Locking First Person Only in EU3

This is a controversial topic, I agree. I'm probably splitting the community in half by posting this. But here goes...

I have clocked over 900 hours of gametime on Arma 3 and I absolutely adore this game. AWE has without a doubt been the highlight of these 900 hours. 

When I was a complete noob back in the earlier days, I abused 3rd Person.. a lot. It allowed me to check if the coast is clear without any risk whatsoever to the fleshy insides of my character's body. I could see enemy infantry easily behind the cover of a rock, taking my time to line up a shot.

For several months now, I've been using 1st Person on any server I play on. I log in to EU3, hop into the first person view, go into my controls, and delete the keybinding for toggle view so that it doesn't 'tempt' me into using this feature during an operation. 

It has made me a better player. I am more aware when I move across a field or when clearing a town. I use the freelook key constantly, looking around probably every 5 seconds. I check my corners more often and I take much more care when deciding to move. Thanks to this, I believe I die a lot less than I used to. 

Most importantly, the immersion is on another level. You rely on audio to hear if an enemy is on the other side of a wall. Whether that BTR has moved. You leave base in the back of an APC at the start of a gamenight and dismount in a completely new location. The tension of the mission increases. 

Yes, first person is more challenging, no doubt about that, and yes there is more risk involved. But I guarantee it will improve your skill level and force you to coordinate with your team members more frequently. Asking your marksman: "Is that enemy squad still on the road, or have they moved away?" Or "Is that turret facing towards us and will I be exposed to a hail of 30mm rounds when I try to take a shot with the AT4?".

P.S. If anyone does play with first person constantly like me, I'd recommend foot pedals. Makes leaning and rounding corners 10x easier.

Thank you all, give me your opinions,

Michal

I would love to have a first person lock!:) Not only because of the better immersion but also because it would probably split the community. The way everything is now we have casual players as well as more serious players on AWE... a first person lock would probably make the AWE playerbase more serious since probably most of the more casual players would just simply leave (what maybe could also make the more serious ones join more often) wich would also benefit the gameplay in my opinion. Sounds a bit harsh but I just think that a that broad community on the same server is just not good and that everything should be a bit more focused towards the one ore the other side (could also be the other way: that the server focuses more on casual than on serious.! :)

Just now, Karate Pyjamas said:

Either way is not beneficial for the server considering current player numbers.

You are totally right on that one. But I am more for quality than for quantity and would rather play with only one fireteam of more serious players than with 2 squads wich are mixed up by more serious and more causal players because it just makes things just go less smoth in my opinion (maybe because of the different playstyles/expectations, etc.). :( Of course I would probably also just leave if the server would become more casual but well then it would just be like that but in general the more casual players would benefit I guess. So either way it would be beneficial for the gameplay on the server I think.:)

AWE is a public server... In essence, people are free to join and do what they want (well, sort of...) If you're looking for serious and strict gameplay then you should be looking for organised events or groups who have that focus. The target audience of Gauntlet isn't going to change anytime soon as far as I would expect.

We're not MilSim, merely bridging a niche gap between public play and structured play.

3 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

AWE is a public server

With all the benefits and problems that brings with it.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

In essence, people are free to join and do what they want (well, sort of...)

Well we at least got quite a lot of rules to be honest (even though a lot of people don´t know them...:().

4 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

If you're looking for serious and strict gameplay then you should be looking for organised events or groups who have that focus.

I am not saying that I am not enjoying Gauntlet. I am just saying that a more clear direction would make it just more enjoyable for eiter one of the groups. Also we still have the MSOs for more structured gameplay.:)

6 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

The target audience of Gauntlet isn't going to change anytime soon as far as I would expect.

Probably not but that is why I am posting my opinion in here: to give input/feedback.:) Maybe more people think like that and it´ll cause a course-change and maybe(/probably) not but than it´s fine as well and I at least gave feedback and kept a thread alive.:lol:

10 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

We're not MilSim

By far not!:lol:

10 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

merely bridging a niche gap between public play and structured play.

Definitly and as said: I like that as well:) ...could just be better in my opinion;)

I have spent around 50-60% of my Arma time around AWE/EU3 and have been with the community for coming up on two years. Saying that I would still probably leave if first person was enforced. At the end of the day its personal preference which is why BI gave us the ability to switch between views, I don't even use third person all of the time, usually just in vehicles and when running long distances, I'd just be annoyed if I lost ability to be able to switch between.

I also can't agree with making changes to the server in order to get rid of a certain demographic.

I realise there are a lot of people that take first person very seriously and I have no problem with that, to them I just say let the third-person-ers do their thing and you do yours. 

Saying all this I'm pretty sure the server will stay as is anyway, just wanted to get my point across.

Cheers