Whitelisted Pilots for EU #1 and #2

Huahuawei

Question

A solution for the bad pilots in the EU #1 and #2 could be that we would use whitelisted pilots. Of course this would cause the problem of sometimes there not being any pilots online but that would mean that the ones who want to be a pilot must be active too. This would reduce the frustration of dying from a crash over and over again for half an hour, like I've seen happen.

23 answers to this question

We've been talking about things like these for the past few months (just linking the discussion for flow)

It's a good idea, but let's see if any opinions have changed.

Personally, though I think the idea is a good one, it's a bit of a pain to implement.

How would one become white listed if implemented? And with Apex and the new Vtols ect becoming available (its not just a jump in and fly the aircraft without some practice on handling ect ) is in my opinion going to see alot more crashes

just my Pie's 2c

Its not worth it, bad pilots are easy enough to name and shame. Plus, there must be hundreds of competent pilots that play over the two servers, this idea is suggesting that we somehow screen them all and judge their piloting skills? It will just take too long.

Always apply common sense first.

I rarely fly with new pilots. If i dont see familiar names or i see pilots crashing (always easy to spot because of mass TK which crashes tend to create) i load up buch of stuff in 4x4 and just drive. Do the same and you will save yourself some headaches :)

BTW: I am against whitelisting pilots. In my opinion this could create elitism and it has no place on servers like EU1&2.

Working with a white-list would require every new pilot to be evaluated, and if they fail that test, be evaluated again some time later when they reapply. This would require a tremendous amount of time and effort from the AW-staff.

Even though I know I'm a decent virtual pilot, I realise you don't have a clue who I am. Hence, as a newcomer, it can still be a bit daunting to throw myself out there and be the bus driver among/for the veterans, but I like that I'm given the chance to prove my worth. That goes not only for the pilot slot, but for every role there is on the server. Of course, if I screw up (repeatedly), I'd understand if someone (kindly) told me to get some more practice/training elsewhere. :)

6 hours ago, Pie said:

How would one become white listed if implemented? And with Apex and the new Vtols ect becoming available (its not just a jump in and fly the aircraft without some practice on handling ect ) is in my opinion going to see alot more crashes

just my Pie's 2c

I'd argue that a good pilot can fly basic maneuvers in anything. I haven't flown the Blackfish that much yet, and I've still got a ways to go before mastering it, but even then doing basic transport flights isn't any kind of a challenge.

I think most of the "good pilots" around would agree with me :)

On 3.7.2016 at 10:00 PM, Eagle-Eye said:

Working with a white-list would require every new pilot to be evaluated, and if they fail that test, be evaluated again some time later when they reapply. This would require a tremendous amount of time and effort from the AW-staff.

Even though I know I'm a decent virtual pilot, I realise you don't have a clue who I am. Hence, as a newcomer, it can still be a bit daunting to throw myself out there and be the bus driver among/for the veterans, but I like that I'm given the chance to prove my worth. That goes not only for the pilot slot, but for every role there is on the server. Of course, if I screw up (repeatedly), I'd understand if someone (kindly) told me to get some more practice/training elsewhere. :)

I can see the bigger problem it would create now. It would be time consuming and taking away time to implement other features and fixes, but if done right it could have maybe worked.

Thinking back it is easy to not hop in to a bad pilot's ride, but some people don't realize it and get killed before they get to do anything. I could see this being frustrating for newcomers. 

10 hours ago, Amentes said:

I'd argue that a good pilot can fly basic maneuvers in anything. I haven't flown the Blackfish that much yet, and I've still got a ways to go before mastering it, but even then doing basic transport flights isn't any kind of a challenge.

I think most of the "good pilots" around would agree with me :)

I don't agree with you (about "basic transport flights isn't any kind of a challenge"), and I'm far from an expert myself too. Although I do have quite some flight hours in ArmA2 (+100 hours of offline training, unknown hours of MP flying).

Doing transport flights is one of the most difficult things of flying and it will separate the n00bs from the pr0's within seconds.

To be a decent pilot you need to be able to do at least the following:

- communicate with command and other pilots (TS is crucial)

- able to fly a damaged air vehicle (no tail rotor, no engine power, no fuel)

- able to (safely) land a damaged air vehicle

- able to read the map to find a safe approach and landing zone

- able to adapt your plan based on the situation

- able to be the boss of your vehicle

Especially the last 2 points are something a lot of pilots are missing (even with the pro's), although at 99% of the public servers I played at, all of the above was missing with most "pilots".

At this time I won't even consider flying while transporting other players or transporting precious cargo.

