Question about protocol (from a newbie)

Hi all. So, I finally managed to get on the AWE server and stay connected, which gives me hope that I will be able to play properly. I also managed to get the TFAR working properly with some great help from the guys in the lobby and in game (thanks all).

A quick question about protocol - when I joined the game I managed to get myself transported to the AO, and there I met with a bunch of guys who were in the thick of the fight. Now, one of them gave me a "join Bravo" instruction and then ran off shooting. So I followed for a little while but it was obvious I was in the wrong place.

I tuned my radio to the Bravo channel and said something stupid like "Bravo, new joiner looking to join squad.....", to which I got no answer.

So the question is - what's the correct protocol to join an in-progress game? What radio calls should I use? How do I know what squad to join?

Any help much appreciated.

JaSmAn

When you join the server you will see that it is split into separate squads, these are the fireteams and you should pay attention to the name of the squad as this is who you should stay with if in doubt It is best to locate the current squad leader and then they will assist you in finding your team.

Depending on the squad you join in the lobby, for example B1, that's who you should try to find on the battlefield. If you're unsure maybe wait for someone to respawn or join to help you find who you need. If you're on your own use the micro DAGR to find your fireteam. Radio procedure isn't a huge focus on AWE, unfortunately, however a simple 'Where is Bravo 1?' will do. You may have to repeat a couple of times as they may be in the middle of a firefight at the time, if you weren't hearing anything then probably incorrect radio channel.

Above all find someone who looks like they know what they're doing.

See you around on the battlefield.

[EDIT] Damn you Ghost

1 minute ago, Blue-958- said:

Radio procedure isn't a huge focus on AWE, unfortunately

It isn't because players don't make it so or don't care. I personally care a lot about radio protocol. But this discussion's for another time.

Thank you. Just one more thing to add. Alpha and Bravo squads were both full, so I took the Autorifleman position in Delta. I was the only Delta guy in there, hence why I wasn't sure who to join.

Thanks on the tip about the radio and DAGR.

Just now, Colsta said:

It isn't because players don't make it so or don't care. I personally care a lot about radio protocol. But this discussion's for another time.

I think this adds so much to the game.

1 minute ago, JaSmAn said:

Thank you. Just one more thing to add. Alpha and Bravo squads were both full, so I took the Autorifleman position in Delta. I was the only Delta guy in there, hence why I wasn't sure who to join.

Thanks on the tip about the radio and DAGR.

If Alpha and Bravo are full, take a slot in Charlie. Alternatively ask a team leader, squad leader or platoon commander what slot they'd want you in.

2 minutes ago, Colsta said:

If Alpha and Bravo are full, take a slot in Charlie. Alternatively ask a team leader, squad leader or platoon commander what slot they'd want you in.

Thanks Colsta, is there a way to communicate with the squad from the profile selection screen before entering the game?

@JaSmAn

Ideally you use the radio to contact your squad. Normal radios are usually too short for this purpose if you're at base and your team's in the field. As such you can try using your in game tablet if it's a model with messaging capabilities.

Last case scenario, use the in game group chat, but only as a last resort, when you can't contact them in any other way or can't get anyone else to contact them from base.

Your radio will usually be in the right frequency from the get-go, so you don't really need to fiddle with it. Once in the AO, you should be able to use it to find your squad.

As a side note, we held a basic training night the other day which would have been perfect for you. More of these will be held in the future, stay tuned for them.

1 hour ago, Colsta said:

@JaSmAn

Ideally you use the radio to contact your squad. Normal radios are usually too short for this purpose if you're at base and your team's in the field. As such you can try using your in game tablet if it's a model with messaging capabilities.

Last case scenario, use the in game group chat, but only as a last resort, when you can't contact them in any other way or can't get anyone else to contact them from base.

Your radio will usually be in the right frequency from the get-go, so you don't really need to fiddle with it. Once in the AO, you should be able to use it to find your squad.

