Beret for EU#3 mod repository

Guest DwayneBrooklyn

Question

Guest DwayneBrooklyn

I found an add-on that gives the option of a green beret to be used as headwear. In game we have a black beret, but not green. I need green! Royal Marines Commando's wear green, I have proof!

The links

Guy whom made the mod & his forum post - https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/171483-british-beret-modifications-by-steel/

Screenshot - http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/armydude911/media/arma32014-08-0418-27-31-94_zps957c2d0c.jpg.html

Download link - https://mega.nz/#!QIVUhQ4C!R0aDiW6PMZZ2Je0qMuGScCa3NkRioIeIfKjexBy-I1M

I also found another pack with red beret's in, but this is designed for ARMA 2, don't know whether you guys could do some magic and make it work for ARMA 3?!
Armaholic post - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13732

The green beret is 4.1 MB.

The red beret pack is 109 MB.

10 answers to this question

Guest DwayneBrooklyn
plz stop posting requests to add gear 

This is actually my first post on the forums...

Yes we can complain it ads more clutter to the arsenal even if its only 1 item 

Sorry but the 'clutter' argument doesn't fly with me. If the amount of items selectable needed trimming it could easily be done. An easy start would be removing all the pointless marksman, sniper etc rifles since for some mythical reason it's against the rules! Adding 1 beret and removing about 10 or 15 weapons or so seems a admirable move.

not a needed item, plus gives you no head protection, think smart and wear protection

Actually the majority of helmet's are in effect useless. The majority of weapons in the game can actually penetrate all the helmets at short-medium(/medium-long, dependent on the weapon) range[1]. You could argue that they protect against close proximity explosions and what have you - and yeah that's true but then I ask; how often do AI's fire RPG's!?

All in all, I'm not trynna start a flame war here. You guys are throwing counterarguments my way and I'm answering, it's called scrutiny and it's better than a server that's just full of yes men.

[1] You can actually check this yourself in the editor or there's plenty of user made charts that demonstrate this.

So in a typical EU#3 scenario we are fighting against enemies equipped with AKs. Booted up ARMA3, loaded up the arsenal fireing range thing, loaded up my basic russian grenadier loadout(AK with GL v/ stock ammo). Selected the vanilla ACH Helmet. Result:

Range 20m 1 shot to the head

AGDuET2.jpg

Without headgear 20m 1 shot to the head:

ATLqMAN.jpg

Tryk PASGT ( To rule out "OP" vanilla helmets ) 20m 1 shot to the head:

J76id4n.jpg

And without headgear again 20m 1 shot to the head:

5iSatFw.jpg

Either my ARMA3 is broke or it seems that helmets work exactly like they are suppose to? Facetanking bullets wont work unless your fielding some heavy duty Jason Vorhees mask made out of Kevlar\Titanium combo stuff made by Tony Stark.

Also, digging through configs and general BIS wiki about the cfg's for gear shows that helmets range from 1.2-1.8 in armor rating whereas cloth stuff as berets and field caps have _0_.

I dont see any practical application for this beret other than to cater to your needs to play dressup. With that said gear restriction is coming to cut down the OCONUS SAS FSK SEAL SPECIAL TEAM DELTAFORCE 6 Pripiyat dressup simulator 2015 that happens every time theres a new restarting of the mission\server.

This is actually my first post on the forums...

Welcome to the forums. FYI he means gear posts in general. Not just you. :)

Sorry but the 'clutter' argument doesn't fly with me. If the amount of items selectable needed trimming it could easily be done. An easy start would be removing all the pointless marksman, sniper etc rifles since for some mythical reason it's against the rules! Adding 1 beret and removing about 10 or 15 weapons or so seems a admirable move.

Don't think we haven't thought about it....

Blacklisting in arsenal does not work for us. We have tried many, many different ways. Thus meaning we have to whitelist.

We've just completed the white-list of ITEMS so we could remove thermal scopes. This included us collecting a list of over 1000+ items. Which isn't just a 1,2,3 simple thing. It takes a lot of time which we'd rather focus else where.

There is no actual rule saying they can't be used. HOWEVER Rule 10 covers this due to Gauntlet currently not having a marksman/sniper slot. However one may come in the future again. 

how often do AI's fire RPG's!?

I play EU3 nearly everyday of the week. I myself and many others would agree that we experience RPGs atleast 6+ times a week. Sometimes we have that in just one life. How much have you played?

All in all, I'm not trynna start a flame war here. You guys are throwing counterarguments my way and I'm answering, it's called scrutiny and it's better than a server that's just full of yes men.

That is perfectly fine mate :) So are we :).

TL:DR VERSION: I don't mind berets, I quite like them. BUT they don't have any effective combat use.

PS> I'm not having a go. I'm quite simply replying to you :)

OK, there is a LOT of negativity here towards their idea :angry:

yes it adds another item 'cluttering the arsenal' as you put; but that doesn't mean you should just blank everything out thinking that what you have is perfect.

[sounds a bit meaner that what i expected but]

also you say there is no combat related reason for having the beret, actually there are reasons.

if you know that someone that has for example a long range radio on their back they are likely to be in command of a fire team etc. this gives that person an identity or something you can use to distinguish who they are e.g. friend or foe. In other words there is a reason for having the beret or other variations even though they may 'clutter the arsenal' as then you can know who you are talking to or looking for so the team can be more effective.

in addition if you want to solve the 'clutter' problem have different arsenals for different people and only have the items they should be using in their box according to their role.

about the damage part; from my experience the AI either kills you outright with the first shots or damages you similar amounts no matter what you are wearing.

finally, the dress up games that apparently happen.

simply say 'SAVE YOUR OUTFITS/GEAR' in a big text; 'wait in your fire teams until given further instructions by your leader before the mission' and if it comes to it [something that I HATE] use what is given to you. From where I have been playing arma3 modded recently the resupply dilemma doesn't occur when basically we do the mission with the supplies we have and when we are not doing a mission [only person online kind of thing] we sort out out gear. Another thing we tend not to mind having 10 million items as we have been using both RHS, TRYK, TFA/X... we just deal with it and look for the one we want.

!!!!!!