The Radio Channels discussion topic

So it comes down to this - should people change the radio channel structure or not?

Option A: "Just put everyone in the squad on the same channel"

This works great when two conditions are present:

1) There is a strong command structure in place (ie., Platoon Command and Squad Lead(s))

2) The squad moves as a singular unit, ie., within shouting range.

Guess how often those two conditions occur?

Option B: "GEN:100, A1: 110, A2: 120" (or whatever)

The more prevalent condition is that NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE COMMAND and it's left up to a single person to run as ASL (or sometimes even just a fire team leader) to organize the plan and the various squads.

In this case all you Option A people are asking the ASL to manage his squad, as well as Vortex/MAT/MMG on Long Range.  The whole reason I came up with 100/110/120 was so I could delegate squad movement and action to the fire team leads (or people I designate as FTL because no one seems to want to take that slot).  Enforcing radio discipline is fine and dandy.  But when Vortex/MAT/MMG all want a piece of your attention, there's little left for the squad.

Advantages here are that it encourages people to run as FTL (or something akin to that) which I would hope grooms them for command positions.  As well it allows for more finessed movement: if I have to keep everyone in shouting distance, then there's no way the two fire teams will be able to flank from different directions on a target.

Discuss.

-R

Something that came to me is you could have the entire squad on 100 however have the fire teams set their 110/120 as an addition and they can use that to communicate while still listening to the squad lead however normal inf aren't allowed to carry those radios that allow additionals.

Option A: "Just put everyone in the squad on the same channel"

This works great when two conditions are present:

1) There is a strong command structure in place (ie., Platoon Command and Squad Lead(s))

2) The squad moves as a singular unit, ie., within shouting range.

You forgot radio discipline and it may not be as common as these two but can still happen.

As for #2 yep that can happen all the time fire teams will leave 2 men behind to cover their movement up and now they have to say over radio letting the entire squad know 2 men are free to move up and if we had an entire squad that's 7 guys hearing something they don't need to and yelling distance is quite far so lets say they're in yelling distance they'll still use the radio to insure they did hear the command to move up and once again it's a thing 7 guys don't need to hear.

Not this shit again...

There's no need to be rude Despite.

As for #2 yep that can happen all the time fire teams will leave 2 men behind to cover their movement up and now they have to say over radio letting the entire squad know 2 men are free to move up and if we had an entire squad that's 7 guys hearing something they don't need to and yelling distance is quite far so lets say they're in yelling distance they'll still use the radio to insure they did hear the command to move up and once again it's a thing 7 guys don't need to hear.

Two men should never be left behind to cover. Individual personnel shouldn't be seperated from their fireteam on purpose.

------------------------------------

The bottom line is that members of a fireteam shouldn't be seperated by more than yelling distance. The fireteams can have further seperation from eachother, but only in order to engage in flanking maneuvers, bounding overwatches, etc; meaning they should never be attacking an area from vastly different approaches.

Because of this, it's important that an individual fireteam member have the ability to call out threats to the entire squad, quickly, and without having to go through his Lead.

Moreover, information from the Squad Leader is generally relevant to all units in the Squad, and is best served by direct delivery given the often more specific nature of it.

Mhmmm... yeah, that last bit isn't entirely fair Glitch.

It's a perfectly valid point that, usually, Alpha Squad Lead ends up juggling much more than he is intended to. Nobody is struggling to fulfil their duties as Squad Leader.

Just keep it to 3 channels, leader channel then 2 fire team channels. It's simple, I don't understand why people are bitching. It's realistic and it only improves comm discipline. The riflemen, grenadiers, autoriflemans etc do not need to listen to the Squad lead issue orders to the medic and leaders every waypoint.

Same frequency should really only be used in main command element and sometimes in vehicle such as Air and Armor when the time calls for it and it has been discussed between both commanders and officers.

