Preventing friendly fire

Klosjaarrr

Today the chat was full of people dying because they got shot by friendly's. I know this is a sensitive topic as EU #1 is semi-realism focused, so a lot of anti-team kill measurements are too intrusive of the immersive realism aspect of the game and I&A. However, I would like to see at least some actions taken to reduce the amount of team kills. A couple ideas to prevent this:

• Give players a couple blue smokes in the default load out;
  • Lessen the weight of blue smokes so players can carry more;
  • Announce regularly in chat that blue smokes are used to mark friendly players. Maybe even use a billboard as suggested in this similar topic: 

I think implementing this will reduce team killing but also fits into the realism aspect of the game. Anyway, my $0.02.

I guess the biggest issue is making players do what you want in an environment like EU1. Even though you would make it easier to carry blue smokes there is no guarantee that players will use them, then I figure some goof ball will start using it as cover and or throw them over enemy positions...

@Stanhope has implemented a TK script on the server. I'm sure he will be more than happy to give you the details. The script basically warns the offender and later disables hes input if too many TKs are done by an individual in a certain amount of time.

4 hours ago, Klosjaarrr said:

Today the chat was full of people dying because they got shot by friendly's. I know this is a sensitive topic as EU #1 is semi-realism focused,

We indeed like some degree of realism but anti-teamkilling measures have never been denied because they'd impeed with the realism aspect.  (I wouldn't personally say semi-realism, just a bit above completely not realistic :))

4 hours ago, Klosjaarrr said:

However, I would like to see at least some actions taken to reduce the amount of team kills.

What currently happens when someone TKs someone else:
1: a serverwide chat message is displayed in sidechat telling everyone that player x TKed player y.

2: a chat message is displayed in a chat that only admins and zeuses can see giving them some more info on the teamkill.  (things like weapon TKer, vehicle TKer, ...)

3: An even more extensive teamkill message is saved on the server.  This contains the TKers unique ID, his vehicle, the weapon he used, the TKed guys vehicle, ...

4: The TKer gets a hintC, a hint that you have to click away with an OK button, telling him to apologize to the guy he teamkilled

5: a script checks how many TKs the TKer already made. If this is his first TK the hint described in 4 is the only thing that happens.  If this is his second teamkill he'll be shown a message warning him that he should really watch his fire.  He'll also be forced to respawn to continue playing.  If it's the third teamkill all his input will be disabled.  He will have to alt + f4 out of arma.  A message is also displayed explaining why.  

This script forgets you teamkilled someone 10 minutes after the teamkill in question.  

Other things we've done to reduce teamkilling:
- Base has safezones, you cannot be shot in them.
- You cannot shoot in base, not even in vehicles
- As of the next version heli landing pads and vehicles will be separated by H-barriers.  People won't be able to ram landed helis in base anymore.

As to your suggestions:
- The current default loadouts are just the vanilla ones.  I guess I could edit them to contain blue smokes.  But that's a lot of work seeing how you can freely take them from the arsenal

- AFAIK I can't lower the weight of things, I could be wrong tho.
- There are 2 types of team killers: people who teamkill knowingly and willingly and people who teamkill out of some form of ignorance.  
The first type isn't gonna care that you throw a blue smoke, the second type usually doesn't look at the billboards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all ears for anything that could possibly reduce teamkills but I personally don't think that merely giving people blue smokes is going to help.  I could be wrong in this tho.

1 hour ago, Stanhope said:

- There are 2 types of team killers: people who teamkill knowingly and willingly and people who teamkill out of some form of ignorance.  

The first type isn't gonna care that you throw a blue smoke, the second type usually doesn't look at the billboards.

3 - those who do it genuinely by accident. I have comminted 3 TKs since joining the I&A servers back in 2013, all were accidental. I have been TKed countless times I'd say at least 25% were accidental.

Blue smoke won't help that much in my opinion, as Stan said if they are TKing on purpose they'll just carry on, if it's because they don't know then the warnings will make them learn, ditto for accidents. Also lots of smoke can cause as many TKs as solve them (or lead to other deaths).

16 minutes ago, ansin11 said:

What?

What Ryko means is that players can't visually identify whether a T-100 is friendly or not.

With some GREENFOR vehicles, we've got them in actual NATO beige camo now, making it pretty easy to tell the difference.

4 minutes ago, ansin11 said:

That is kind of why I put a NATO flag on there. That was the entire point.

I'm not disagreeing, all I know is that in a pilot's targeting screen it's just going to come up "T-100" and there's no way the player is going to see the flag.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's me wishing we could get IR Strobes or chemsticks on our lids for during the night.

I usually run the IR laser on a night anyway, but in the instances where I forget to toggle it on or don't have one equipped... I've been lit up so many times.