Adding Opfor to EU 1

Pjteam6

Hello,

I was wondering if the was a possibility that we could add limited opfor slots say 5 with stipulations like there must be 10-15 blufor online to hop in those slots? It may help increase game play when there are many people on the server.

Patrick Wallace

13 hours ago, Pjteam6 said:

Hello,

I was wondering if the was a possibility that we could add limited opfor slots say 5 with stipulations like there must be 10-15 blufor online to hop in those slots? It may help increase game play when there are many people on the server.

Patrick Wallace

Nice idea, and would be fun, not sure it would work for the reasons mentioned.

Might give Scar a challenge though?

12 hours ago, Chutnut said:

What I could see is Eu4 going to a CSAT based team where the enemy AI is nato and CSAT/AAF is your team.

I like that idea a lot; add in some variety.

13 hours ago, Pjteam6 said:

I was wondering if the was a possibility that we could add limited opfor slots say 5 with stipulations like there must be 10-15 blufor online to hop in those slots?

Yes it is possible, but.  
I&A was never intended as a PvP(+E) mission.  Because of this the code was not written with PvP in mind meaning that it won't be something we can quickly do.  It'd require us to rewrite a lot of the code, write new code, ...
It'd be hours of work to only be able to do it, it won't even be bug free by then.  Making it bug free would take an additional few hours of work.

Then we get into the problem of balancing.  How are we going to stop people from spawn camping,  which weapons are we going to give to who, where are we going to have CSAT spawn in, ...

Because of all of these reasons I&A 3 will not be modified to be a PvP+E mission.  

13 hours ago, Chutnut said:

What I could see is Eu4 going to a CSAT based team where the enemy AI is nato and CSAT/AAF is your team.

26 minutes ago, GamerbugUK said:

I like that idea a lot; add in some variety.

We've talked about it in the past in the dev team when developing malden.  It'd also require a lot of code to be altered and would make maintaining all the versions just that bit more time consuming.  Again this because I&A 3 was not written with this in mind.  However i do think that it's possible in a reasonable amount of time.  
Suggest it in the ideas box and we might look into doing it.  I'm not making any promises though.  

• 3 weeks later...

it's a great idea and seeing that you can afford so many servers in the first place I cant see why this hasn't been done already. Where ever the bit of code is that spawns in the opfor units, there must be a way of just saying that they are "playable" I understand that it would take a lot of time to edit the code, but it's well worth it.

Blufor would start at the base as usual. Opfor should spawn inside the hq on the ao with the vehicles and equiptment they always have and by the time blufor get to the lz near the ao opfor should be settled into there patrol routes and hiding places.

It should be a hardcore server with no extended map info or team mate / enemy icons no mine triangles, Make them use landmarks and the compass. if you turn all that shit off the players won't run about because they wont want to get lost or blow up lol. Maybe set the opfor patrol routes to fade. The patrol routes would be optional as they could do what ever they want really. Let them Place mines, ied's all that stuff  :) No thermals for anyone other than the uav op though maybe not even him, well them as ther would be 1 on each team if the server was full. 

I would say no respawning but i guess opfor could repsawn at there dedicated base where there pilots and maybe uav would spawn in and it would feel like reinforcements. But i would be happy with going to the spectator screen if i wasnt revived in time. 
It would be amazing imo. 60v60. You could even make a server restart calender.  

koth is fun but its got a constant rushed feel to it, everything is so close together and its all about xp and money.  This would be diffrent with the 2 dedicated bases being in the same location everytime and the AO being in a randomised area. It would force us to use the whole map.

May the team with the best officer win lol. No high Command because the officers can see the enemy locations.

29 minutes ago, jackontakt said:

it's a great idea and seeing that you can afford so many servers in the first place I cant see why this hasn't been done already. Where ever the bit of code is that spawns in the opfor units, there must be a way of just saying that they are "playable" I understand that it would take a lot of time to edit the code, but it's well worth it.

Blufor would start at the base as usual. Opfor should spawn inside the hq on the ao with the vehicles and equiptment they always have and by the time blufor get to the lz near the ao opfor should be settled into there patrol routes and hiding places.

It should be a hardcore server with no extended map info or team mate / enemy icons no mine triangles, Make them use landmarks and the compass. if you turn all that shit off the players won't run about because they wont want to get lost or blow up lol. Maybe set the opfor patrol routes to fade. The patrol routes would be optional as they could do what ever they want really. Let them Place mines, ied's all that stuff  :) No thermals for anyone other than the uav op though maybe not even him, well them as ther would be 1 on each team if the server was full. 

I would say no respawning but i guess opfor could repsawn at there dedicated base where there pilots and maybe uav would spawn in and it would feel like reinforcements. But i would be happy with going to the spectator screen if i wasnt revived in time. 
It would be amazing imo. 60v60. You could even make a server restart calender.  

koth is fun but its got a constant rushed feel to it, everything is so close together and its all about xp and money.  This would be diffrent with the 2 dedicated bases being in the same location everytime and the AO being in a randomised area. It would force us to use the whole map.

May the team with the best officer win lol. No high Command because the officers can see the enemy locations.

