Ahoyworld Enhanced - Gauntlet 48 status update

Hi folks,

Obviously, recent events on the ahoyworld website have thrown a bit of a wrench in our plans to update the Enhanced (EU3) server.  Rest assured there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes and that the next iteration of Gauntlet is on the way, and we're really excited about what it has to offer.

Here are some highlights:

1) N'Ziwasogo - you might have a hard time pronouncing it, but this new map will be a hoot to play on.  I've started calling it "the poor man's Tanoa", but it captures the lush jungle environment in a more forgiving way than Tanoa - that is to say, you'll probably have a better chance of spotting the African Militia (the default OPFOR faction) because the map isn't quite as crowded with jungle clutter as Tanoa.

2) cTab - we're implementing the Commander's Tablet MOD in Enhanced, to remove a bit of the "magic map" feeling in Arma.  cTab is great for real-time troop reports, BLUFOR tracking, and much more (including helmet cam video and even sending text messages). By implementing it, we're going to restrict the usage of the general map: Map markers and drawings are automatically removed when you're outside of base, but the mission commander can save the markers before the mission begins, allowing for useful planning tools.

3) Mod changes - a few mods have been removed because they produced errors, weren't kept up to date with Apex, or weren't being used regularly.  Specifically: Clafghan, ALiVE, DAC, the LAV25 Stryker, SMA and the TF47 launchers.  A few mods have also been updated recently, and we'll be keeping up to date with them: Leight's OPFOR is replaced with Project OPFOR, we're upgrading to ACRE 2.2, and the F/A-18 has a new version.  We know some people will really miss some of the great optics available in SMA, so we've implemented the much slimmer FHQ weapon accessories mod which fills this gap and also adds a great deal of awesome optics.

4) Gauntlet updates:

4A) the player roster function has been completely redesigned: it's no longer just a hint, but its own separate dialogue.

4B) quick saving & quick loading: after you've created a loadout, you can save it in the arsenal, but you can also quick save it in Gauntlet for the duration of the mission. When you respawn, you'll automatically load that gear provided you're in the same slot. Also, you can refresh your ammo with the saved loadout by just selecting the option from ACE when you're near the arsenal.

4C) ASR AI3 and VCOM AI Driving will both be implemented on the server, promising to give a fresh take on how the AI respond to players.

4D) A brand new mission will be introduced with Gauntlet 48, and a few of the missions have been overhauled for better performance and error fixes.

4E) The respawn system uses menuPosition, which works with the FOB vehicle (you can select where you want to spawn).

4F) Beneath the hood, Gauntlet uses a new system to include a single set of files which will make updating the arsenal and MOD/Zeus access very simple, making maintaining the Gauntlet mission much, much easier.

4G) The arsenal has been updated to include APEX gear and weaponry that fit our environment.

4H) There's a new garbage can in base for the OCD types that need to keep the base clean, or you can use a function on the "Keep Calm and Play your Role" sign that clears up the base.

When the Enhanced server is updated to Gauntlet 48 and the required modset, we'll be running N'Ziwasogo for a day or two to make sure all the changes are solid, and then I'll roll out the code to the rest of the maps.  We'll probably schedule a game night for the grand unveiling!

Comments, questions, concerns, post 'em here.

Please do not use this thread to request new Maps, MODs or Features! There is a new area being worked on specifically for that, so hang on for a little bit longer please! 

However, still use this thread to discuss any changes that have been made in version 48, including new MODs, Maps and Features that have already been added or removed i this update.

- Ryko

Edited by Copey
Addition of no mod/map requesting

With specific regard to the Acre 2.2 update, issues resulting from the use of named channels should now all be fixed. This means that channels can be named for the radios, and is something mission makers can now make use of for gamenights. In addition there should be significantly less issues and instability with Acre, please let us know if this is what you are experiencing yourselves in game.

To echo what Ryko has said above, with the problems AhoyWorld has faced of late development and work hasn't stopped with regard to Gauntlet. We have been busy testing new features throughout. These are just highlights of what you can expect to see in version 48, so keep your eyes peeled for the update coming soon!

3) We know some people will really miss some of the great optics available in SMA, so we've implemented the much slimmer FHQ weapon accessories mod which fills this gap and also adds a great deal of awesome optics.

