PMC Ops Kunduz Week 3

Server Details: Note new server IP details

IP: 116.202.224.207

Port: 2302

Mods Required:

Arma 3 Preset PMC OPs.html

TS address: ts.ahoyworld.net

TEAMSPEAK MISSION BRIEFING FOR ALL PLAYERS WILL BEGIN AT 17.30 UTC

Expected Mission Length: 120+ minutes (may go over or under expected mission length)

Player Slots: 30 (4 Teams of 6, command, Phoenix Medivac and vortex )

Situation

As a show of gratitude for saving the lives of the US personnel the garrison commander has given us the intel gained from their meeting with the village elders in Tappeh Ka.

This valuable is tactically important to friendly forces in the area but also financially important to us as a source of revenue. The intel suggests the whereabouts of an unnamed insurgent leader who orchestrated the ambush on US forces. Our goal is to find and capture this target and to leverage any intel we can gain from him. He is likely to be well guarded and close to a large supply of insurgent weapons, if possible find and destroy these.

Assets:

1 x MH-6M Littlebird

1 x AH-6M Little Bird

1 x UH-60M

Various ground transport and support vehicles

Friendly Forces:

US Army 

Afghan National Army and Police forces

Enemy Forces:

Insurgents and non allied tribal fighters 

Civilians:

Civilians are concentrated around towns and villages.

Mission

Act on the intel gained from US forces and search for the Insurgent leader. Capture or destroy any enemy assets you encounter along the way.

Execution

Objectives:

Follow intel trail to find and capture the insurgent leader

Capture/Destroy any insurgent members or equipment encountered 

Movement Plan:

At Commanders discretion

Rules of Engagement:

Armed personnel may be engaged on sight.

Civilians are present in the area so collateral damage is to be kept to a minimum.

Only buildings clearly being used for a military purpose may be engaged.

Civilian life must be protected (Hearts and minds)

Optional Tasks:

None

Admin & Logistics

Resupply:

At the commander’s control, assets are available at base to facilitate this.

Reinforcements:

Unlimited

At commanders discretion, transport assets are available.

Command & Control

Command:

Overall command lays with codename "Overlord" who will set objectives and ROE.

Operational control on the ground lies with the Platoon Commander.

Communication:

Radio channels are set for each element and can be viewed as part of the Diary accessible through the map . Platoon has limited discretion for change but structure is to be maintained.

2079549054_chads_marketing4(1).thumb.png.617de7480a7e2662f0110eb72d29bd17.png

role: Charlie TL
Zeus: @MidnightRunner
SL: @SiegeSix

This was a fun mission, I like the caves on the map. As mentioned in debrief, Alpha nad Charlie got stuck without purpose at the end of the mission, but that was't anyone's fault, we just copleted all objectives there. Maybe we could have extracted sooner back to base, but no big deal.

some notes:

1) There were some technical problems with people dropping out of the teams during respawns, I trust that was some setting issue, as I haven't seen this before (or at least not for a long time).

2) I would consider giving TLs long-range radio for freq 30.
It would mean no need to re-set additional channel after respawn (which people can forgot) and open additional channel for cooperation between elements without spamming uninvolved parties.
For example me and Alpha TL have been doing some coordination on channel 30, that was being unnecesarily broadcasted to Bravo, Delta and Command. Likewise for B/D.

3) To the discussion about 1st / 3rd view. Correct me if I remember this wrong, but on old AWE, people on foot were forced to 1st and in vehicles you could use 3rd as to lessen hassle for drivers / pilots. Or am I just imagining this? Is this differentiation even possible @Stanhope ?

3 hours ago, kman said:

Maybe we could have extracted sooner back to base

Comms were busy with medivac and stuff, so Vortex didn't receive the information ti'll after.

3 hours ago, kman said:

I would consider giving TLs long-range radio for freq 30.

I agree. Give them the small long range backpack.

