First go on EU #3

JJ Cakes

I joined 3 other players and Ivory (thanks!) showed me the ropes.  The mission was to destroy a downed UAV and there were 4 enemy squads patrolling the area and some armor.  Much different play style from the vanilla servers, we broke off when engaged several times when we were in poor cover and/or too many squads were alerted.  I don't think I fired my weapon for about the first 30 minutes while we maneuvered around.

Best part was when an enemy squad stumbled onto us around around 100M away and I had a full belt of machine gun ammo ready to go.  Get some!

The helpfulness of the players on that server isn't overblown, everyone went out of their way to help this utter noob.  There is a bit of a learning curve for TFAR and ACE, but it's not that bad.

All in all, I really like it.  Like I said, the play style is different, much more careful, much more deliberate with actual teamwork going on.  I also like the chaos of the vanilla servers, but if anyone is looking for a change of pace EU #3 is worth giving a go.  Gauntlet will feel familiar to I&A, no huge surprises there and of course there's new gear to play with.

Welcome to eu3 (awe). I'm glad to hear that you were taken beneath the wings of the regulars. I expect no less :). Enjoy your stay

Sent from my iPhone using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

Great to hear you enjoyed your first time on AhoyWorld Enhanced! Make sure to drop by when there are Zeus  missions on the go, or even a gamenight. They add totally different dynamics. 

Anyways, great to see you around these parts!

Regards,

Copey

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 7:07 PM, JJ Cakes said:

Did another mission Saturday night, this time capturing a truck on the Fallujah map.  More helpful players and digging the variety of maps an missions over on AWE.

@JJ Cakes I'm hoping to join my first EU3 very soon (as soon as the mods cooperate with my setup!) and I was wondering if you could suggest the top 3 mods I should research (by watching YouTube videos) before I join? I think the obvious ones are ACE and TFAR, but are there any others? Many thanks!

Make sure you know:

1) How to use ACE Interact and Self-interact.

2) Your Keybinds for TFAR radio interaction, for transmitting on shortwave radio (radio nr. 1) and direct speech.

3) How to open and use the information on your MicroDAGR cTAB.

If you've got these three things down, you will be able to handle Rifleman and Assistant, and more advanced functions will be easier to guide you through.

Keep in mind, keybinds can be changed, but always be mindful of the fact that almost all keys are already in use for something or other, so always check for conflicts, especially with existing defaults from other mods. Many keybinds aren't all that important and can be unbound without consequence.

Keybinds for Mods are in their own submenu in the Controls section.

4 minutes ago, Amentes said:

Make sure you know:

1) How to use ACE Interact and Self-interact.

2) Your Keybinds for TFAR radio interaction, for transmitting on shortwave radio (radio nr. 1) and direct speech.

3) How to open and use the information on your MicroDAGR cTAB.

If you've got these three things down, you will be able to handle Rifleman and Assistant, and more advanced functions will be easier to guide you through.

Keep in mind, keybinds can be changed, but always be mindful of the fact that almost all keys are already in use for something or other, so always check for conflicts, especially with existing defaults from other mods. Many keybinds aren't all that important and can be unbound without consequence.

Keybinds for Mods are in their own submenu in the Controls section.

Thanks for the great advice!

10 hours ago, s4 said:

@JJ Cakes I'm hoping to join my first EU3 very soon (as soon as the mods cooperate with my setup!) and I was wondering if you could suggest the top 3 mods I should research (by watching YouTube videos) before I join? I think the obvious ones are ACE and TFAR, but are there any others? Many thanks!

I think those are probably the top 2, but there's so much to learn and I'm still pretty low on the learning curve.  Maybe someone with a bit more experience can chime in.

30 minutes ago, JJ Cakes said:

I think those are probably the top 2, but there's so much to learn and I'm still pretty low on the learning curve.  Maybe someone with a bit more experience can chime in.

@Amentes has got it bang on, look up those three mods, the rest, such as weaponry and roles, can be explained in game if you ask someone for a hand. Good luck and see you around!

On 1/30/2017 at 3:27 AM, s4 said:

Had my first go as a marksman on AWE and that's something you might want to try out as it's quite a bit different than the vanilla servers.

First of all get a Vector 21 or Kestrel 4500 rangefinder, the former preferred.  Holding down {R} and releasing it gives you range.  {TAB} gives you bearing.

You need to make sure you have a range card (https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/rangecard.html) which will give you bullet drops at different ranges.  Then you adjust your scope for the bullet drop while not zoomed in. Here's the scope page: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/scopes.html

First time trying this it took me forever, by the time I was dialed in the enemy had already f**ked off to the pub. 

Big thanks to Slurk, he's been patiently tolerating my incompetence on AWE.

Marksman protip: Pick one or two guns, and stick with them. Print out your range cards and tape them to the side of your screen.

For ranges under 5-600 meters, try to memorize your dials.

There are several practice ranges available through the Workshop which you can use to practice.