Stepping Stone [Rewritten]

xSniper1982

Question

Topic has been Locked

This thread is a rewritten thread concerning the idea of a Stepping Stone Server, first proposed by Giddy.
And will hopefully remove some of the off topic/non-constructive posts therein.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do players of EU 1/2 like the idea of a Server with light Mods enabled.
ACE and ACRE are the current proposed Mods to try.

It will be a more immersive experience than EU 1/2, but without the heavy load or complex structure of EU 3.

To be clear, This WILL NOT affect EU#3 players, so please do not derail the thread with comments about how;

"it's just a lighter version of EU 3, so why not promote EU 3 instead...."

This is a thread for players of EU 1/2 to express thier views on having a little more from their ARMA experience in AhoyWorld.

15 answers to this question

ACE is fairly modular, many of the more advanced systems can be toned down or entirely disabled.

ACRE is a bit of a different beast, and speaking as a regular user of it, will be hard to incorporate without also having some manner of prearranged structure, in effect a rank system.

I see no reason to oppose such a server, but it has to be pointed out that the idea of using ACRE and expecting what I might describe as a "loose gameplay structure" seems somewhat unreasonable from the perspective of an avid ACRE user.

I have played in a lot of servers in arma 2 with acre and a loose gameplay structure is possible. The only structure you will need are the radio's for the pilots and the guys on the ground to communicate. 

I think that the EU 3 players are kind of bias to this idea to be completely honest. And the other topic got a little too cluttered with arguments so lets try to avoid that this time. 

You'll need some way to govern what channel people choose to go on. Add to that, when you get a newbie coming in, you're gonna have a major issue getting him on the right channel, let alone ensuring that he even knows how ACRE works in the first place.

You're also gonna be dealing with terrain obstruction, which is gonna make communications between teams on the ground a lot more difficult than you're used to.

The list goes on.

If you can make it work, more power to you, but there's a reason why so many of the people actually using ACRE are shaking their heads at this.

I think that the EU 3 players are kind of bias to this idea to be completely honest. 

So far I haven't seen anyone from EU3 mentioning it in this topic and I think bringing this up again might disrupt the thread.

There is a certain complication to using ACRE "loosely." I'd like to ask first if the implications are clear to the ones wanting this server. Do you know about directional sound, terrain occlusion, static and voice volume? There comes a certain necessity for discipline with these things when you have 40 guys on the same channel, especially with full-duplex magic radios.

So, to be clear, EU3 players are not entitled to express their opinions in this thread?

- R

Not at all, you're welcome to express opinions, as long as it is in a constructive manner, and on topic.

This is about giving EU 1/2 players a more engaging experience, and it's frustating for them when EU 3 players come on and tell them that they shouldn't get that.

We more than welcome the advice of EU 3 players, so long as it doesn't derail the thread.

You can't just wish for a server and it will appear. Takes time, work to make something like that happen. Someone has to build/maintain the mission. Someone has to keep the mods up to date.

Keeping the mods under 2gb may be difficult depending on what mods you want.

ofc you cant just wish for a server and  thats why people are making the forum threads so the community knows and some of the community members can help out with it.

" The mods we were thinking of using would be a Weapon's pack, Weapon Attachment pack, Uniform pack, Some form of a vehicle pack and less intrusive form of acre 2"

How can you fit that in 2 gb?

I do not see that in this thread....

It was mentioned earlier in the first thread, but was revised later in that thread...

AS I STATED ABOVE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC AND CONSTRUCTIVE....

If you have no input on how to help make this work, or you are not interested in it..

THEN STOP COMMENTING NEEDLESSLY

It only leads to the topic being derailed.

I would like to ask the admin to remove any negative comments that do not help in a constructive way or that will lead to the thread being derailed.