What i'm reading here is the basis of a new gamemode, a hybrid between I&A and KoTH.  We don't have the manpower to make a new gamemode let alone maintain it.  

And if you're looking for a more 'hardcore' server, go check out AWE.  Our enhanced server which has the difficulty settings you describe and a different gamemode than I&A.

44 minutes ago, jackontakt said:

Thanks how can i find the servers ? iv typed AWE into the server browser but nothing is showing up.

Filter host for "AhoyWorld" as normal and look for EU3.

Note: U have to install add-ons + TFAR first

Also, never a fan of PvP+E. I was on another server where they allow donators to play as Opfor. They will hop in a Kajman and destroy the only one or two NATO choppers that are online.

46 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

What i'm reading here is the basis of a new gamemode, a hybrid between I&A and KoTH.  We don't have the manpower to make a new gamemode let alone maintain it.  

And if you're looking for a more 'hardcore' server, go check out AWE.  Our enhanced server which has the difficulty settings you describe and a different gamemode than I&A.

this arma3sync thing is a bit of a nightmare to use. and 19gb of mods :( ? is it pvp ? and do i need all of the repository content ?

27 minutes ago, fir_nev said:

Filter host for "AhoyWorld" as normal and look for EU3.

Note: U have to install add-ons + TFAR first

Also, never a fan of PvP+E. I was on another server where they allow donators to play as Opfor. They will hop in a Kajman and destroy the only one or two NATO choppers that are online.

Thank you. im downloading it all now.

6 hours ago, jackontakt said:

this arma3sync thing is a bit of a nightmare to use. and 19gb of mods :( ? is it pvp ? and do i need all of the repository content ?

Yes arma sync is a pain :) Yep the entire repo is needed.  Occasionally there are pvp game nights.

i tend to aggree that playing vs a tiny percentage of human players has its benefits to game playout and longterm maintainability of enjoyment for a minor part of the playerbase.

Still,you elected ZEUS players to cover this part of it.

And,you never get the unbiased,branch open and maintaining fun > competition ZEUS thats good for this kind of idea.

The idea alone reminds me alot of the "Insurgency" missions of A2:Takistan where you had (depending on available playercount) up to 5 infantry OPFOR slots available that could spawn inside the AOs on up to 3 spawns and mix emself under the AI being responsible for "insurgency" oerations like LZ attacks,car bombs,RPG attacks,etc - the comon drill.The main advantage over a ZEUS is that you got regular killmessages so there s no "suspicion" or "madness" allogations comin around usually.

On 5.10.2017 at 10:13 AM, GamerbugUK said:

Might give Scar a challenge though?

Where as you may have read out from my before response,i m not really a fan of that idea.

I+A is about a team effort achievment mainly and not about kiillstats or braggin about what your mother has achieved in a video game.

I do support the creation of a a OPFOR infantry kill team for a test playout if a majority aggroves this.

But do we really think thats necessarry?

• 7 months later...

I would be more than happy to donate my time to help code this and keep it updated. I have experience with the editor and scripting for Arma since the Arma 1 days. 

What do you guys think of making a small group of Greenfor allied with opfor playable. Their primary goal being to hamper the efforts of Blufor in the AO or enroute to the AO? I have a few small FOB/Campsite templates I have made that would fit perfectly.

They could have small campsite spawn zones near the AO and a larger permanent FOB with insurgent type weapon boxes (ak's, mk20/tavor, RPG, mines/bombs, zafir & DMR's) and light attack vehicles  and possibly an unarmed transport chopper, that  they fall back to when BLUFOR destroys the campsite, making them travel farther to the AO on respawn. They could possibly have mortars or the Zamak MLR(with a long respawn time) at the FOB in addition to gun trucks. A trigger circle could be used around the campsites to keep Greenfor players from spawning when a blufor is in the  small circle area until killed or leaving the area. Another option could be to have the squad lead of greenfor to have the ability to create the campsite at a location of their choosing until dismantled or destroyed. 

I think adding a small amount of mostly low tech but high speed insurgent players would really freshen up I&A to keep Blufor on their toes and heads on a swivel.  The AI would still be the main armored threat, and keeping the greenfor players low tech would keep the threat against bluefor fair and balanced, as greenfor has the entire red army to back them up, greenfor will need to communicate, . I think this could only enhance the teamplay experience for the entire server, as it will require more communication and out of the box thinking for both sides of players. This could help really cut down on the lone wolves in bluefor that do not contribute much to the team play atmosphere.  

28 minutes ago, Wraith420 said:

I would be more than happy to donate my time to help code this and keep it updated. I have experience with the editor and scripting for Arma since the Arma 1 days. 

I don't know what the future plans are for I&A but you could always volunteer your time/knowledge to help I&A, here's how to do that: https://forums.ahoyworld.net/topic/9332-sqf-developers/ (I believe ryko is currently the guy to contact)

Interesting idea.

How about the side missions are manned by real players, the main AO by AI?

No idea even how that'd work, just throwing ideas out there.

I have also typed the word 'idea' way too much there and it has lost all meaning.