Destroy Weapon Shipment + make it more eZ

TheScar

Question

Current (side) mission where you have to locate a crate in a urban city setting (area patrols + hidden fighter´s in houses).

Fighting the resistance forces aint that hard but finding the crate currently is a pain in the a** if you either solo or with a bunch of pubs.

Luck is your best partner on this one,too.

Back in A2 in the "Insurgency"original there was the option to have killed enemies drop hints in form of a white suitcase that revealed either range of crate area current or highlighted a certain area of the mission setting with different color to make finding the crate quicker.

Propably restrict the option to drop Intel hints to Officers only (similar to the way "Secure Intel" works)

I´d approve having the option to involve the civ´s on this mission for just that task (interact with em > they give Intel on crate location).

This might also stop the fetish of killing civ´s just out of boredom and depression of not finding the crate in acceptable time.

I´m quite sure this requires a update/enhanced scripting to the current existing (side) mission but i m also sure that this way will be more attracting than current.

Head´s up ...

6 answers to this question

Right, what I've thrown together:

Enemy officers and squad leaders that have been killed will have a scroll wheel option to search their bodies for intel.  You'll also be able to talk to civies and ask for intel.  (civies have to be alive to talk to them, enemies have to be dead to search their corpse :))  
When searching an enemy corpse you have a 60% chance of finding intel, when talking to civies a 50% chance.  
When you find intel the map will be updated, the current hint square will be reduced by 20%  (20% of the current size of the square, not 20% of the size of the original square).

These numbers are open for tweaking.  It will be added in I&A 3.3.7.

6 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Enemy officers and squad leaders that have been killed will have a scroll wheel option to search their bodies for intel.

I do see issues with this method as by the to quick despawning corpses they intel will vanish too and for the generic public player it ll take weeks to even check dead corpses for intel.

For this reason i´d prefer the method i mentioned in OP that was used in the original Insurgency mission @ A2 which will let (killed) enemies drop a white suitcase (click link below for a read up + screens) which has a far greater chance to be investigated than searching corpses (EU3#style).

After all,the mission shall attract the random pub as well as the elitist nolifer to have a go at it.

+ keep it simple (as far as that´s a criteria)

Insurgency guideline + read up + screenshots pre galore#

page 3 point 2.4

discussion about HOW TO @ suitcases

6 hours ago, Stanhope said:

You'll also be able to talk to civies and ask for intel.  (civies have to be alive to talk to them, enemies have to be dead to search their corpse

I´d like that (additional) method too,but - thinking about it isnt the civ´s behaviour to run away if the face armed mobs?

Behaviour check ftw pls.

7 hours ago, Stanhope said:

When you find intel the map will be updated, the current hint square will be reduced by 20%  (20% of the current size of the square, not 20% of the size of the original square).

Can we settle for distance to cache in meter ?

Again propably very similar to Insurgency,the more intel you cap the more exactly the distances get?

I m not even starting to think about the number of markers possible nor the displayed hint ... (yet)

10 minutes ago, TheScar said:

Can we settle for distance to cache in meter ?

Again propably very similar to Insurgency,the more intel you cap the more exactly the distances get?

I m not even starting to think about the number of markers possible nor the displayed hint ... (yet)

That'd require me to run even more scripts.  Right now I'm just resetting the size of a marker and moving it back over the objective.  I've managed to pinpoint the exact building (down to the exact room) after finding 4 pieces of intel.  Distance in meters could be an alternative yes but that isn't as easy as this in my opinion.  Both gameplay as scripting wise.  

12 minutes ago, TheScar said:

I´d like that (additional) method too,but - thinking about it isnt the civ´s behaviour to run away if the face armed mobs?

Behaviour check ftw pls.

The action used to talk to civies only takes 2 seconds to complete and has a reach of 7 meters.  Unless they are going in full sprint you're able to talk to them.  It's not gonna be easy tho :)  

15 minutes ago, TheScar said:

I do see issues with this method as by the to quick despawning corpses they intel will vanish too and for the generic public player it ll take weeks to even check dead corpses for intel.

