ace_medical_statemachine_fatalInjuriesAI 0

• Cardiac arrest timer: 2 minutes 30 seconds 
    ace_medial_statemachine_cardiacArrestTime 150

• Bleedout during cardiac arrest: true 
    ace_medical_statemachine_cardiacArrestBleedoutEnabled true

• Consume surgical kits: false 
    ace_medical_treatment_consumeSurgicalKit false

3. /

4. We all share the Arma experience of dropping dead out of nowhere. To make our lives and the medic's job more meaningful, the settings above should entirely disallow damage sources from instantly killing players, and instead bring death from cardiac arrest or bleeding out during cardiac arrest, the latter being especially relevant to keep realism intact when you're hit by a tank.

Cardiac arrest time is brought down to reduce black-screened idle time. This also serves to reinforce sticking together as a team, because missing somebody going down leads to a quicker death. CPR still extends it, so a quick response can save lives.

Fatal injuries for players can then occur only during cardiac arrest. This means AI cannot instakill you, but they can double-tap. You can also die if caught uncon in an explosive barrage.

A .50 cal to the head will still give you a large wound, send you uncon, then into cardiac, and you bleed out within minutes. 

Fatal injuries for AI can always occur.

Lastly, with the increased length of your life, you will be a sieve sooner or later. Surgical kits will show their value there, and limiting them can feel overly punishing, so they're not consumed in this situation.

2m30 seems like a good cardiac arrest time. Long enough for a team to pull together and get you back up, but not so long that you get bored in a mascas where nobody can get you back up. We would need to consider the effect on the vortex role as reinserts will be less often (hopefully!) and so that role would need to expand to keep it entertaining - maybe it would become light CAS - in vanilla Arma terms, changing the role from flying Ghosthawks and Hummingbirds to flying Orcas and Hellcats.

Surgical kits are weird at the moment - medics typically carry one (because it's not a commonly used item, it's not worth carrying more than one) and when they are used, they just stop the stitching process before the kit gets consumed (because they only carry one!). I think this change would justify their use far more and make "the quiet bit between engagements" a more useful time for getting healed up and repacking mags etc, than it currently is, where you can get a bit bored.

3 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

Consume surgical kits: false 

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

I think this change would justify their use far more and make "the quiet bit between engagements" a more useful time for getting healed up

I agree.

I vote yes to all of this.

3 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

Fatal injuries for players can then occur only during cardiac arrest. This means AI cannot instakill you, but they can double-tap. You can also die if caught uncon in an explosive barrage.

A .50 cal to the head will still give you a large wound, send you uncon, then into cardiac, and you bleed out within minutes.

Im probably one of the few odd ones out that enjoys getting one shot when its to the face or a 50cal an up like a tank shell. 

I could go on a path of significantly less players dyeing = slots running reinserts suffering heavily. But its mostly just me liking the aspect of if im shot in the head or by something the size of my arm, an explosion, etc and just flopping over instant dead is more fun than complete arcade walk it off.

14 minutes ago, LH5 said:

I could go on a path of significantly less players dyeing = slots running reinserts suffering heavily.

This is true and I'm honestly not sure how gameplay will change because of it, but William has a good picture. People will still die, especially as there is only one medic per squad. If every fireteam had one, I'd be more concerned.

But its mostly just me liking the aspect of if im shot in the head or by something the size of my arm, an explosion, etc and just flopping over instant dead is more fun than complete arcade walk it off.

Luckily you now also ragdoll when you go unconscious, so you go all floppy either way! You will not be able to walk off a Browning to the face. It will still mess you up. There is a good chance you die from one bullet, you just get to see a black screen first. In fact you'll probably bleed out before your cardiac arrest timer hits 0.

The suspense of disbelief here is a price I'm personally happy to pay if it means we can make all the rest of it more fun.  

22 hours ago, SkullCollector said:

Luckily you now also ragdoll when you go unconscious, so you go all floppy either way! You will not be able to walk off a Browning to the face. It will still mess you up. There is a good chance you die from one bullet, you just get to see a black screen first. In fact you'll probably bleed out before your cardiac arrest timer hits 0.

The suspense of disbelief here is a price I'm personally happy to pay if it means we can make all the rest of it more fun.  

Wouldn't this mean we get punished for dying? Instead of dying instantly, we are stuck on a 2 min 30 sec timer where we can sit and be bored while medics treats us?

• 4 weeks later...