First person lock vs Switchable view

Something that seems to have been implemented on EU#3 recently is a lock to first person view. I can understand why this appeals to many, but for me personally, it effectively prevents me from being able to enjoy playing. During any sort of movement, the motion of the camera just makes me feel nauseous, provokes a headache and general discomfort. ArmA is the only game where this occurs, and I've spent some time trying to find a solution, including FoV changes, motion blurring, and head-bob options. None of those has helped.

I've spoken to a lot of people about this, and I've received mixed reactions; some like the lock as it prevents third person peeking, some dislike it. Frankly, it's ruined the server for me. Although I'm relatively new to EU#3, I thoroughly enjoyed the time I played up until the first person lock. 

The main reason I'm so vehemently against the lock is that we have the option to switch between the two modes. If players wish to play in first person, they can. Allowing third person simply expands the audience, and hardly in a negative way. I'm not aware of anyone who takes deliberate advantage of third person peeking, but if it's an issue, I'm sure it can be reported to an admin and dealt with appropriately. If we were playing more PvP missions I could see why that'd be a problem, but on PvE it's hardly game breaking. There are more pressing matters to be dealt with than that, surely?

Please, if you have any reasons there should be a first person lock other than immersion, state them.

I personally believe first person mode is the best way to play arma 3, as it doesn't allow you to cheat and look around corners, where in reality you wouldn't be able to see anything. However it's probably best that the option remains in the hands of the players during normal Guantlett sessions. If it's gamenight then it should be the organisers decision end off. 

I believe there is 4 difficulty's but correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe it goes:

Recruit - Easy difficulty with switchable views.

Regular - Easy/Medium difficulty with first person only.

Veteran - Medium/hard difficulty with switchable views. (What we usually played on I believe)

Elite - Medium/hard difficulty with first person only.

Basically you get two types of the same difficulty but with the views being either restricted or free.

Recruit - Easy difficulty with switchable views.

Regular - Easy/Medium difficulty with first person only.

Veteran - Medium/hard difficulty with switchable views. (What we usually played on I believe)

Elite - Medium/hard difficulty with first person only.

This seems to be correct, but I've yet to knowingly test Veteran to see if it is. If this is correct, can't the server just be locked/defaulted to Veteran, rather than Regular, as it is now? the "#vote missions" permits a difficulty vote, but I believe most players aren't selecting the option when voting on the map.

Fraggloid - I sympathize.  There are some games I've played where I have gotten nauseous during playing, and others where I haven't.  I haven't nailed down the cause.  The thing that I am wondering is how playing in first person is different from playing in third person.  There's also a "head bob" slider under game options (General) that you can tailor to your liking.

I believe the issue occurs when you guys are voting for a new mission. Due to the server running its own difficutly settings, you shouldn`t be voting/selecting that, only which mission do you wanna play.

I'm not sure on this, it seems to be the same regardless of a vote or not.

Fraggloid - I sympathize.  There are some games I've played where I have gotten nauseous during playing, and others where I haven't.  I haven't nailed down the cause.  The thing that I am wondering is how playing in first person is different from playing in third person.  There's also a "head bob" slider under game options (General) that you can tailor to your liking.

The first thing I did when I played Arma 2 for the first time was disable that! 

Third person seems to just be a more comfortable viewpoint. There are more items on-screen for reference, and it's more like an overwatch camera view. I only tend to switch to first person when I'm aiming down the sights, so there's not an issue there for me. 

Arma is the only game where this has ever been an issue for me. I've played countless other first person games, including the infamous Mirror's Edge, and I've never experienced this before.

@PERO We have yet to try that. It changed while we tested something with @Christiansen. Previously we've voted for regular and it had 3rd person.

I like playing some games in 3rd person. And it feels great. Regarding ARMA3 I feel this game should be only first person. 3rd person kills the gameplay for me. Staying in 1st person you learn about your distances around you, you start to be more cautious. I don't know how to describe it. Every corner is your death path.

Me personally, I don't feel any discomfort playing in first person only. It gives me even more enjoyable experience which I've already get used to. The only problem my "alt" key is being pushed way too much. Watching corners feels more real to me. I can have 3rd person near Arsenal box to watch how beautifully I'll die in combat.

We even have gestures system, we are not using them at all. Because we don't pay attention to other players at all. We just keep our heads down and await for something to happen so we can witness it.

I feel we are are beginning to get soft in certain aspects.

I played in 2 different mill sim groups for a pretty long time. I know what your thinking :"This is no millsim! ".Im aware, but this is about gameplay experience.

The first unit I joined was a third person one. So, as someone coming from gameplay like eu3 this was fine. I quickly heard A LOT of people saying the stuff Plant1ng is saying. I disagreed since I honestly found it a bit annoying to turn you head all the time, and not being able to see the guys around you etc. But these guys were playing fp for the immersion.

When I joined the 2nd group(due to timezones) I learned they were f. P only. I thought about it and said to myself :"well, lets just try. After a week or so I felt like I could never go back.

The amount of focus on your individual part of thr group in-game grew immense due to being reliable on your team, aswell as you environment. Your specific role became more important, aswell as the equipment your carrying actually played a role more.

I can understand if you don't like f. P due to the different camera movement, there might be fixes for that idk. If you never tried playing a full game fp i suggest trying it out!

I think having 3rd person isnt a problem (even though I personally think 1st person is so much more enjoyable and immersive) as long as 3rd person isnt used and abused for things like peeking corners or calling out targets in vehicles as passengers where they would be no way on earth of spotting said target from the seat you are in. I think as long as people can promise to have the decency and respect to NOT peek corners or hills or abuse 3rd person in any way and ONLY use 3rd person for things like, as Fragg said, avoiding nausea, then I dont see to many problems in having it.

If abuse of 3rd person continues (as players can easily be seen abusing it on EU3) then I would suggest locking 1st person or making 3rd person abuse against the rules.

We need to fix the mission settings in Gauntlet so that 3rd person can be enabled in the Veteran+ difficulty levels; right now (I think) it's only enabled in Recruit, where the bad guys are given white glowy dots and good guys are given green glowy dots to help you find them.

Not that I particularly mind this on maps like Panthera where the bad guys can shoot with impunity through trees and grass, and it's impossible to find them.

-R