Consolidating infantry squads?

Consolidating Alpha/Bravo/Charlie infantry squads  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Consolidate squad?

• Yes - turn infantry squad into single 10-man unit
    • No - leave infantry squads as is

(such as merging all alpha into one squad and letting the sl split the teams up) 

This works because the SL is one ftl

See, this is what I dislike about that idea. If I'm playing as a squad leader I want to play as a squad leader. If I wanted to be in the thick of the action while leading I'd play FTL.

Sent from my glorious Android.

36 minutes ago, Ghostdragon said:

me too, personally i would be up for testing this and other solutions (such as merging all alpha into one squad and letting the sl split the teams up) 

This works because the SL is one ftl and takes one team and the other is a second in command and takes the other. This works well because the 2ic can have a lr radio too and can hear communications that the sl might miss, meaning his fireteam can react and update the ic when he is in a position to listen (e.g firefight ends) this also means that if someone wants to lead a squad then they can go into a 2 ic role and have access to the long range comms and learn from the way that the more experienced ic works.

However this does not always work but i would be up for helping trial any changes that are proposed :) 

"Merging everyone in to one squad" Didn't workout and that is why we have the current system.

I don't exactly understand how long range radios are relevant to this reformation of squads.

Frankly don't exactly understand what you are trying to say with this easing to becoming SL.

Just to be sure. Fireteam leaders are NOT to react to orders given by platoon command, unless there is

special circumstances like dead squad leader, but rather relay information to SL if he had missed them.

It's squad leaders job to coordinate the fireteams so entire squad can operate in sync (Chain of command).

Keep in mind, fireteam leader and squad leader are two different things with different jobs. Despite their similarities.

I can make an example out of myself. I used to play as SL and Co back in the day. One of the reasons that I pick the rifleman slot these days, other than less playtime/the possibility to suddenly go afk cuz of children as such is this: something changes in the playerbase/behavior. I have no interest to try and making shit happend as a SL when the members are dicking around to much and wasting mine and everyone's times. By now i learned when to not go SL by knowing certain names and their general behavior. As a rifleman I go the the arsenal and get ready in 2 minutes, then I'll tie up some flies for the next day's fishing and board the heli when The poor SL finally gotten his troops in order... But again, it's not always like that ofc.

Sent from my iPhone using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

I would just also like to mention that personally i feel that the server should not change for new players. I feel the new players should adapt to EU3 or realize that it is not for them. 

When i joined this community (a while ago now) i was still relatively new to arma but i had played a little of modded and wanted to play more. I was willing to listen to the more experienced players and take pointers and learn from them before taking a leadership role, the issue we have is the new players do not seem to want to learn and mess around too much for the experienced players to be bothered keeping them in line for a semi decent op.

6 hours ago, JuX said:

Just to be sure. Fireteam leaders are NOT to react to orders given by platoon command, unless there is

special circumstances like dead squad leader, but rather relay information to SL if he had missed them.

It's squad leaders job to coordinate the fireteams so entire squad can operate in sync (Chain of command).

Keep in mind, fireteam leader and squad leader are two different things with different jobs. Despite their similarities.

As it stands, the main problem with the ASL slot is that, most of the time, he ends up juggling more than he should be. I believe we've had up to 36 players in a Gauntlet gamenight, which enables us to fully staff both Alpha and Bravo, as well as a few Support teams, while still retaining a PlatCo structure, and in those instances, being ASL really isn't that much more responsibility than being FTL, in my opinion.

Problems arise during the regular evening sessions when we usually see far less people around. This leads to a situation in which we have no or so little Bravo that a BSL isn't present, much less a PlatCo, meaning the ASL position has to shoulder the entire load of leading his own team, while also juggling the supports and pilots, as well as controlling the plan of action. 

Ideally, the ASL >>SHOULD<< be in the thick of it, shooting at things. It's just that it isn't practical outside of scheduled high-attendance events.

But yes, the present situation as ASL is daunting; and I don't believe it will get markedly less daunting in the near future.

As for things that might relieve the stress on ASL, a few points comes to mind.

As an FTL, you can alleviate a bit of the in-base pressure off of the ASL by helping him ensure that your guys get appropriately kitted out.

This involves ensuring that people are wearing their helmets, and that newcomers aren't lugging around a Carryall's worth of 5.56 and explosives. You can do radio checks with your guys, and you can even get them to form up in a line, or sit them down in a horseshoe if that takes your fancy.

As any role, you can be mindful of your voice volume, and when ASL, pilots and possibly the FTLs are huddling up to formulate a plan of attack, you can leave them alone. If you're in a position to be IN said huddle, try to avoid swarming the ASL with comments. This most especially for new people in the job, can turn into a relentless flood of interruptions. Let ASL speak his mind, and then try to accommodate his original plan in your suggested changes. If he wanted an LZ in a bad place, but the rest of the plan is decent, suggest a new LZ in a decent position to accommodate the remainder of his plan. If you interject with your own suggestions too soon, you will end up making the entirety of the plan yourself, and that is to be avoided.

Wall of text ranty-style.

Very much agreeing with Amentes here, when it comes to ASL's load it is considerably higher on an average night acting as the commander of all forces. However I don't think that this is something needing a change, what I think it needs is to have FTL's stepping up to the mark. I'm guilty of before now asking someone who isn't a team lead, to team lead. I know when I go into a SL role, I need to have 2 people able to drive their teams forward on their own with me just giving a basic plan. It's important people are able to set their own tempo, however I have no issues dragging them forward - which has to happen sometimes, often I find new people to the server are not used to this style of leadership and struggle not being babysat, for lack of a better word. (Side note: micromanaging SL's definitely ain't the way to make this better though, in most instances a SL who can devolve responsibility is always going to be more effective than one that doesn't.)

I think consolidating may be a  good thing, and it may be a bad thing, it is very dependant on situations and the people in that situation, and there won't be a clear cut this is better or this is worse. 

14 hours ago, Amentes said:

Ideally, the ASL >>SHOULD<< be in the thick of it, shooting at things. It's just that it isn't practical outside of scheduled high-attendance events.

Squad leaders should often tag along with one of the fireteams and fight along side them.

His independence allows him to be flexible in doing his tasks as well join in the fight.

14 hours ago, Amentes said:

As an FTL, you can alleviate a bit of the in-base pressure off of the ASL by helping him ensure that your guys get appropriately kitted out.

This is the responsibility of the fireteam leader. They are under his direct command and supervision.

It is sadly true that it's often the squad leader, is the one forced to interject with fireteam issues.