Friendly arty

Stanhope

Question

So i just came from EU1 and some *cough* interesting stuff happend.  Because of one of those interesting things a pilot got marked TKer and the friendly AI of the arty decided to take the commander's gun of the scorcher and open fire on the heli.  It's definitely not the first time this happens, i've landed on someone standing on the pads before, got marked TKer and the sochor send some GMGs downrange, into the helipads.  Luckily i got out instantly and respawned.  Other people/pilots don't know this works.

Now what i'm suggesting is to remove the ammo of the commander's guns.  I did some quick googleing and came up with the following script-ish thingy:

this removeMagazinesTurret [ 500Rnd_127x99_mag_Tracer_Red, [ x ] ]; 

this removeMagazinesTurret [ 96Rnd_40mm_G_belt, [ x ] ]; 

Now the 'x' has to be changed to a number/set of numbers that represents the turret path (more info here).  But seeing how arma is being a **** to me i didn't have time to test it out yet (might do that later this evening/night).  It should just go into the scorcher ingame init.  

Now i can think of some reasons why it wouldn't be bad for the scorcher to open fire on TKers but the thing is that if a full huron with 1 TKer in it get's near base the scorcher will try to take that huron down.

So i think my opinion is rather clear, what do you guys think?

11 answers to this question

If we never want the AI to consider players as threats, we can also do this in initPlayerLocal.sqf

player addRating 10000000;

Everytime a player kills someone on their team, they lose about 2000 rating points, so this should give them plenty of leeway before they're considered hostile.

This is separate from score.

- R

Just now, IOnceWasATeddy said:

Seems like a good fix. However more simply couldn't you just remove the commander himself? If the Arty support script permits you really only need the gunner in.

I had some trouble in the past whilst creating my own missions with commanders not being in vehicles.  It could be that it doesn't affect anything but it does open up a slot for a player to get into so it would have to be locked as well.

4 minutes ago, Nibbs said:

To be honest I thought the Sochor and Sandstorm were just there for show, and were simulation disabled.

Oh they work.  They do more AA than arty stuff but they sure work.  If you've got enough points you can request an arty strike somewhere at the laptop next to the teleport/base AA laptop.

1 minute ago, Stanhope said:

Oh they work.  They do more AA than arty stuff but they sure work.  If you've got enough points you can request an arty strike somewhere at the laptop next to the teleport/base AA laptop.

I know you can request the strikes from the laptops, but thought those were a standard function of the Arma Server and didn't actually get launched from those vehicles. (e.g. make a blank Altis map, and go into Zeus with Ares mod, you can call the same list of strikes as from the laptops, without placing any sochor or sandstorms) Which is why I assumed those 2 were actually sim disabled. I thought it was just the Cheetah which was the base AA defence (with the script sim enabling it when the AA is turned on)

1 minute ago, Nibbs said:

I know you can request the strikes from the laptops, but thought those were a standard function of the Arma Server and didn't actually get launched from those vehicles. (e.g. make a blank Altis map, and go into Zeus with Ares mod, you can call the same list of strikes as from the laptops, without placing any sochor or sandstorms) Which is why I assumed those 2 were actually sim disabled. I thought it was just the Cheetah which was the base AA defence (with the script sim enabling it when the AA is turned on)

I know for sure that the aa script spawns the cheetah whenever you activate it and despawn it after a certain amount of time.  And from quickly glancing at the support-scripts i believe the arty actually fires.  This is actually an easy fix to prevent people from calling arty on the base as the arty just can't target it.

That's actually a better fix.  But i'd put it in the onPlayerRespawn.sqf (if it can be put there, some things freak if you don't put them in an init file).  Making sure that you have plenty and replenish it every respawn.

8 minutes ago, Nibbs said:

Well that confuses me more then, Because I didn't think the Sochor had the range to cover the whole of Altis from where it is. I don't doubt you're right, just surprised.

Just came back from the editor.  If you take the Sochor and put it at max range the first thing that you can shoot at that isn't too close is the bomos island  (Most NW island).  Everything else is too close.

Presumably this would also alleviate the issue of people being unable to board helicopters with TK-flagged players in them?

I can't say for sure, but worth it if it fixes that, too.

i'd put it in the onPlayerRespawn.sqf

Yeah, you could put it there, but if you go through ten million rating in a single session, perhaps you deserve to be blasted by a friendly Sochor.