Incentive to command

Hi folks,

I've been seeing a lot of people choosing to not take command positions on the server lately (ASL, PlatCo, even Team Leaders).  In 99% of cases this leads to a poor missions because there is no plan.  I am happy to run as ASL or PlatCo, but what is occurring to me is that we could create some incentives to be a leader.

Right now, the only inducement for Team or Squad leads is that you can take the Scar 17 16".  Can we, as a group, think of other incentives that would make people lust to be Squad Lead or Team Lead?

In a perfect world, I would make it so that the mission objectives do not spawn until there is someone in a Squad Leader or Platoon Leader position.  Other games (Natural Selection 2 comes to mind) have this approach and it's very effective in getting people to pick up the mantle of responsibility.  I'm guessing further development of Gauntlet is not going to happen, so maybe this can be a thing in Valiant?

It's nice to be seeing new people take on leadership positions, but it hasn't always worked out because they have been taking on more leadership than they're ready for (PlatCo, for example, without significant experience in SL or TL).  I'd highly advise sticking to TL for a while before moving on to SL or PC.

Oh, and in case it's useful to people - here's a link to all my thoughts on leading units: http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/topic/4521-thoughts-on-leading-a-unit/

-R

To read up on leadership duties, I can also thoroughly recommend ShackTac's strategy and gameplay guide (or any of Dsylecxi's stuff, for that matter) which should be freely available on their website. The complete guide, adding special weapons and tactics, was bundled with Arma 3 Deluxe. Check if you have that, then use it. It's a good read, too.

Is there any chance for some kind of leadership workshop? Have a show-and-tell dry run with a whole squad and then take turns to ascend to TL and eventually SL. Being able to show off having completed that workshop might encourage people to fill TL in a live mission, or at the very least be confident enough to assume command when the former lead is KIA.

I'd volunteer to hold the class, preferably with someone else.

I'd be there. Sadly, I couldn't attend Raz's leadership workshop a few weeks ago.

I've been wanting to pick up leading roles as I too have noticed a lack of adherence from people. I have observed how veterans do it, but it's not enough and was actually intending on asking Ryko for tips sometime soon. Guess a workshop would be even better!

Good idea but remember:

As you Go hyper up in the leadership more pressure comes onto you and a lot more response ability for how everyone's game is ran. You as platoon command have a lot more response ability than the average rifleman, team lead or even squad lead. Of which a lot of people don't like, don't enjoy etc.

However on that note new leaders are always welcome with very large arms! However at no point would I pressure someone into the slot or anything like that as that is when things go wrong :) not that is what I'm saying is going to happen here but always keep it in mind.

Anyway if you need my help feel free to shoot me a message.

I'd be there. Sadly, I couldn't attend Raz's leadership workshop a few weeks ago.

I've been wanting to pick up leading roles as I too have noticed a lack of adherence from people. I have observed how veterans do it, but it's not enough and was actually intending on asking Ryko for tips sometime soon. Guess a workshop would be even better!

Whoops I wasnt logged on but my point still stands :P

I think the main issue with commanding and leading is quiet a few people lose faith in doing it.

"Can we go now!..."

Why is this taking so long..."

Just a couple examples of things people say at base while leaders mark out a plan, get some f*cking patience.

I can do any leading role as I'm experienced in all, if it's really needed I will try and jump in teamleader and squadleader a bit more.

Anyone needs any tips or anything to do with any of the commanding or leading roles then feel free to talk to me, sad thing is, I haven't been able to show like 80% of the tactics and maneuvers I know because the community never want any part in it. It usually comes down to the simple: Fly in, land, go across waypoints, finish AO after loosing like 90% of the players and having to shuttle run them, get back and evac. Sad really, would love to do more foot patrols and vehicle convoys with the usual maneuvers like: pincers, herringbone, bounding and phase lines. Those are all fun to do.

In the end, Squadleaders and Teamleaders should like what they're doing and continue to do it because the squad mates get respect for them and look up to them. I feel that we don't have this though because people don't actually care if someone dies or get's MIA like a shot down pilot. If people dying and getting lost actually impacted the AO by a larger amount then we would in turn care more for each other, also getting stricter loadouts may help the gameplay so people would have to share ammo and supplies, but i'm getting off topic here.

In conclusion, if we need a leader i'm happy to do it more often if people like.

"Realism"

In my opinion a lot of people overlook command due to the stigma of it being too hard. In reality it's just squad lead with a few extra units to command at the core of the job. You have you FAC to order about the pilots and the squad leads tend to give orders to the team leads, so in reality you're only in contact with as many people as a squad/team lead. The incentive should be the joy you get out of a mission being successful planned out and completed.

There are some draw backs however, the lack of action, due to needing to hold back and not being killed. The command must mostly stay out of the immediate line of fire, unless there is a convoy situation. This fact could be one of the reasons people avoid this job.

Like Minipily said there is also the constant moaning from the players about the time it takes to plan out an object, and this leads to people being put off the job altogether. It could also be overwhelming when there is a large player base online, however there tends to be an experienced commander on at this stage. The idea of another training session sounds great and I would love to help out in any way I could :).  

I do not believe you can increase incentive to fill command slots. I personally have pretty much quit on command slots, since people without any command authority, keep over ruling my orders, no matter if it's my decision or passed down to me.

TS Badge has advantages and drawbacks, It might make command seem an elitist position and discourage new players (Withouth the badge) taking it however if its obvious there is something to do to achieve the badge it might work. I don't know how uniforms or perks would work.

I believe that giving rewards for commanding such as teamspeak badges or unique uniforms is the wrong way to go about it. People would do it a couple of times to get the badge and then not do it again. I think the general gratitude of the people you're commanding is enough. Either way a command / unit training session would be great and i'm to help you in setting one up. 

To my recollection, Ahoyworld does NOT support things that divide the community to "i am better then you" mentality.

This is correct, we were founded on the principle that anybody can do anything that anybody else can do. for example all players are able to take a pilot slot on EU1 regardless of being on teamspeak or not. Anybody can drop into a platoon commander slot regardless of experience if they want, anybody can use a mortar (in the right slot and at the right moment) there's no exclusives here.

That being said a slot exclusive thing is no bad deal, like pilots can only fly helicopters.

I've tried a commanding workshop with great interest, if you guys have time you could make another one?

I'm good whenever if its evening GMT, then during the day on wed-sun :D

Also as suggested by twitch chat I'm thinking about doing a series of vids of "how to EU 3" ranging from the basic of the basic like the arsenal (pre save load-outs) and basic radio workings up to some of the more basic commanding strategies, with game-play from my streams cut in. is anyone interested in helping with this? 

is anyone interested in helping with this? 

Count me in as your slave demonstrating assistant.

With a couple more, we can show how to properly set up a standard fireteam, respond to orders, call out targets and engage them. Prime example for all of this is destroying a vehicle with LAT: "Take cover! Destroy that MRAP, range: 350 metres!" - "Clear backblast!" - "Backblast clear!" - Fire.

It's a single task, but it requires 360-degree awareness and a fluid response to many things at once. I know from experience that this trivial thing can be quite overwhelming for beginners.