The glorious Spitfire cannot be replaced, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

4C) ASR AI3 and VCOM AI Driving will both be implemented on the server

This. This is just so much this.

I will go ahead and recommend looking into Pooter's Enhanced ASR if the version you have isn't that one. It will have the AI look for cover properly instead of just dispersing, and once they feel comfortable to do so, will rally and launch a counter-attack on the enemy's last known position. Which is scary. Really scary.

As for cTab, is that the follow-up of what we tried to emulate by restricting chat channels? I personally loved the top-down relaying of only team-relevant markers, but I can also remember a few people being unhappy with the time it took to do so, and the confusion it caused for non-leaders when their TL assumed everyone saw them. Could we get a broken-down version of what this will mean for each step in the hierarchy?

Loving the changes, great calls on pretty much everything here. Cheers.

I love the edition of your "poor mans tanoa" because it seems to fix a lot of the problems with tanoa mainly that everyone doesn't have it and the AI are gods; however, I think the addition of a snow map would also be a great idea. There is a good group of people from eastern and northern EU that I think would like to see there frozen forest represented some way and it would also be a great change from the heat of Fallujah. A great map for this would be http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21837 . It would be different from winter cherno which we never really play by the obvious fact that it isn't cherno. A mod to complement this is the Swedish special forces mod that was recently updated and has great options for the snow, interesting weapons, and vehicles. I think it would be great and thought here was a good place to post but if people respond positively I can make a more detailed secondary post. 

20160828094802_1.jpg

I will go ahead and recommend looking into Pooter's Enhanced ASR if the version you have isn't that one.

It isn't. I'll take a look at it, but my concern is that adding too much load on the server will negatively impact server performance.  Baby steps, here: if we like what we're seeing with ASR AI3, we'll do a trial with Pooter's.

As for cTab, is that the follow-up of what we tried to emulate by restricting chat channels? I personally loved the top-down relaying of only team-relevant markers, but I can also remember a few people being unhappy with the time it took to do so, and the confusion it caused for non-leaders when their TL assumed everyone saw them. Could we get a broken-down version of what this will mean for each step in the hierarchy?

There are three versions of the cTab device: the rugged tablet, the C300 Android device, and the cTab micro Dagr.  The Rugged Tablet has all the bells and whistles: the map interface, ability to add cTab markers, UAV interface, helmet cam interface, text messages.  The C300 is a scaled-down version of the Rugged Tablet: it does everything the Tablet can do, but you lose the UAV and helmet cam functions.  The cTab micro Dagr is a passive device, meaning you can use it for map view and seeing placed markers, but you can't place markers.

Our thinking is that all units have default access to the micro Dagr and helmet cam items in the virtual arsenal. Squad and Team Leaders, as well as medics (so they can coordinate casualty reports) and automatic riflemen (because they are 2IC after the team leader), will have access to the C300.  YES it can be slightly confusing as ACE has its own micro Dagr, and the two systems do not speak to each other (markers placed in cTab don't show up on the vanilla map or ACE microDagr) but you can actually have both open at the same time, if you don't value your screen real estate.  Taking any cTab device also gives you the vanilla GPS, if that's important to you.

I understand what you mean about the team-relevant markers, but you also state correctly that there is confusion about who can see what marker.  I think the best solution is to take advantage of cTab's global capacity for markers.  When you place a marker in cTab, everyone sees it.  There will be some adjustment as people look to the vanilla map expecting to see markers and not seeing them.  Also that placed markers will be removed outside of base.  But ultimately I think this will create a better, more realistic environment, and we'll tailor it as we learn how it works in practice.

In practice the way things "should" work is that ASL or PC, in developing a plan, will drop plan-specific markers on the map as usual, and then before leaving base, there is a specific ACE self-interaction item that allows the commander to save map markers: these markers are now unaffected by the script which removes all user-placed map markers.  This script is client-side, so it won't affect server performance, and it only operates when you're outside the base zone, so if you need to draw penises and happy faces you can do it to your heart's content until the mission begins.