As a side note, we held a basic training night the other day which would have been perfect for you. More of these will be held in the future, stay tuned for them.

THanks. I tried to join, but had all manner of connection issues - constantly got the "Session Lost" message when trying to join. Got some help from the guys, but no luck. I look forward to future ones!

BTW, my username used to be S4. Had to change it as that was linked to my son's Steam account!

A couple of things:

is there a way to communicate with the squad from the profile selection screen before entering the game?

Not within arma: your best bet would be to use teamspeak's chat system to coordinate if you're really unsure who / where you should join.  When the server has lower numbers, we want people to fill up Alpha before going into specialized squads like MAT / HAT / MMG, but it sounds like you weren't in that situation.  As a new player, it's tough when you just want to run as a rifleman and they're all filled up.  In that situation I recommend joining the next available rifleman slot (in the case you're describing, a Charlie-1 rifleman) and then reach out to the first team lead you see in-game.

Radios are synchronized to our standard channels when you join, so you can switch yourself to Alpha's net (channel 2, frequency 50) or Bravo's net (channel 3, frequency 51) and go from there.  Keep in mind personal radios are limited in range, so that could be why you weren't getting an immediate response.

one of them gave me a "join Bravo" instruction and then ran off shooting.

Ok, that's definitely tough for a new player to interpret, because it could mean a variety of things.  In the heat of the moment, my guess is that he wanted you to follow Bravo on their orders and provide them support.  But it could also mean a few other things:

1) Use the ACE Interact menu to "Join" a Bravo fire team.  We generally frown on this because it can cause confusion for players joining from the lobby: you are still in the lobby role, but in game you're in a new squad.  However outside of Alpha, Platoon Command and the specialized squads, it's probably not a huge deal, and would have really helped you in this circumstance as you would have seen other players on your cTab, and on the shackTac HUD.

2) Join Bravo's radio channel, and coordinate with them about where to go.  Not super helpful, from your example.

The other thing that wasn't helping you is that if you joined as a regular rifleman, you are only equipped by default with a MicroDagr cTab (default keybind is "H" to bring that up) which will show you your position on the map, and the position of the other members of your group. An android and a full cTab will show you every other player, so if you're alone in your squad, them telling you to just "join Bravo" isn't super helpful because, as a grunt member of Charlie, you won't even be able to find them on your cTab.

In that circumstance, especially as a new player, the most productive thing you can do is just follow another player who looks like they know what they're doing.  Make sure that you're familiar with the rules of our server (https://forums.ahoyworld.net/topic/7678-ahoyworld-enhanced-rules-and-guidelines/) as we have certain standards we want to have followed, like following the chain of command, not over-using the radio channels, and taking inappropriate gear.

All in all, I hope it was an enjoyable experience for you, despite your difficulties.  Something else you can do if you're truly lost is to poke a moderator or admin on Teamspeak, and they can help you figure out how best to integrate in the game.

- Ryko

If you need help, look for anyone who is a ADMIN, MODERATOR or FIELDAMBASSADOR and VETERANS. They have tags on TS. Poke on of them in the TFAR channel, or if they are in the staging channel, if that doesn't work poke one on another channel and ask for help. If we can't get to you immediately at least staff will be notified via other channels that you're new and need some help.

There's plenty of people who are willing to help you, don't worry!

Tbh, anyone with a tag should be sufficient to help you if they want. Sure, you probably get a more all-round treatment from the Mods/admins/etc, that specialize in that and I would always go to them with technical issues,  but for these kind of IG questions you should find loads of people to help out. As said above, just poke them in TS and see who responds.

For AWE especially, there are people with a "dog tag" tag in TS, which marks them as AWE Veterans. They should be able to answer 99% of your AWE questions.  

If you manage to get in a squad, talked to your Team Leader and maybe tell him you're new, at least for your first 3-4 Ops. According to my experience, we have quite a few newbie-friendly Team Leads online on a daily basis. It's just important they KNOW so they can look out for you. If they don't know, they will just assume you know what you're doing.