Fixing Helicopters

Tyberius

Question

I'd like to propose an idea for all of the public A3-servers that have blocked vehicle access to the bases helipads.

It would consist of adding a fixed asset, may it be a locked vehicle, an unliftable repair-container or something completely different, as long as pilots could repair helicopters with broken rotors on the pad instead of having to wait for a Spartan or Admin to log on and clear the pads.

Because as of now from time to time pilots lose their main rotors on the pads due to enemy jets or infamous lamp posts and cant take off again or bring the Bobcat/Rep-HEMTT because of the new, higher walls that have been added for protection agains vehicle-based assaults on friendly pilots.

(don't get me wrong, I like those walls and the purpose they serve, but it's frustrating when you join on in, get the last pilot slot on a nearly full server and can't do anything because the only helicopter left is left on the pads with no rotor and the Buzzard just crashed)

16 answers to this question

That refuel truck could be replaced by a repair and a refuel Huron box, but it might be tight to land then.

As a explanation to why it was so blocked off. People decided it was a good idea to drive Moras, Slammers and other tracked vehicles in there, destroying helis, making it impossible to land there.

The root cause of the problem is not the fact that you're unable to drive up to the staging area with a repair truck.

The root cause of the problem is idiot pilots who crash things in base, and most often, don't have the decency to do or say anything about it. 

As I proposed in another thread, I strongly believe that we need to prioritize people on TS for pilot slots, meaning that people who are not on TS are still allowed to get a pilot slot, but risk being replaced by a pilot on TS if the people on TS believe that pilots are not doing their job or are making a mess of things.

It is in fact very doable to get a chopper working again if it's parked there. Either get a repair spec, a repair vehicle, or blow it up.

I think your suggestion of removing pilots from their slots is already in place as if you're on TS you can simply ask an admin to check on the pilot in question and take actions if he really is that bad. (sucks if no staff is around when someone really is in need of a role-reselection but imho that's pretty tolerable)

Also, like Archon said, Repspecs don't always respond to you because they don't care or are too far away to repair you in a timely manner plus to use a repair vehicle one would have to crash the helicopter almost on the barriers because the limited range and the locked up vehicle access to the pads. (and simply blowing it up to let it respawn seriously endangers all the people in the vicinity and probably violates the "Do not fire in or at base unless your target is an enemy"-rule too)

Played around in the editor a bit and came up with this
2015-12-21_00001.jpg

(done in the 2.83I version of the mission, couldn't find 2.85B anywhere)

The helipads shouldn't lose that much space with the Offroad so landing should be no problem for the average pilot (space-wise at least)

100% agree with Tyberius here, many times I've seen broken helicopters abandoned in the heli pads because they can't be repaired by vehicles and repair specs very rarely do their job. Often the helis are damaged by enemy CAS or other people shooting in base, so giving priority for people on TS won't solve this. It's not fair to expect people to blow up the heli if it can't be repaired, as then they're breaking server rules and risk getting kicked.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be good if the repair vehicle inside the heli pads (whatever that vehicle may be), would only partially repair helicopters (like repaired by a repair spec). This way it would allow the helicopters to fly away, but would still require them to go to the normal repair pad to be fully repaired. 

I'm sure a bobcat would work some of the time, but the problem is that you're fucked if it doesn't work. Or if some numpty has decided to drive off to the AO with the bobcat...
Imagine that the cookie is the bobcat, the milk is the helicopter, and the glass is the helipads. Your solution only ends up with the cookie getting stuck in the glass and still too far away from the milk. Our (superior) solution is to have a glass with cookie already in it!

hqdefault.jpg

I think that the fuel truck should be replaced with a repair truck or repair off-road because really you don't need to refuel a helicopter much with the constant threat of enemy jets. It's likely that helicopters will be destroyed by the time they need fuel, even for the best of pilots. I personally never use the fuel truck and just see it as something else not to crash into. Sadly no cookies sorry :/

*cough*

why not replace the Fuel-Truck with a Bobcat that has fuel and ammo removed/blocked entry ...

*cough*

Once again the whisky-god strikes with pure,magical wisdom send via smartphone from his toilet-break!

TAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAA!

*no picture yet,to lazy to seach my 18,5 GB collection of pro ... pictures*

COULDNT RESIST !

a4b8069907c26debedb70b8e18b546ab.jpg

Edited by TheScar

Placed the Huron repair container in heli pads over the last couple of days when I've been online and the only problem I see with that is when something blows up on the pads the container gets destroyed and then you cant use it. Is there anyway that it wont take any damage?

Never seen a option in Zeus to do it, but in editor you can add code to an object and for it to don't take any damage you'd need to add "this allowDamage false;"

(maybe Ares has an option to add code to things?)

Edit: deleted the "equals"-charakter because confusing C# with Lua i think it is

I'll be a little necroing on purpose now, but this thing definitely needs more attention.

We need a repair offroad with same stats (undrivable, undestructible) as the helipad fuel truck.

Second thing, definitely remove the lamp on the side of the helipad, it is absolutely unrealistic to have lamp that close to a heli pad.

It is a common cause of crash-landings on the helipad.