Friendly Fire incidents: how to deal with them?

Liru the Lcpl.

I was hoping I never had to ask this question, but after three separate friendly fire incidents (two of which I ended up having to kill a teammate in either self defense or the defense of others) and I just wanted to know what to do with these insubordinates if no administrator is either available or competent enough to deal with the situation. Thanks in advance! B) 

-Lcpl Liru

You can report said player(s) after the event here: http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/pr/

If there are no admins around then there isn't much you can do, try and avoid killing them if you can as that can sometimes lead to a ban for you. Take screenshots so that the admins have good evidence when it comes to a report, and just keep checking teamspeak, there aren't many times when there aren't any admins or moderators around!

You can report said player(s) after the event here: http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/pr/

If there are no admins around then there isn't much you can do, try and avoid killing them if you can as that can sometimes lead to a ban for you. Take screenshots so that the admins have good evidence when it comes to a report, and just keep checking teamspeak, there aren't many times when there aren't any admins or moderators around!

This 100%.

There are times of day when Admin are occupied with things, like eating, sleeping, living, and are therefore unable to deal with these incidents.

Retaliating, even as self-defense, is frowned upon and so should be avoided completely. I myself have had to remind people that it's never OK to teamkill on AW servers.

Using the PLAYER TOOLS tab, at the top of the page, is the most effective way to help admin deal with these situations/people.

I use OBS to record incidents like these and, sometimes, use it 'after-the-fact' to scroll back through the chat and document certain incidents.

Failing that, a simple screen shot with a detailed explaination - showing time, date, names and WHICH SERVER- can help the Admin to look back through the logs and find the culprits.

Unfortunately on public servers you get some who are only interested in disrupting others enjoyment but, the Community as-a-whole and, the Staff here are pretty understanding and vigilant.

As long as we all do our part things will run smoothly.

Just remember these things can't be avoided but, if handled professionally/with restraint, they can be reduced and dealt with effectively.

Theres been issues over the last couple of nights, and, although its a shame I wasn't recording, the player report stuff comes in very handy. 

If I get time straight away, I use it then (normally if I've been TK'd, as I was a couple of days ago).

There is a player who is treading very close to the line, and whilst his behaviour isn't ban worthy yet, he has already been warned for his behaviour on EU2 by several of the hierarchy (Spartans and Field Ambassadors IIRC), as well as normal players, and, it doesn't seem to have sunk in at all. Some players won't change their way of playing, no matter what they see on the ground in front of them.

I can tell you about a situation i had about one week ago. I were playing on EU1 with a friend for about 2 hours. Then a player, (i tell his name because i think this one is not worth to be protected by what this person did) called CanSa connected to the server. A few minutes later maybe because this player could not understand how I&A is meant to be played, this player startet attacking every player on the server at the spawning position in the main base (about 100 teamkills in 5 minutes). This player destroyed helicopters, vehicles and killed players with a Mora. Maybe someone of you have also been on the server when this happend.

I got to the Teamspeak and talked to the first admin i have seen. Then it took about 5 minutes and this player got a Ban from this admin.

So i think, if you see someone teamkilling then the first thing you should try is to catch an admin at TS3. I am almost every day at the TS3 channel and there are not many daytimes where you can`t reach an admin immediately.

If you tk for reasons like self defense you run the risk of getting banned yourself. Picture this I'm told there's tking going on in eu1 I hop on announce that tking is not allowed. Then I see that someone has just tked again it may be for "self defense" but our rules could not be clearer that person may very well end up with a ban.

Uhm ... so i better not voice my opinion on this - by now most are aware of how i deal with such situations - which is getting a admin to deal with it shortly.

But on the other hand,if you dont get hold of a admin quickly you could use the "report" feature to get the case reviewed,meanwhile the "offender" rampages on and you have to take the beatings ... OR ...

Let me tell you the tale of yesterdays and todays events i witnessed/was part of :

I played early and got me hands on a T100 i used for several AO´s and sides as usual,so no big thing there and i dont even recall anymore how the story really started but this guy (which name(s) i wont mention here,as MK already dealt with it today - cheers again ;) ) parked nxt to me and another guy that was with me in the T100 and drove it off our established VAS pos in base in order to fkk us up in our ride.

Which didnt really go down that easily as we managed to reflipp the tank and this very guy then tried to use a Mora to fire and destroy the T100 i was using as he couldnt get it ...

I parked then outside base watchign his moves and telling him in chat that this wouldnt go down like he expected and trying to get him settled - but to no luck.

I couldnt get hold of a admin at this early time,took some evidence screens,told an AHOY member on my friends list what happend and then took the kill shot.

3 times.

As he would not stop.