For this reason i´d prefer the method i mentioned in OP that was used in the original Insurgency mission @ A2 which will let (killed) enemies drop a white suitcase (click link below for a read up + screens) which has a far greater chance to be investigated than searching corpses (EU3#style).

After all,the mission shall attract the random pub as well as the elitist nolifer to have a go at it.

+ keep it simple (as far as that´s a criteria)

Insurgency guideline + read up + screenshots pre galore#

page 3 point 2.4

discussion about HOW TO @ suitcases

CleanupScript runs every 6-10 minutes deleting all the corpses.  Yes it will happen that you kill someone and their corpse disappears within seconds.  However, for now, I'm gonna keep it this way. If the concept of intel catches I'll rewrite it to make corpses drop objects like a briefcase that you can pick up to narrow the search area.  

For reference this is how exact I narrowed down the caches location:
4C50D99C501E87E1BC8F45C2DE0589D137FDABE0

After I found intel I drew the outline of the current hint-square on the map.  Seeing how the map marker shrinks and repositions you'll eventually get 1 small area where they all those markers were at one point in time.  And yes, the cache was indeed in the SW-ern part of the building I'm standing in on that picture.  As you can see I only needed 4 pieces of intel to pinpoint the exact location.

11 hours ago, Stanhope said:

CleanupScript runs every 6-10 minutes deleting all the corpses.  Yes it will happen that you kill someone and their corpse disappears within seconds.  However, for now, I'm gonna keep it this way. If the concept of intel catches I'll rewrite it to make corpses drop objects like a briefcase that you can pick up to narrow the search area.  

i 2nd that approach

11 hours ago, Stanhope said:

For reference this is how exact I narrowed down the caches location:

// snip screenshot

After I found intel I drew the outline of the current hint-square on the map.  Seeing how the map marker shrinks and repositions you'll eventually get 1 small area where they all those markers were at one point in time.  And yes, the cache was indeed in the SW-ern part of the building I'm standing in on that picture.  As you can see I only needed 4 pieces of intel to pinpoint the exact location.

Your screenshot shows my main problem with the current mission - there s a shitload of houses to check in such a city,easily 40+ which is a ridicoulous amount to maintain fun  in the mission.

Back in the original version (Kavalalalala + Pygros) the crate was positioned outside and if i recall correct it was a red cargo crate that usually stood out when checking perimeter and you had less house to house search action while keeping the CQC action high by hidden fighters in houses.

Which focused the mission 85% on urban warfare for infantry units and only 15% on locating the objective.

Vehicles had no use in the orginal too due to the low firefield in those big citys.

By changing/adding other locations the mission drastically changed to a painfull search for hours for a yellow/beige vehicle crate INSIDE a house in a area with hostile patrols and hidden shooters.

Now you can also setup on a hill with your Hunter HMG/APC/MBT and mopp up anything that moves like on a usual AO,the RPG infidels are literally no harm if not close up.

My point is that this mission was/is/should be a infantry job focused mission only to break up the usual routine of side missions (get there,kill armor,clear out and complete obvious target).

Now back to the screenshot and the  square marker/hints being revealed by finding/getting Intel.

Imo 2 of those 4 squares are useless hence i prefer a meter distance script so you can triangle the location by getting min. 2 preferably 3 Intel/hints.

Add´s some mindwork too.

You r correct that it requires yet another script being run for this job,but isnt it possible of breeding the current existing way of receiving Intel by using part scripts from the SECURE INTEL side mission?

Yea ... even more work - i know.

Spoiler

#I+A4

#1base

#rework

Well,for now - some of my thougts about this.

I know there s more to say but i m currently @work

No offense also,reading over my posts i notice i could add some emoticons to not look like a continuesly bitching prick over minor stuff ...

But well,why change old habit´s - right ?

NSFW:

Spoiler

3GjYH8.gif

#KINGPIN

go see that movie!