, you can do other stuff. They behave very fine.
With 4 unarmed stompers you can have any AO supplied with ammo.

Wouldn't it be fun, just to try? 

Gert/Shuenix

Yes, correct!

On 22.8.2017 at 5:12 PM, Stanhope said:

In I&A 3.2.6 there will be 1x unarmed stomper at base.

in b4

• broken wheel
  • flipped
  • FF damaged
  • FF firing
  • spawn issues
  • continued beggings to slingload the thing

So,when the Stomper (unarmed) gets added i expect a edit in numbers for UAV tools total count,right?

(read = -1 Greyhawk)