OPERATION ALIBI - Chapter 2 - AW Enhanced game night CAMPAIGN - Friday Sep 30, 1900 GMT

Ryko

Just an appeal to people.

If you see someone crashing - or even if you don't, don't take their slot and force them to play somewhere else.

In a mission with no respawns, if you see a free slot in the main force, ask if you can take a slot beforehand.

6 minutes ago, kman said:

30 minutes waiting for server start&latecomers

Welcome to EU3 game nights

45 minutes connecting & dress-up to scavenge some mis-matched OPFOR leftover gear

This is part of the point of this campaign

15 minutes driving truck throu the woods

15 minutes coming close to the objective

This isn't Gauntlet, where it takes you 5 minutes to fly to the objective

The moment we enter the village, walking with 2 teammates in front of me and 2 behind me - bang bang, instakill from god knows where.

And this is Arma, unfortunately.

spectator mode bugs after 30 seconds and no longer works with nighvision (only pitch black is seen)

First time I've heard of this bug, and I'll look into it.

If I can plead for some changes with Ryko:

• Please spawn players with pre-loaded gear.

I'd love to, but there's no practical way to make this happen when part of the point of this campaign is to manage supplies between operations.

Please don't wait for players who are not online in time, or did not downloaded their MODS in advance. Give the slots to replacements right away.

We'll try and speed up slot assignment next time, but as you can imagine, it's not easy.

I'd like to re-iterate that this operation is meant to be slower-paced, more considered, ie., nothing like what Gauntlet has turned into.

- R

11 minutes ago, kman said:

30 minutes waiting for server start&latecomers

45 minutes connecting & dress-up to scavenge some mis-matched OPFOR leftover gear

15 minutes driving truck throu the woods

15 minutes coming close to the objective

This is the biggest issue, and not only in gamenights, but in EU3 in general - too much wasted time. It could be from technical issues, mission setting, mission planning, movement, etc.

Another issue is that the obective was way too easy. So all that time we wasted earlier wasn't rewarded by an interesting mission/objective/firefight either. We had ~20players assaulting a town with <20ai: I was part of Bravo (Recon) and I only saw 2 static AI on top of a roof, 2 AI patrolling and a couple of manned vehicles. There probably were some extra AI that I didn't see, but not many. That town could've been cleared with a single fireteam, especially considering it was night time, we had NVGs and AI didn't; hell, at that point it could've been cleared by a single man if he knew what he was doing.

But at least this time we had decent-good FPS, so that's an improvement...

Other than that I believe this was enjoyable op from bot sides. I heard that the Blufor had an Amazing time with their stealth gameplay and overall it was 10/10. On the Independent side, I enjoy the occasional action along with the engagement as we did not have night vision so it was very tense. We had to rely on other means of spotting enemies using flairs etc! Plz allow us to stuff their ears with jungle leaves b/c shot hurt our ears. Overall I would like to thank @Ryko for not forgetting about us and occasionally giving us something to do 10/10.  

40 minutes ago, Arkod said:

Another issue is that the obective was way too easy.

It's up to Skull and the team leaders to decide what objectives will be tackled and how.  When I designed the op I gave him five objectives.  Each team could have taken one, but then, each team might have gotten decimated.  Balancing scenarios so that it's both exciting for the players and not too overwhelming is extremely difficult in ArmA.  From what I saw, more people died due to friendly fire, ArmA physics, and accidents than from enemy fire, though that did happen.

I'll admit that I kind of expected there to be two objectives tackled at the same time, but that's not my call.

32 minutes ago, kman said:

On the topic of objective being too fast completed

- that is exactly where more faster start would help, because we would be able to do (have time for) 2 objectives in one night instead of just one.

10 hours ago, Amentes said:

During the post-mission talk, we discussed methods of trying to alleviate the gearing-up issue. It should be less of a hassle next op.

;)

For the next op I'll be providing an inventory list ahead of time so Lone (in conjunction with Intel sergeants?) will be able to create squad specific crates so that the last-served don't get shafted.

I'm also investigating a script which supports state saving, which would be the ideal solution.

1 hour ago, Colsta said:

Wouldn't Alive be a better option there, @Ryko?

I would love to see ALiVE used here as well, but unfortunately persistence across server restarts requires all players to register on the War Room. Sure, everyone could just dump all their stuff in a crate again, but then we're back at where we are.

Additionally, I'm not sure if the module plays well with swapped slots. I've had players in different slots than before just load the profile from the previous occupant, but I didn't pay much attention to that and ended up forcing slots -- not ideal here.

If you can find a realistic way to coerce gently convince everyone to sign up for the War Room, please.

Considering Lone has volunteered to do the dirty work of actually doling out the available gear, I'd say that's a better option than saving the inventory if each soldier.

Reasoning being, some squads will expend more consumables than others, so in the end some sort of sharing would have to be happening anyway.

Moreover, depending on the tasks given to different teams, gear such as explosives, suppressors, special purpose weaponry etc. is gonna have to be moved around as needed.

And I'm still willing to help Lone in any way I can.

Or, you know, the TL would just go, "Hey, we shot a helluva lot yesterday, can some of you boys who didn't shoot as much spare some ammo over here?"

Point being, this is what's gonna happen anyway. Ammo can be shared between people, but again, then we're back into having to actually do that prior to moving out. Which is exactly what people want to avoid.

For the curious, this is the code I'll be experimenting with:

https://github.com/tawsidthesloth/mission-persistence-framework

In the ideal scenario, each role will save its position and gear, and ammo boxes will have their gear saved as well. This would also allow that players who disconnect could rejoin in the same state.

For spectator mode, my intention would be that if you die, you get pushed to spectator mode, with the capacity to move you out of spectator mode if you died due to arma physics or whatnot. Also if we can do more than one op and you're still around.

Finally I am going to try the dynamic that if you die you can result as independent to provide reinforcement to resistance scenarios.

- R

spectator mode bugs after 30 seconds and no longer works with nighvision (only pitch black is seen)

This works fine for me. There are four vision modes in spectator: normal, nightvision, white-hot thermal and black-hot thermal. Is it possible that you switched to thermal and thought it was pitch black?

On 1/10/2016 at 2:31 PM, Ryko said:

For the next op I'll be providing an inventory list ahead of time so Lone (in conjunction with Intel sergeants?) will be able to create squad specific crates so that the last-served don't get shafted.

I'm gonna suggest that the crates be embellished a little bit, actually.

Way I see it, we were all supposed to put our gear in there, which means there should have been a weapon for each person. Turns out there wasn't. I think it'd be reasonable to add a few M4s in there so that we don't get that situation again.