Replace A-10?

Right, so I've never been too fond of the A-10. I don't like how it handles in the air, and we've all experienced the lag of a pilot working the cannon.

As the title may have revealed, I'm suggesting that we replace the A-10, and the best option I've seen so far relies on going back to our roots, of sorts, in the F/A-18 X Black Wasp "futurized" version of the '18 we've used in the past.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27129

If anyone knows of better options for a single-seat aircraft capable of providing multiple levels of CAS as defined by Command prior to mission start, I'd love to see them.

i know that this is slightly unrelated but i also know of the Ornithology - MELB aircraft pack and it adds some nice helos that are meant to be very nice to fly and control: 

Heres the link if anyone is interested (being used by the guys at shactac and they are raving about them) 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28856 

also collision lights are IR so yey no more getting spotted by sneaky russians on night ops ;) 

You just said you don`t like how it lags when you fire he cannon and you link the mod that has been doing that from the beginning :P

I`ve used this mod before in a MP enviroment and as soon it was flying over infantry or was engaging targets, it caused lag on all clients.

Because people were using a 20mm cannon made for kill air targets. Which, if you'll excuse my french, is a dumb thing to be doing :P

The thing with this plane is, it will actually carry more bombs/missiles than the A-10, or even the A-164.

But the best part is, you can tailor it. If there's 30 of us, but nobody bothered to go MAT or HAT, well, then we can load it up with a ton of Mavericks, but we also have the option of using a wide combination of bomb sizes, which can either be laser guided, or dropped on a grid coordinate.

Point being, it adds a ton of functionality in one package that we just don't have in the A-10, and it can effectively rely on bombs and missiles instead of the 30mm cannon, meaning cannon firing will be an extreme rarity.

i know that this is slightly unrelated but i also know of the Ornithology - MELB aircraft pack and it adds some nice helos that are meant to be very nice to fly and control: 

Heres the link if anyone is interested (being used by the guys at shactac and they are raving about them) 

also collision lights are IR so yey no more getting spotted by sneaky russians on night ops ;)

Isn't that the same MELB package we're already using GhostDragon?

i won't mind seeing that, having 2 seater jets is very nice :D

The futurized version doesn't have a 2-seater. That said, personally I mostly see planes as something to be used when we don't have a copilot, as I'd rather we use helicopters then.

Past week, we did use the A-10 a lot though, which is why I think a replacement is due :P

I really like the idea, allready played a bit with Black Wasp. The awesome thing is the arsenal, when the jet is parked next to the HEMTT Ammo Truck there is aircraft configuration option. There are 2 types of ATGM Missiles, JDAM GPS/INS Bombs, GBU's and few AA Missile Types. We can mount any kind of weaponry that we need at the moment. 

i won't mind seeing that, having 2 seater jets is very nice :D

The black was is one seater. Black Wasp is a futuristic verision, made by the same people who made the F/A-18 Hornet Pack. But it doesnt include two seater variant.

We allready have that pack i believe.

Two seater jets would be perfect as it would mean more realistic gameplay with the copilot navigating and operating weapons, it would also prevent that awkward, join as a copilot and realise your pilot is flying a jet scenario. However the only two seaters I know of is the F18 Super Hornet and well, they were crap. +1 for replacing the A10 anyway

@Blue42, you didn't like the tandem Super Hornet?  Please share.

Well there are camera bugs and shit, coopilots camera sometimes just locks and you cannot unlock it and other stuff. I think it was just the old scripting on it.

I actually agree 100% Smiley, I'd rather we not use planes.

But the reality is, sometimes there's two pilots without any Co-Pilots, but the need for CAS is still there. Kinda leaves a plane as the only option.

Considering the move to CUP I think we should maybe try experimenting with what works best now. I would be entirely down for 2 seater planes, but even with single seaters we have now I think they are totally fine as long as they are used sensibly and correctly. So not used at will by the pilots in the air, but rather by express permission of the ground commander. To me it doesn't matter if it's entirely OP because targets cannot (according to the rules, and so should not) be engaged without the express permission of command or the lead element at that time. To me it's about having this ability to be totally overwhelming, but using it in moderation, and only utilising it's full potential when absolutely needed. For me a perfect example is when I'm commanding I'll inform CAS that if 'Eagle' is used on JTAC net then that is a call for emergency CAS, and that you don't need express permission for targets at that time, because frankly we are in the shit on the ground and need help.

