Mark of the Pilot

Extra

Question

Hello everyone. As you can tell by the title, this is my idea about have a mark for pilots.

I had this weird thought that for on the Eu1 and Eu2 servers, maybe even Eu3 (i do not play on that server so am not really in any position to say suggest anything) that for well known pilots they should have some sort of mark to say that they are good if not great pilots. Pilots which are well known to the server and are experienced. Although certain pilots are well known through the servers and well known to the Ahoy community. Some may not be or anyone who joins is unaware of the pilots.

To sum up what i very badly worded, pilots who are well known should have a mark to say that they are recognised and skilled pilots. This mark could make certain events where pilots are needed easier to choose the pilots. For example "To pilot for this event, you must have your pilot wings." Or even when in-game depending on which pilot you're flying with, will make the difference if they can run riskier run and ao's. Also for when piloting jets, you want someone who can fly a jet and actually assist with the task at hand or be able to defeat enemy targets in the sky.

This is purely just an idea. In hindsight quite a crappy and uneeded idea, so if you made it this far, well done. If anyone wants to attempt to reword,improve and expand on what I have said, please do.

Ciao

Extra

17 answers to this question

This would come to close to mil-sim in my opinion; something we're trying to not become on any of the servers.
Everybody deserves equal chances, especially on the somewhat easier accessible (unmodded) servers where it is basically click and play; without getting a chance to improve, no-one is going to be better.

It's a nice idea but I struggle to see what purpose it would actually have. The only outcome would be that pilots without the "mark" will be at a constant disadvantage, which I don't think is very fair.

There are already basic rules that you must be (somewhat) competent at flying to be a pilot. Whilst that bar isn't exactly very high, I think it's good enough for EU1/2.

Now i'm gonna have to follow the rest of the guys on this one but i still think this is a pretty good idea.

I see some pilots entering the server who are literally taking their first flying lessons. Perhaps only mark those who have actually run trough the basic training of Arma?

If that is a possibility?

EU1 and 2 are public servers so the aviator badges would be a bit unfair... Great idea for EU3, though...

Nope.

If pilots get a badge, shouldn't medics as well? What about leaders? And Marksmen? This was discussed in the EU3 community meeting, and it's basically what Smiley said.

Besides, the EU3 community is much smaller than EU1 or 2, so mostly everyone knows each other, so we know who's a good pilot, who's not, and so forth. It doesn't make sense, and breaks the spirit of EU3, I feel.

I agree with you on that Colsta and i honostly don't see the point of some sort of badges implemented but i like the idea that by some changes made (badges, authorization,...) only pilots who have at least some basics can fly heli's on the EU1/2 servers. Nothing more annoying then firststarters taking the vortex slots and constantly crashing (full) helicopters because they didnt even take the basic training...

What is your opinion? And can it be done aswell? If there is nothing to do about this i think we shouldnt be needing this discussion/topic to be continued ;)

grts Lex

What is your opinion? And can it be done aswell? If there is nothing to do about this i think we shouldnt be needing this discussion/topic to be continued ;)

I don't have an opinion because I don't play there. I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about.

I have read through and agree with every comment on this post, I see i most likely should have thought about my idea for a little longer and thought about all the pros and the cons about this scheme. Thank you all for the bountiful amount of feedback I have received.

Extra

:D

Going with most of the people here I think badges would be a bad idea as it would turn the servers mostly eu3 into more of a mil sim server which is not what I see that this community is about.

An idea I had would be maybe a recommendation page where players can say who is good and maybe willing to teach new players the roles of a slot but that may be following the badge idea which not many people think would be good for ahoy world

I know I maybe contradicting myself in some places

I'd agree with the majority here, but flying lessons aren't a bad thing, they've been done before and I'd be happy to run them again, but be warned it won't be easy!

I honestly think hosting some flying lessons sometime soon would be a good idea, if people dared to attend to it.

There's been a few questions on flying in the forums lately, some people seem to be curious about flying.

i agree to both sides XD

i like the idea of having a badge for known good pilots but i understand that it would be difficult to implement and that it might cause problems such as people dont really wanna fly with people that dont have the badge and that people don't really wanna take a pilot slot because they don't have a badge

(on the other hand, im the kind of person that will actively avoid a pilot if i know he is a bad pilot)

An idea I had would be maybe a recommendation page where players can say who is good and maybe willing to teach new players the roles of a slot

Imo, that actually sounds like a good idea, most probably a better and more useful one then mine. Think about it and consider posting it on the ideas forum :D