Player Mortars - Firebase Hammer

You could do what I do when I'm mortar gunner, and absolutely surround the firebase with APERS mines. 

Hehe.

Now that gentlemen is the right way to things.  Can never have too few mines

I think a respawning mine-field (with a 1-minute respawn if destroyed) that leaves one clear path to the firebase is one way to prevent the newbies/trouble makers from running up to it and messing around with it. Problem is we cant have the same kind of spawn protection we have in the base because that means they won't be able to fire at all. 

The best way forward is to just re-spawn the mortars if they're disassembled/destroyed.

I think a respawning mine-field (with a 1-minute respawn if destroyed) that leaves one clear path to the firebase is one way to prevent the newbies/trouble makers from running up to it and messing around with it. Problem is we cant have the same kind of spawn protection we have in the base because that means they won't be able to fire at all. 

The best way forward is to just re-spawn the mortars if they're disassembled/destroyed.

I think it should be up to the gunner, they don't really have much to do when an AO is being cleared of its last few enemies, and can just easily put a lot of APERS/Claymores around the firebase, since there's an ammo box helpfully placed downstairs in the building.

Also, I accidentally blew up the firebase once by detonating over 30 claymores and a bunch of satchels at the same time, and yet five minutes later when I switched to a pilot, the mortars seemed fine. The base had been flattened, but it seems the mortars survived, and had reloaded after they were out of ammo.

Also, some feedback, besides the weird buggy super-long reload time thing that's going on atm, it seems that using a mortar and destroying an enemy vehicle, say an Ifrit, doesn't give you a vehicle kill on the scoreboard. I don't know if its just me, but its happened a lot.

I think it should be up to the gunner, they don't really have much to do when an AO is being cleared of its last few enemies, and can just easily put a lot of APERS/Claymores around the firebase, since there's an ammo box helpfully placed downstairs in the building.

Also, I accidentally blew up the firebase once by detonating over 30 claymores and a bunch of satchels at the same time, and yet five minutes later when I switched to a pilot, the mortars seemed fine. The base had been flattened, but it seems the mortars survived, and had reloaded after they were out of ammo.

Also, some feedback, besides the weird buggy super-long reload time thing that's going on atm, it seems that using a mortar and destroying an enemy vehicle, say an Ifrit, doesn't give you a vehicle kill on the scoreboard. I don't know if its just me, but its happened a lot.

I know when you are playing by just looking at the map, the firebase looks like a cluster of red dots :P

Regarding the vehicle "kills" score, I noticed a few times when I destroyed ifrits (and also ka60s on the side mission) with AT, that I didn't get the score. I suspect this may happen when you shoot the vehicle and it explodes a few seconds later, not sure tho.

Tried every way i know how to detect whether the mortar has been disassembled, from event handlers to !alive checks, to triggers... not a sausage.

As for the reloading timer this should be fixed next version, should display every 5 minutes the status of your reload, if you are in a mortar for more than 5 minutes with no message in vehicle chat, it's broken

Yea the supply chain idea and defending the firebase from attacks would liven up the role of the gunner and integrate the team a bit more with the firebase

perhaps side mission that spawns an enemy attack on the Firebase to give the gunner a heads up to defend himself and teammates to come to his aid

nicely implemented just needs tweaking to make the role a tad more interesting  and less lonely :)

here is something that I noticed as well. It isnt always just people NOT slotted as a mortar gunner. But ALSO "new" mortar gunners as well. they see the option to fold them up and bammmm, all is screwed. I think the only real option here is to be able to remove the option to be able to pack them up altogether as mentioned before, that is if it is possible at all.