On a second note I agree with amentes above entirely, sometimes there is no other option.

i love having a jet in the air for cas, as a ground trooper it gives us reassurence that if crap hits the fan support is only a call away even if the jet it at base. Yesterday was a perfect example of how CAS jets can be used to support ground troops effectively. 

i love having a jet in the air for cas, as a ground trooper it gives us reassurence that if crap hits the fan support is only a call away even if the jet it at base. Yesterday was a perfect example of how CAS jets can be used to support ground troops effectively. 

I was about to bring that up. Up until yesterday I thought CAS fixed-wings were forbidden, or at least shunned, because I'd never seen one on EU3. Just hearing the call for a fire mission, and then feeling the ground shaking from the cannon impacts, was on a whole different level than when a Littlebird drops a few rockets.

So personally, I'm all for jets. With a good enough population, pilots usually play taxi or recon a lot, so if shit hits the fan and they get called, they'd still have to RTB, find the CAS bird, taxi to the runway, take off, receive fire mission and then take out the target. There's a sufficient time buffer to prevent OPness, I think. It's not some deus ex machina insta-win trump card. Same applies to attack helicopters.

With that in mind, having a variety of jets can only be good and the Wasp is super modular. But it's up to the pilots to show their preferences, us ground troops just appreciate the orchestra of death.

however i do think that only reliable pilots should be in cas as it is 

A) probably a very important cas mission that is needed to be carried out

B: EXTREMELY close quarters meaning we as ground troops need to know the pilot can aim

C) Not have to constantly check that the pilot is obeying the rules and engaging without permission. 

Its balanced and a valuable tool to have in our arsenal if used correctly. 

personally i would only chose a very select few to pilot a jet or other cas aircraft because i need to trust them with mine and the teams lives if called in.

I disagree on a point of removing jets. I like that there's a vehicle that can provide sufficient destruction for a CAS Air Asset, without Pilot - CooPilot. Instead it requires way better cooperation of pilot with ground forces(JTAC mostly) / other pilot team  than an Attack Helicopter. I recon one time on Sahrani where i flown an A-10A for few hours. What we did was making me (Talon) cooperate with other pilot team (Vortex) I believe it was Amentes and H0K, Vortex was flying scout flights around AO, and after a permission, lasing targets for fire missions, where i was holding on around 2-3km above the ground and only went down when fire mission was requested and designated. I really like the realism we got doing that. As of what i have seen very often, CAS pilots were breaking off the leash going under 200m, often

loosing the vehicle after a few strikes.

I love flying CAS, probably because that's what i am actually learning to operate as in real life, and know how to do it. But there are few people who just turn full retard while getting one, It hurts me when i see people who can barely fly straight get into a CAS bird spamming rockets all around the place, it doesn't happen too often, but still, it does.

Also that's nice commanding and being aware that there is a guardian angel that can be called in for when everything goes to peaces   

((Totally offtopic, i think a good idea would be bigger penalties for loosing a vehicle, i see people leaving damaged (sometimes even perfectly fine) humvees, tanks, and helicopters because of the thing respawning after a few minutes, it would actually be some more fun to break off AO and go for a mission of returning damaged or abandoned vehicles, maybe some fun for the upcoming FSG engineer team))

Jets won't be removed any time soon, unless there's a huge groundswell that leans that way.

CUP doesn't add any two-seater BLUFOR jets; it does add the two-seater SU-34, but that's OPFOR.  Thus, we're looking at the F/A 18 Super Hornet which adds the tandem version of the jet.

The Black Wasp might be too futuristic for the setting of EU3, but that isn't saying we won't take a look at it.

-R

The Tornado GR4 is a two seater Blufor aircraft suited for the role; I'm not aware of any current mods for it though. It'd also fit in with the newer Brit kit we've gained.

Edit 4/3 14:45

There's also the AT-6B; there's a mod on the Steam Workshop for one. It's a prop-driven two-seater light CAS aircraft. Things like this were considered over the A-10 for counter-insurgency roles, and are used by anti-drug task forces in central America. Though not specifically fit to our US vs Russian trend as of late, it'd be nice to have; specifically for the two-seater aspect. The pilot has light rockets and a .50 MG, and the co-pilot has a laser marker, 2x GBU-12s, and 2x AGMs.

I've also found a mod for the Tornado, I'm downloading and testing it now.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=164702&highlight=TORNADO#164702

Second edit: That Tornado mod sucks. :(