3 hours ago, kman said:

Correct me if I remember this wrong, but on old AWE, people on foot were forced to 1st and in vehicles you could use 3rd

I'm here to correct. It was once used in a trial phase to see whether or not people liked it. People disliked it and never got reimplemented.

All in all. I see why iit's the fewest that wants to become Company Commander on these gamenights. 

Being in charge of 6-9 different elements split on two frequencies (and two people), puts a lot of preassure on the comms to work.

I tried, as Company Commander, to treat the teams as squads and give the general idea of I imagine the objectives to be taking, then letting the teams corporate their own combined assault plan. This, at least for Alpha and Charlie worked out perfectly. Big kudos all around.

6 hours ago, kman said:

open additional channel for cooperation between elements without spamming uninvolved parties.
For example me and Alpha TL have been doing some coordination on channel 30, that was being unnecesarily broadcasted to Bravo, Delta and Command. Likewise for B/D.

If we expect the teams to coordinate semi-autonomously, this is basically required. As Alpha TL I found myself wanting to talk to you a lot more, because we could absolutely have streamlined our tasks. But I either couldn't for a lack of transmission time on 30, or didn't want to because I know how it is to have irrelevant chatter on your ear and really felt for Siege and B/D.

13 hours ago, SiegeSix said:

All in all. I see why iit's the fewest that wants to become Company Commander on these gamenights. 

Being in charge of 6-9 different elements split on two frequencies (and two people), puts a lot of preassure on the comms to work.

10 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

As Alpha TL I found myself wanting to talk to you a lot more, because we could absolutely have streamlined our tasks. But I either couldn't for a lack of transmission time on 30, or didn't want to because I know how it is to have irrelevant chatter on your ear and really felt for Siege and B/D.

You know, I feel we are going to re-invent wheel here, but both these problems would go away with usual pyramid command structure i.e.:

Platoon > Squads > each squad 2x Fireteam

Siege would only talk (infantry-wise) to ASL / BSL - each assigned to one AO - and SquadLeads would coordinate with their 2IC on short range radio.

The only drawback I see, is that SL slots would be less desirable too.

Thou perhaps its in the mindset, not micromanaging, but giving second team larger autonomy.

PS: @SiegeSix what did you meant by two frequencies? I thought you had FAC to handle Air (or at least I saw someone running with you).

2 hours ago, kman said:

what did you meant by two frequencies? I thought you had FAC to handle Air

15 hours ago, SiegeSix said:

(and two people)

I did have a FAC, but you have to remember, I have to give the order to the FAC, then he have to give the order. Although I don't talk with air directly, you still have to give them orders

I didn’t really have a problem with the coms until I died and the frequency reset, reinsert heli was at base and I started reprogramming and then got rushed because the pilot got impatient which I understand why. I had my own squads channel, command channel and deltas channel set up so I could easily switch between them when I heard bravo being called at the beginning of the op.
  Now on this op I was in charge of bravo and coordinating with delta, command and fac. Now doing this with a short range radio on a map that is what 5x5km which is within the radios transmission range made things simpler and helped with stamina as I wasn’t carrying the long range radio pack so having that would be cumbersome especially when it’s really not required because of the small map. So taking the extra time to set up the additional channels when you die and are at spawn awaiting reinsert helis to show up may kill the time.
  Now I have a lot of radio experience from my years in the fire dept and my job where I use it everyday helps knowing how and when to transmit. A rule of thumb I use is to think of what you want to say then think of how I can make it more clear and especially short to cut down on unneeded radio traffic (again this came with over a decade of using radios in a professional environment). A lot of radio traffic will affect the outcome of any op as you are painting a picture for the commander via radio transmissions.
  Now you can give him clear and short instructions like “move the paintbrush from the middle and go up” (clear and short) or “put your paintbrush in the middle of the canvas and move it up in a slow manner until you are just about at the top then stop” (yes it is clear, but long).

You can either give him clear and short instructions allowing for other radio traffic that might be more important to come through or give him clear but long drawn out instructions that may get confusing and impedes other important radio traffic that needs to be sent to command.