Today,early morning again,i joined this guy was pilot.

So,i took it no harm from him today,he learned his lesson ... i assumed.

About 1h later i was helping a guy refueling the Cheetah on the service pad when i got rammed by a bobcat,driven by this very guy under different nickname (suspected this already) - he managed to flip a Slammer a guy used,killed me,then disconnected.

About an hour later i was asking Luft if he can get hold of an admin and 2min later MK dealt with the situation.

This isnt exactly how the whole story went,but it gives you an idea of (at times) self-defence (to an extend) could/should be tolerated.

I m fully aware of the rules and i (admit) bending/breaking the rules on (certain) times ... and i m totally fine receiving a ban having done so - rules are there to obey and are NOT arguable at all,still - from various years in the MP buisness in ARMA (before and after) i will execute my rule of preventing me/my team/my equipment from being harmed by retards.

// disclaimer >  own opinion - do not take advise,you ve been warned //  

FINAL POINTS :

What would of prevented this from happening :

- i could of reported the incident yesterday myself via the report feature

- i could of joined TS in the evenings to make a admin aware of the incident

SUMMARUM :

- justice wheels work slow at times,but they work

- dont get to attached to your gear

- you will die (sooner or later anyway ingame)

- enjoy the game

ChrisRock-ObeyTheLaw.JPG

Sincerly yours

If you tk for reasons like self defense you run the risk of getting banned yourself. Picture this I'm told there's tking going on in eu1 I hop on announce that tking is not allowed. Then I see that someone has just tked again it may be for "self defense" but our rules could not be clearer that person may very well end up with a ban.

I would at least hope you ask what's going on before you take any action. 9/10 times it will just be some idiot tking but that 1/10 is the people who are trying to defend themselves.

Uhm ... so i better not voice my opinion on this - by now most are aware of how i deal with such situations - which is getting a admin to deal with it shortly.

But on the other hand,if you dont get hold of a admin quickly you could use the "report" feature to get the case reviewed,meanwhile the "offender" rampages on and you have to take the beatings ... OR ...

Let me tell you the tale of yesterdays and todays events i witnessed/was part of :

I played early and got me hands on a T100 i used for several AO´s and sides as usual,so no big thing there and i dont even recall anymore how the story really started but this guy (which name(s) i wont mention here,as MK already dealt with it today - cheers again ;) ) parked nxt to me and another guy that was with me in the T100 and drove it off our established VAS pos in base in order to fkk us up in our ride.

Which didnt really go down that easily as we managed to reflipp the tank and this very guy then tried to use a Mora to fire and destroy the T100 i was using as he couldnt get it ...

I parked then outside base watchign his moves and telling him in chat that this wouldnt go down like he expected and trying to get him settled - but to no luck.

I couldnt get hold of a admin at this early time,took some evidence screens,told an AHOY member on my friends list what happend and then took the kill shot.

3 times.

As he would not stop.

Today,early morning again,i joined this guy was pilot.

So,i took it no harm from him today,he learned his lesson ... i assumed.

About 1h later i was helping a guy refueling the Cheetah on the service pad when i got rammed by a bobcat,driven by this very guy under different nickname (suspected this already) - he managed to flip a Slammer a guy used,killed me,then disconnected.

About an hour later i was asking Luft if he can get hold of an admin and 2min later MK dealt with the situation.

This isnt exactly how the whole story went,but it gives you an idea of (at times) self-defence (to an extend) could/should be tolerated.

I m fully aware of the rules and i (admit) bending/breaking the rules on (certain) times ... and i m totally fine receiving a ban having done so - rules are there to obey and are NOT arguable at all,still - from various years in the MP buisness in ARMA (before and after) i will execute my rule of preventing me/my team/my equipment from being harmed by retards.

// disclaimer >  own opinion - do not take advise,you ve been warned //  

FINAL POINTS :

What would of prevented this from happening :

- i could of reported the incident yesterday myself via the report feature

- i could of joined TS in the evenings to make a admin aware of the incident

SUMMARUM :

- justice wheels work slow at times,but they work

- dont get to attached to your gear

- you will die (sooner or later anyway ingame)

- enjoy the game

Sincerly yours

This is exactly what I am talking about, though in your situation it seems alright. I would assume I'll just hope on TS and bug an admin for the quickest response. I'm not too great at taking screenshots of such incidents, my trigger finger is too fast, but if I see a streak like I did yesterday I'll be sure to make the proper documentation. Thanks for the clarifications everyone!

It used to be possible to deal with situations like this by taking the UAV op slot and repeatedly using the UGV or Greyhawks to pummel the TKer into submission, without incurring any actual logged TKs.

Not sure if it still is. Obviously you shouldn't do this btw.