About the whitelist idea; even though I don't think it's a bad to improve the quality of the pilots, it's a bad idea for the server. New players (who might be great pilots) won't play, and like said before, it's just too much work to monitor and regulate.

Edited by Grezvany13
changed "no main rotor" to "no engine power"

1 hour ago, Grezvany13 said:

- able to fly a damaged air vehicle (no tail rotor, no main rotor, no fuel)

I dont think anybody can fly without main rotor. I think you meant engine loss. 

Overall yes i agree with you, but Amantes was reacting on that good pilot will adapt to VTOLs easily becouse they already have those skills you mentioned from flying helicopters.

Just now, Cebi said:

I dont think anybody can fly without main rotor. I think you meant engine loss. 

Flying might be the wrong term, but you can land a helicopter while not having a main rotor (will be a very hard landing).

Most helicopters are aerodynamic enough to be able to glide, and since A3 allows helicopters to slide on the ground (instead of crashing while going 5km/h), it's technically possible to do this. It does require a working tail rotor though.

But you're right, a decent pilot should be able to land while experiencing an engine loss.

A professional pilot will at least try to land without a main rotor, instead of screaming ;)

Guest Luetin

This has been discussed before, I think the answer will come back still as no.

The problem with a whitelist is that if none of those people are on. you have no pilots, and that's as far as it needs to be discussed.

It's also restrictive in terms of people joining and taking a role they want to try. Being a bad pilot and being a new pilot are not the same thing, and its right for us to give people a chance to learn.

4 hours ago, Grezvany13 said:

Wall

What you're describing is not "basic transport flying". If you're getting shot at, it's not "basic". Does that clear up any discrepancies? :P

Also, I've gotta say I simply won't believe that you've transitioned a helicopter from normal flight into a survivable landing after a catastrophic main rotor loss.

At that point, you're falling like a brick, and you will have zero translation control.

If you wanna make that claim, back it up with a video so I can find out what glitch you were experiencing :P

1 minute ago, Amentes said:

What you're describing is not "basic transport flying". If you're getting shot at, it's not "basic". Does that clear up any discrepancies? :P

The biggest problem is, if you only know the "basics", you will get shot at :P

But in general I trust the pilot, and will help him/her to arrive at location as safe as possible (if needed). And if something happens, well, it's a game, so I'll respawn ;)

Baring in mind Amentes is one of the best pilots in the community, and myself being pretty darn good if I do say so myself, one does not simply set up for a crash landing with no main rotor. It is the job of a 'good' pilot to not expose the air-frame to that degree of risk, or to do so in a controlled manner allowing for recoverability. Yes you can land with no main, however it is one in a million. Please if you know of a way of always landing with a main rotor failure, you may be a better pilot than Dyslexci!

Apologies for off topic.

Guest Luetin
42 minutes ago, Copey said:

Baring in mind Amentes is one of the best pilots in the community, and myself being pretty darn good if I do say so myself, one does not simply set up for a crash landing with no main rotor. It is the job of a 'good' pilot to not expose the air-frame to that degree of risk, or to do so in a controlled manner allowing for recoverability. Yes you can land with no main, however it is one in a million. Please if you know of a way of always landing with a main rotor failure, you may be a better pilot than Dyslexci!

Apologies for off topic.

I've managed it ;D think I have a mission or gameplay of that somewhere but its always a fluke lol

2 minutes ago, Luetin said:

I've managed it ;D think I have a mission or gameplay of that somewhere but its always a fluke lol

I think what I'm getting from the thread is that - no main rotor = brick - which is why he reworded it to Engine power...

If you have no main rotor you cannot auto-rotate as there is no rotor....

There are actually pretty good tutorials out there to give you the guidelines on how to safely land with no main rotor and ive tried it myself with great success 

This bad pilots Conversation are Upcoming everytime  if a Steam Sale or Freeweekend For Arma, so the best Solution is to Speak with this Persons if they dont wont leave the Slot call a admin make a vid/picture Report it on the Forum... ;)  Koyote out

6 hours ago, Luetin said:

This has been discussed before, I think the answer will come back still as no.

The problem with a whitelist is that if none of those people are on. you have no pilots, and that's as far as it needs to be discussed.

It's also restrictive in terms of people joining and taking a role they want to try. Being a bad pilot and being a new pilot are not the same thing, and its right for us to give people a chance to learn.

6 hours ago, BACONMOP said:

NO. Will not happen. Ever.

Like Luetin says we discused this internaly  and externaly alot  it will not happen 

Also locking topic before Derailment