@Inzaindabridge thanks for the suggestion, but here are my problems with Schwemlitz: it's a 5km x 5km map, which is generally a bit small for Gauntlet (we aim for 10x10 as a good size).  As well, the map requires mikebart's Vegetation, MBG Buildings 3 - European Theatre, and Thirsk Island, and we're looking for maps which either have no dependencies or use CUP Terrains.  The last problem with a snow-based map is we'd need an OPFOR faction which has snow uniforms, and there currently aren't any with what we use.

True but that was just my quick look and favorite snow map I'll look for something later that is more towards those parameters. I just feel like it would fit the player base well and would be a fun change up. 

Also I feel the Russians in general woodland camo would fit well in a winter setting. 

Ben 

Please do not use this thread to request new Maps, MODs or Features! There is a new area being worked on specifically for that, so hang on for a little bit longer please!

However, still use this thread to discuss any changes that have been made in version 48, including new MODs, Maps and Features that have already been added or removed i this update.

3) We know some people will really miss some of the great optics available in SMA, so we've implemented the much slimmer FHQ weapon accessories mod which fills this gap and also adds a great deal of awesome optics.

--------------------------------------------

Greetings guys, 

Please take into consideration, in following updates, the importance of SMA if bugs can be fixed. Can't live without the Scar-H :)

@Arkod - can you indicate which gun & attachments you were trying to use?

I was able to replicate it on my end, and have created a fix for the next version.

Also, next version will completely overhaul how OPFOR spawn, as well as the numbers (by default there should be less armor spawning).

Default Kits will also have the appropriate cTab items.

N'Ziwasogo version 48B is now on the server. Fixes:
1) Added an ability for the commander to pause map marker deletion for 2 minutes (ACE self-interaction menu) so that new markers can be placed outside of base.
2) Completely overhauled mission and OPFOR placement. Should be much more reliable now. Unfortunately in N'Ziwasogo the pathing is not great, so vehicles have a really hard time getting around if their waypoints aren't near roads.
3) Default kits now spawn with cTab items.
4) Arsenal (when it's updated on the server) has minor fixes related to scopes available to non-marksmen.
5) Quicksaving/quickloading now properly loads weapon attachments.
6) Chopper crew rescue mission changed to intel recovery mission. The intel is loaded in the chopper as cargo and it must be returned to the command hut. The chopper doesn't need to be destroyed.

Regarding problems with ACRE: there's not much I can do with an error report that is essentially "my radio doesn't work."  We need to know the circumstances that led up to it.  For example:

1) did it never work, from when you connected to the server?  Were you there before the mission started, or did you join in progress?

2) did you produce an acre error message?

3) were you using a saved loadout that had an acre radio saved in it?

4) which radios aren't working - all of them, or just one?

5) are you sure that it isn't a matter of terrain interception or distance? (obviously, not being able to talk to your buddy in base is not a terrain interception error)

Thanks.

-R

@ryko

First a big thank you for the continuous work on gauntlet. 

As for the radios I can give a little input from Monday evening(48A) :

1. First mission I joined in progress. Second mission was fresh after the server crashed. 

2. No acre error messages. Neighter in game nor in TS. I used armasync for the update. 

3. I used a saved loadout, ditched the radio and got a new one from the arsenal. 

4. I can only speak for the 343.

5. We did a radio check in base and it worked fine. Outside of base we sticked together. Maybe the huts and buildings in n'ziwa are filled with nuclear fuel rods ;)

My observation was that the radios stopped working at one point, then working again for a few people, then bug out again. 

I don't see any pattern in when it works / stopps working. 

No reason. I'm not always up to date with the new variants RHS (or other MODs) adds to the game.

Happily, our new system allows us to add stuff to the arsenal without pushing out a new version of the mission, so expect it tomorrow!

- R

For the benefit of future readers, several posts regarding a MOD request have been hidden. This is to keep the thread on topic.

If you wish to continue discussing this topic further without making a MOD request please do so in your own thread within the EU3 AWE sub-forum.

If you would like to request a mod then please:

6 hours ago, Colsta said:

@Tutvys

If it says not to post requests, don't.

We have had Chernarus winter during the winter holidays.

For mod requests, use the appropriate sub-forum, found here. Be sure to read the how to.

Thanks for your cooperation.