greencolored teamnames on the map

Guest Max

Question

Hello there!
I've been enjoying playing on the Ahoy's Invade & Annex Servers, a really positive game experience. There's only one wish i had: when you are in a team/squad and looking on the map i wish the teammates names would be rendered in a green color instead in blue. You could easily see where your team mates are at the moment. What do you think?

Max

14 answers to this question

It doesn't really matter what I think, BIS says BLUFOR units get blue markers and Independent (AAF, FIA, Syndikat) units get green ones. So thats where people who are used to that might ID their targets wrong.

Then again I don't think it's possible for the unit symbols. The squad symbol wouldn't be a problem, but that's not what you're looking for.

it must not be green, every other color will be fine. But i hate it, not to see where my squad members are. Is it really a problem changing the color of the player markers by scripting?

dont listen to the nubcake that posted above - he ´s new to ARMA

:D

Its entirely possible to edit the color marker as you wish,it just needs a few edits on your ARMA setup.

Load up ARMA > main menu > Options > Game > Colors

Then swap the individual colors of the OPFOR and BLUFOR (make sure to write down the basic settings,in case you want to change back) to your liking.

This change is "client only" so it wont interfere with any MP stuff juast in case of.

Taaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

Once again its knowledge = key Mr.12

kekekekeke

mic drop#

The only way I think it would be possible is if everybody stuck to their chosen squad. Then you could have blue for Alpha, green for Bravo, purple for Charlie etc.

(this goes for squad markers at least, not sure for individual members)

If you leave Alpha and group up with a member of Bravo and Recon to form a self-assembled squad, however, you lose that functionality.

@Lindi: just tried ShackTack but it doesn't do what i want. On the map all players are still visible with blue markers. I think the best would be if the Mission itself could get a little bit of scripting to color teamsquads. I hope it's possible to implement.

I'm having a really really bad day, so I probably shouldn't access the internet, but anyways.

Unless you alter Arma 3 at a level lower than SQF scripts, you can not achieve what Max wants to achieve - and I'm not sure if you could achieve it that way either. If you wish to alter Arma 3 at a level below SQF you will have to, among other things, write your own CFGs. I & A is supposed to be run on vanilla Arma 3. Writing new CFGs is on the one hand a lot of work and on the other hand creates entirely new classes. That is what mods give you. If a mod adds a new plane to Arma 3, then it ships a new CFG for that plane with it. That is why you have to download mods. That makes this approach unfeasible for I & A.

Now on to why I don't think you can do it in a practical way at all. What @TheScar changes in the settings is the map colour assigned to a side. Now unless you want to add - again, via mods - enough sides to Arma 3 to assign every new group to a new side with its own colour, you're not going to have differently coloured units on the map. Oh yes, and did I mention side relations need to be defined as well? Yea, that is not happening any time soon.

It's a basic game mechanic that unit map markers use the colour assigned to the unit's side. Unless BIS decides to change it we can't have it.

This is just what my understanding of Arma 3's design and mechanics is (basically a somewhat well educated guess), so it might be entirely wrong. (It's probably not)

If you show me a way it can be done I'll be pretty impressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't squad member have numbers next to their map icon? At least with shacktac UI. If so, you can identify them by presence of a number. The only other option would be trying to use a script to attach custom color markers (visible in squad channel) to squadmembers (similarly to ORBAT group markers) but that would probably create a clutter on the map, as markers don't scale while zooming in or out on the map.

@JANXOL not with vanilla Arma, so probably just with ShackTac.

Since I don't do MP, I don't really know, but as far as I can see, there is no way to create a marker via SQF that is only visible within a certain channel (see allMapMarkers: difference between editor placed markers and _USER_DEFINED #<PlayerID>/<MarkerID>/<ChannelID> markers - createMarker doesn't allow for <ChannelID> to be defined). I also tried finding the function that is called when you place a map marker during runtime, but I didn't find anything helpful. What I did find is BIS_fnc_markerPath, so at least I finally know how BIS draws the lines in the Bootcamp triangulation task, had been wondering for years...

I also agree on the map clutter with markers for every group member, but that probably wouldn't be too bad if the markers are set to a size around 0.1.

38 minutes ago, ansin11 said:

@JANXOL not with vanilla Arma, so probably just with ShackTac.

Since I don't do MP, I don't really know, but as far as I can see, there is no way to create a marker via SQF that is only visible within a certain channel (see allMapMarkers: difference between editor placed markers and _USER_DEFINED #<PlayerID>/<MarkerID>/<ChannelID> markers - createMarker doesn't allow for <ChannelID> to be defined). I also tried finding the function that is called when you place a map marker during runtime, but I didn't find anything helpful. What I did find is BIS_fnc_markerPath, so at least I finally know how BIS draws the lines in the Bootcamp triangulation task, had been wondering for years...

I also agree on the map clutter with markers for every group member, but that probably wouldn't be too bad if the markers are set to a size around 0.1.

What about createMarkerLocal? Server would call it on clients machine, so that all clients would get markers for their respective squads.