Arma3 64- & Optimizing framerate

JimboUK

Has anyone tried the development branch recently? (Since December)  NOTE: Doing this will mean you can't connect to AW so only do it if you want to download 10GB of updates, then another 10GB to revert back.

The 64-bit version of Arma3 makes a huge difference on my setup.  I made a few tweaks as per this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385577681 and then installed the development branch to see what difference 64-bit would make.

And, wow, what a difference.  My game went from 30-40fps to 80fps.  I wasn't sure at first whether the difference was due to the tweaks I made as per the above link or the dev branch, but after reverting back so that I could play online (and keeping the tweaks) my framerate dropped again.

My setup:

• Intel i7 4790K 
  • 2 x GTX970 (SLI)
  • 16GB RAM

I think the main improvement is due to the game being allocated 12GB of system memory and 8GB of Video RAM.  Everything was so smooth, even though I'm on a 60hz monitor, so with framerate 'to spare' I re-enabled VSync too which gives a nicer feel as well. 

Does anyone know when the 64-bit version is due to go live? 

Also, are there any benchmarking tools I can run within/alongside Arma to more scientifically record this?

Oh yeah there's the whole Nvidia RAM shitstorm isn't there!  I forgot that when I configured the startup options...

Although... having said that, GTA5 does show "8GB VRAM Available" when I run that, so is this a case-by-case?

I wanted to read up on this so I did and found that BI releases a patch or update about every 10-12 weeks. Since the announcement of 64bit and it going on dev-branch it has been a considerable amount time, and we are getting closer to that 10-12 week timer period. I would predict that something should come in late February or early March. Hope this helps a little-

Ben

16 hours ago, BenjaminHL said:

I wanted to read up on this so I did and found that BI releases a patch or update about every 10-12 weeks. Since the announcement of 64bit and it going on dev-branch it has been a considerable amount time, and we are getting closer to that 10-12 week timer period. I would predict that something should come in late February or early March. Hope this helps a little-

Ben

This is good to know :) it was about 8 weeks ago they announced the dev branch getting 64bit support...

Let me just put up some of my two cents here about testing the dev branch with the 64 bit executable in both stress testing and some test ops via the zeus interface.

1. Yes, frames drastically improve (We all knew that though XD)

2. Memory leaks ARE LESS FREQUENT, THEY ARE NOT GONE FOR HIGHER END COMPUTERS. To give some background through the stress testing, in the 8ish hours I spent on Altis doing stuff, I only leaked once BUT 4 seconds later it actually recovered. After a few recent updates on the current standard build of Arma 3 I've noticed the same, so it's possible they're tweaking something else to fix this. Tanoa, however, still gave a few crashes...then again Tanoa is still pretty unoptimized...or just the thick jungle is pure evil. for the best effects, just keep running your graphics on medium if you're going to zeus or play in heavy action ops, still have your zeus minimize destroyed vehicles and smoke use, etc. etc.

Also, I say for higher end computers because I've never gotten a memory leak on a gaming laptop that runs Arma 3 in low quality but still gets a solid 25-30 FPS, and I used to play Arma 3 on it from when the tanoa update came out and the memory leak error began up until early September when I upgraded to my dedicated rig.

3. Just remember... expect to see a lot of mods break with the impending update of the .exe file... and knowing some of these mod teams...expect it to take a few weeks before everything is patched up.

GL and HF!

From your local friendly Zeus,

-Liru

From what I've read, people shouldn't expect to go from 30 to 60 fps, but rather 30 to 31 fps; the difference however will be in the feel of those 31 fps, there won't be things like stuttering when going through a city, or when you zoom in through optics.  Textures should also load much more quickly to the point that you shouldn't see them fade in.