1 Frequency and proper discipline. Fireteam members should not act on SL orders but on the FTLorder. While you may hear the orders, he's the one who directs your fireteam. Where indeed the FTL calls out minor movement adjustments to carry out the overal order. Only use radio when needed as a regular squad member, adjust your speaking volume whisper/normal/yelling when needed but don't bother SL,FTL and the other FTL with random chatter.

Here's my two cents, from looking at working examples in arma:

Why?

Communication is just one element of a successful sortie, quick reporting of initial contact can save lives, redundancy via incapacitation needs to be quick and easy.

I believe everybody should be on the same page when hearing about the plan and being able to adapt to a new one instantly is vital, this is amplified in a high casualty scenario

How?

Who are you reporting that contact to, to try and be effective? your buddy? fire team leader? the next fire team?

How can you maintain control in a poor situation?

How can you pass orders down without repeating them over and over?

What?

Alpha on one UHF, Bravo on another UHF. MMG on another UHF, Tank drivers on another UHF, Pilot-copilot-crew chief on another UHF

Command Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, MMG Leader or designated radio man on a common VHF

Support assets on the JTAC/FAC VHF.

The above is an ideal situation, however we often don't get a FAC, MMG team leader etc. In those cases we have to hand the responsibility to the next ranking person, with FAC is goes UP to commander first, then back down the tree towards alpha leader, if he's swamped with workload then he may delegate as a plat-co delegates to the FAC.

If there is no MMG team leader then the gunner will have to set an additional channel in his UHF radio, and so on.

Has to be said in the situation fireteam one hits contact. Fireteam lead then has to relay it to Squad lead/Other fireteam lead, then the other fireteam lead has to let his fireteam know. In an idle world that happens. In most cases it doesn't. 

BUT....

It is entirely upto the SQUAD LEADER on how his squad radio works. There is no rule saying what he can or can't do with the radios.

We recommend you use either method to your squad leading comfort.

I believe neither should be forced upon you and a commander/another squad lead shouldn't choose for you. 

Neither system is perfect.  As soon as the squad takes casualties, meets major resistance, has competing priorities... both systems will fall down because of their own individual flaws.

Obviously I prefer the 100/110/120 system, but when the Team Leaders go down, I have in the past had to get everyone to move to the same channel, because I am essentially taking over as one big Alpha Team Leader with the remaining units.  But when things are working, I find this comm system works really well.

There's one other factor that hasn't been considered: when guns are going off around you and you have earplugs in your ears, you can actually hear what is said over the radio rather than what is being said in local.  And changing your voice profile to "yelling" doesn't amplify your voice: it just extends the distance that it projected.  As a SL (and as a TL) I want to ensure that my message is received clearly.  When I yell at someone, I can't guarantee that they heard me.  When I use the radio, there is a much greater chance.

There is also nothing in the 100/110/120 system that prevents individual rifleman from using additional channels to monitor 100 or the other fire team's frequency, if they want to be exposed to additional information.  I actually encourage the FTLs to nominate an alternate FTL (usually the Corporal is the logical choice) to do so, so that if the FTL goes down, comms can be maintained.

Finally I'll re-iterate that I like this system because it forces the FTLs to be engaged in leading their fire team, rather than just be parrots of the ASL.

-R

There is also nothing in the 100/110/120 system that prevents individual rifleman from using additional channels to monitor 100 or the other fire team's frequency, if they want to be exposed to additional information.  I actually encourage the FTLs to nominate an alternate FTL (usually the Corporal is the logical choice) to do so, so that if the FTL goes down, comms can be maintained.

-R

There is 1 major flaw  and that the rifleman radio those people supposed to have is not able to do a add chan 

There is 1 major flaw  and that the rifleman radio those people supposed to have is not able to do a add chan

It isn't so hard to get the advanced radio from the Virtual Arsenal.  If you use the logic that the equipment the troops are spawned with is what they are intended to have, and shouldn't have anything else, then we shouldn't have map flashlights.

-R

I do admire you encouraging leadership ryko, we definitely could do with more of them, I guess in true AhoyWorld spirit, in our half relaxed/serious environment we have the option of choosing either system. Praise be to regulations team for keeping that vision