underwater side mission - Yay or Nay

TheScar

Question

• often to far out to grant helo support for insertion
  • mission needs min. 2 more boat spawn loactions on Altis
  • finding the UW installment can be very,very tedious and time intensive
  • view UW / UW combat is flawed
  • fighting encamped enemy divers that can easily shot you pass walls,while your Darts dont pass walls
  • appartment complex > watchtower > bunker
  • the SDAR ranging is srsly fubar
  • getting exfil is 90% luck
  • harbor by base needs min. 1 (respawning) transport vehicle for returning divers/seaman

Either the chance of spawning this mission needs to be srsly cut down,a timer is set on it (so the mission will fail after a certain amount of time with no players going for it has passed) or better remove it completly.

It breaks usual combat flow and working setups for the whole playerbase.

Discuss ...

11 answers to this question

All I've heard is that it is time consuming, stupidly difficult due to ninja AI diver vision, and somewhat buggy.

Also it spawns miles out at sea and makes it undesirable to bother with.

I'd say remove it (unless once the Jets DLC lands we can have the carrier as a persistent FOB with boats and the mission always spawns within say 200m of the carrier.)

Yeah, I agree with gamer bug. Currently the mission is a pain in the butt, the search area is too large, AI too good and having structures underwater doesn't go so well with ArmA physics. I also think that gamer bug did propose a good idea with the new Jets DLC. I think that employing the carrier as a permanent FOB is a good idea and have the underwater demolition mission spawn near by is also a great idea.

Yesterday as i started playing at 15.oo AO was by Molos,FOB Guardian was live and i cba to go for the public intifada, i witnessed side far out top left corner.

No chopper available for insertion,so boat it was.

38min quality boating time for 1 trip.

Ended the mission at around 21.30.

6 deaths and a shitload of wasted lifetime.

For a AM7 Marshall.

:huh:

By that time i´d rammed and destroyed any air reward if it had spawned any ...

Fun fact,none of the other 59 players even noticed the side mission spawning way out of the usual area of map zoom and just kept doing their buisness AO > arty > AO > arty > AO > rinse,repeat

So,conclusion:

Get rid of all side missions - I+A works obviously without spending time and work on any of this.

:rolleyes:

22 hours ago, GamerbugUK said:

(unless once the Jets DLC lands we can have the carrier as a persistent FOB with boats and the mission always spawns within say 200m of the carrier.)

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I also think that gamer bug did propose a good idea with the new Jets DLC. I think that employing the carrier as a permanent FOB is a good idea and have the underwater demolition mission spawn near by is also a great idea.

16 hours ago, fir_nev said:

Carrier idea is nice though...

For a start,i propose a closer fix than waiting for the (useless and cosmetic) jet DLC and a mission update regarding the Carrier FOB.

I´m also not a fan of BI´s way of selling/restricting content for a MPgame or/dividing the community once more (APEX anyone?).

Just a silly move to milk the cow even more.

My opinion.

Edited by TheScar
add´d content

Big Nay from me. Every time I played this mission it felt like a chore.

Arma 3 UW combat and interaction palette is very limited and was intended to expand possibilities of infil and exfil. Nothing more.

@TheScar 

Agree that some fix is needed now and not after some DLC releases. Even if this fix is to only remove this mission completely. Even though you suggest that I@A would work without side missions, I can't imagine that you mean it seriously. Side missions are quite enjoyable most of the time and judging by the amount of attention you donate to complete those I must deduce that you think the same.

Regarding carrier included in Jet DLC --> It is free for everybody.

Regarding BI DLC "features are free, content is paid" policy --> I am a big fan of how DLCs are handled for Arma 3. Name me an MP FPS game that handled expansion (not a DLC) in a way that not "fractured" community. Preferably PM as this is not on topic.

3 minutes ago, Cebi said:

@TheScar Regarding carrier included in Jet DLC --> It is free for everybody.

You beat me to it @Cebi

However this UW mission seems like a grind of all grinds, lets just scrap it.

(I still like the idea od an offshore FOB on the carrier though, though it may be a dumb idea it'd be soooo coolz B)).

3 hours ago, GamerbugUK said:

(I still like the idea od an offshore FOB on the carrier though, though it may be a dumb idea it'd be soooo coolz B)).

Name it FOB Under Siege or FOB Steven Seagull. :rolleyes: Put it in the top left corner of Altis. We will see what staff has to say about this side mission.

5 hours ago, Cebi said:

Even though you suggest that I@A would work without side missions, I can't imagine that you mean it seriously.

correct,110% sarcasm

5 hours ago, Cebi said:

Regarding carrier included in Jet DLC --> It is free for everybody.

i m aware of that ofc,but i m refering to the cheap solution of incoperating a DLC poorly back from A2 where they splitted the (already small) community with their DLCs and forced a massive headache to (custom) mission makers by that - partly similar to people cannot accessing a Prowler without having APEX bought

1 hour ago, fir_nev said:

Name it FOB Steven Seagull.

bwhaha - good one

1 hour ago, fir_nev said:

We will see what staff has to say about this side mission.

Mark told me they already did put a timer in on the mission,but seems to have slipped by update or the code just doesnt work that way they edited it.