EU3 Game Night - "Soviet Intervention" - Friday 20:00 GMT

Tylermaniac

When: Friday, March 25, 20:00 GMT (16:00 EST) ~~ We Will start on time this time

Server Opens 15 minutes before

Mods: Standard EU3 (including ALIVE)

Player Count: 30

Mission Length: ~2-3 Hours (JIP allowed)

Mission will be locked to first-person only

Summary:

Following the 1979 invasion of Afghanistan, the Soviets are at it again; this time with Takistan. Invading from the South, a platoon sized force must capture ground town-to-town while at the same time taking down strategic enemy objectives. Enemy forces are expected to have numerous ground troops, static fortifications, light to medium armor, and possible air power.

Anna squad and Boris squad will be led by platoon commander with the help of a variable fire support group. Casevac will be available to provide emergency medical assistance, logistical support, and occasional CAS.

Slots:

Command (3 Slots)

Anna (10 Slots)

Boris (10 Slots)

Fire Support Team (3 Slots)

Casevac (4 Slots)

Considerations:

We are playing as the russians 

Mission will be locked to first-person only

Will be hosted on EU3

100% credit to Kieran Collier for the mission

**Complications have again disallowed for the use of our ASR AI enhancement mod**

thx for the info. Also, where can i see or know if i'm selected or stuff like that? Just to be sure... First gaming night so all help is welcome :)

you just need to turn up on the night and the slots will be announced then, better this way as the slots can change frequently up to the day of the gamenight. 

Thanks to the Colliers and all the staff who helped, for putting this one on, and I'm sorry I couldn't play for longer but internet decided to go into the crapper.

A few takeaway lessons here:

1) I have absolutely nothing against the Command element here, I think they did a great job - but ultimately I think for game night we should be aiming at missions where "High Command" has already come up with the mission orders and plan of attack, so we can skip the planning and organization stage of the mission.  No one likes the 30 min waiting around for things to get going, least of all Command.

2) I don't think the CASEVAC concept is working, because people die too quickly, before CASEVAC can do anything about it.  I think just a dedicated air wing for transport and support is probably the way to go.

3) If we have BTRs in base, I say we use them. :)

- R

2) I don't think the CASEVAC concept is working, because people die too quickly, before CASEVAC can do anything about it.  I think just a dedicated air wing for transport and support is probably the way to go.

This was discussed extensively in the aftermath. As I said there, I believe it only works with the old revive system we had in place. I support that system only, and ONLY in game nights where we HAVE a CASEVAC/MEDEVAC team.

As an example, Icy's game night, where it first got implemented and tested, and where the MEDEVAC team was protected by conventions. That was probably the most fun I've ever had as a medic ever. And I like playing medic. Keep in mind we were a three man team with no defined roles, however. The MEDEVAC leader flew that night because it was decided in such a way, while myself and the other medic rolled around in a medical M113, unlike the CASEVAC team that has defined pilot roles and such.

3) If we have BTRs in base, I say we use them. :)

I sat on top of one waiting for stuff to happen. Does that count?

The mission was absolutely enjoyable, although I, for one, could see a minor caveat that might have contributed to the clusterfuck after a while. I didn't think about it beforehand, yet when I had to assume Boris lead from my Boris 2 TL position, it felt a bit overwhelming and impractical to assign SL to a TL by default, as you did with Anna and Boris 1.

Obviously this was my maiden voyage as SL, so take this with a grain of salt, but I prefer the separate command elements.