AT Practice Range - Mission File

Hi all

Recently on AWE there's been a few people saying things along the lines of "damn, I need practice with the AT4".

Attached to this post is a mission file containing five AT firing ranges:

• One on flat ground in the salt flats,
  • One on top of a hill shooting down,
  • One at the bottom of a hill shooting up,
  • An airburst range, and finally...
  • A live-fire range where you can choose from a set of limited equipment and engage targets that WILL fire back at you. There will be infantry scattered throughout a town and the surrounding area, and the town will contain IFVs, APCs and an MBT.

You can teleport to each of the ranges using the scroll wheel menu, and there's a few resupply crates at each. Practice your skills with the AT4, M72, RPG-7, RPG-26, SMAW and MAAWS at distances ranging from 100m to 1.2km and at varying angles of elevation.

The file is unbinarized so you can easily tweak the .sqf to your heart's content.

Step-by-step instructions (if you don't know how to run the mission file):

1) Download and unzip the file below.

2) Copy the unzipped version into your Arma 3 "missions" directory for your character's profile. For me, this is in Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\GandalfTheCray\missions.

3) Boot up Arma with the AWE modset and launch into the Eden Editor (any map).

4) Click "Open", select "Missions" from the left-hand box and you should find "ATRange".

5) Open ATRange and launch in singleplayer using the button in the bottom right of the editor!

ATrange_v_1_1.Altis.zip

Also if your weight and role allow for it take some form of AT. Even if you aren't going to use it, take it so some else can. 

Ex: the marksman often doesn't weigh a lot but you also shouldn't really be up front using AT. So bring an extra M27 and give it to your LAT when he runs out.

I know this is often said, but it is a key point of good team play. 

-Ben

Good mission, really useful for people to get used to the ranging and how to use their launcher properly. Only thing that could improve on it even more is possibly adding in something that could be used with air burst. For example, a hovering helicopter that is BLUFOR, this way it wont attack and will stay still. However that could be for another mission another time, still excellent work :D

1 minute ago, McKillen said:

air burst

Yes, will definitely add this at some point! Some hovering helis, some helis that follow a set patrol path, and some UAZs/GAZs that are behind cover but you can airburst from the side or above :)

Could make them Opfor helis, as long as I make sure they have no ammunition and set combat state to careless?

4 hours ago, BenjaminHL said:

Also if your weight and role allow for it take some form of AT. Even if you aren't going to use it, take it so some else can. 

Ex: the marksman often doesn't weigh a lot but you also shouldn't really be up front using AT. So bring an extra M27 and give it to your LAT when he runs out.

-Ben

When MAT/HAT isn't around that would be a good idea. However when there's an AT team online it kind of defeats their purpose if everyone is carrying launchers ;)

4 hours ago, BenjaminHL said:

-Ben

This should only be done if TL/SL requests it.

3 hours ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

When MAT/HAT isn't around that would be a good idea. However when there's an AT team online it kind of defeats their purpose if everyone is carrying launchers ;)

I'd tend to agree, though I blame it in large part on how unrealistically effective the AT4s we have available are. I do play as MAT a fair bit, and I personally have no problem with people bringing M72s.

I see the AT that grunt infantry carries as a tool to be used when backed into a corner. It's good to have when you really, really need it.

The problem isn't carrying it, but rather that players will use it the first chance they get, regardless of the situation and the availability of other dedicated assets, leaving them lacking later on down the line.

5 hours ago, Amentes said:

The problem isn't carrying it, but rather that players will use it the first chance they get, regardless of the situation and the availability of other dedicated assets, leaving them lacking later on down the line.

To be fair, sometimes it's hard to assess whether MAT will be in position in time to realistically be able to help you. When that BMP is rolling up on you, it's hard not to prep AT and send off a shot when it gets close.

I've taken to having MAT roll directly with Alpha for just this reason, rather than putting them in an overwatch position.

On 6/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, GandalfTheCray said:

Hi all

Recently on AWE there's been a few people saying things along the lines of "damn, I need practice with the AT4".

[Snipety snip]

You are now officially my hero, I will install this as soon as I get home!

I cannot count the times when I've missed with various types of launchers and you have been there to save my bacon!

EDIT: Is there any way to maybe spawn a live enemy vehicle via the crate? Static targets and ranging is all good and quite helpfull. But it does not simulate the stress of ranging and firing when in live contact. ;)

On 05/06/2017 at 4:40 PM, Lindi said:

You are now officially my hero, I will install this as soon as I get home!

I cannot count the times when I've missed with various types of launchers and you have been there to save my bacon!

EDIT: Is there any way to maybe spawn a live enemy vehicle via the crate? Static targets and ranging is all good and quite helpfull. But it does not simulate the stress of ranging and firing when in live contact. ;)

I'll add this via the scroll menu in a new version, along with a few other things. I can make the player character invincible with effects like suppression & weapon sway still being a factor?

Thinking something like a new area where an enemy vehicle of your choice is patrolling around a town and you have to hit it (either from a nearby hill or CQB)?

3 minutes ago, GandalfTheCray said:

I'll add this via the scroll menu in a new version, along with a few other things. I can make the player character invincible with effects like suppression & weapon sway still being a factor?

Thinking something like a new area where an enemy vehicle of your choice is patrolling around a town and you have to hit it (either from a nearby hill or CQB)?

Sounds good or two different areas, one QCB one more open perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...