Altis Main Base discussion/poll

Selakano or closer?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep using Selakano Airfield as our main base of operations on Altis \\OR// move to an airfield closer to the center of of the island itself.

• Stay at Selakano Airfield
    • Move to a closer location

Greeting AWE players everywhere,

I've recently been informed that some players on the server are not be too happy with the current main spawn location on Stiletto's Altis version. The majority of the arguments made regarding the use of Selakano Airfield as a main operating base revolve around the point that Selakano is too far of a ride from the rest of Altis. 

While I personally find this distance beneficial to interesting gameplay in a great many ways, the comments are wide open for well-welcomed discussion and I have made a poll for people to vote over their opinion of changing to a different location or not. If the poll results turn out that most people want to change location, I expect discussion will be made over the available locations and then polled upon again for each possibility (don't quote me on that though).

Additionally, I will break down and attempt to simplify my personal take on the use of the Selakano Airbase and my proposed gameplay benefits of its implementation.

By having an airfield that isn't in the center of the map like EU#3 had done many-a-time in the past, there are many benefits such as:

• Bring much greater use and necessity to Vortex elements, not only for the basic, mundane "CAS or Transport", but resupplies as well, for FOBs, medics, stranded tank crews (you get the idea) due to the larger operating distance from base.
  • On the topic of FOBs, Logistics is incredibly useful element, as a second/third/forth etc. FOB infantry spawn where players can resupply, heal and seek safety brings incomprehensibly more gameplay situations into the mix (Case in point; when we took Stratis with Ryko and myself leading).
  • Branching off from this point, Logi will not only be used more, but also in many more ways, such as ground transportation (using flatbed Humvees and such) for reinserts, but also focusing on defending the FOB itself, if located next to a dangerous/hostile town (thanks to the multidimentional mission that is Stiletto).
  • Maritime engagements and transportation is often a imperative tool for infantry stationed at Selakano Airfield, as often when an objective is at the Western side of Altis, it is faster to cross the Pygos Gulf than it is to drive around it. This means that naval warfare, or use in general, is commonly a requirement of many situations, therefore increasing the multi-dimensional gameplay found on Stiletto from simply "Lets just fly there" to "Okay, we'll do a beach landing, here's the plan" kinda stuff. The use of naval vehicles is also a lot safer than passing through towns in a convoy or landing less than a 1km from the AO.
  • A bit more of an ambiguous point, but by having the spawn so far away, I think it actually gives players a much higher value for their own life and therefore increases immersion through the fear of death as players really don't want to have to be transported all the way back in again.
  • This distance also makes ground convoys infinitely more interesting, as elements will have to plan out routes, stop points, clear towns, pack extra ammo for the long journey, secure LZs en-route for reinserts and resupplies etc. etc. Compared to having a main-base in the center of the map where players can just hop in a Humvee and be there in two minutes with little to no planning, I think this way is incredibly more fun.
  • Actual use of the USS Freedom due to the fact that Selakano is actually quite close to the Freedom (the idea being that the US troops landed from the Freedom at the South East most peninsular and took the Airfield for main operations.
  • Much more immersive location for BLUFOR when it comes to the type of mission that Stiletto is. Think of it like this, if we owned the main airbase on Altis, would we be constantly hit by T-72s, Mi-8s and Su-25s? I very much doubt it. Additionally, if we have already 'taken' Altis by taking the main airbase, it is highly unlikely there would be such civilian uprising against us, as this would have already been dealt with. The basic premise of Stiletto is that we, BLUFOR, are actually the underdogs in the location. We are outnumbered and often out-armed (tanks, aircraft, etc.) therefore by using Altis Main Airbase as our spawn location, it makes this mission premise much less believable or enjoyable.

While I do, personally, enjoy the idea of new base locations for Stilleto, I would want them to fulfill all the points I just made if ever used as I, myself, feel that to be the most enjoyable and "multidimensional" way to play Stiletto.

Additionally, nothing is actually stopping players from setting up their own FOB locations to take a different spin on Altis (if they are bored of Selakano) by simply using Logistics. I would, personally, greatly promote the idea of players using Logi to set up FOBs all over Altis in a sort of side-mission attempt to capture the island.

However, I love Selakano airfield as the main spawn and starting point where players begin to branch out towards the rest of the Altis. This is something I would want to remain constant.

Again, feel free to vote and comment your own topical ideas over the matter. Thanks for your interest,

- Johnson

I personally feel that the runway at the current airfield is fine.  I can take the vanilla A-10 and blackwasp off from it without doing anything special.  And seeing how we don't have any planes nor plane spawner nor plane service pad at that base there isn't really a need for it anyway. 

I would suggest adding at least a service pad at the airfield tho as not all jet can land on the carrier.  

(And if stuff is getting changed i might suggest removing some of the unnecessary grass cutters and other objects around base.  Some of them are just plain useless as we can't even see them from spawn so they don't even serve an esthetic purpose)

Just my 2 cents as a player.

5 hours ago, BloodInTheSand said:

I personally prefer the airfield on the northeastern most point on the map. Still far out but a much more manageable sized runway for jets to take off and land if necessary 

I agree, that would certainly be my second choice if a change was decided upon.

5 hours ago, Stanhope said:

I personally feel that the runway at the current airfield is fine.  I can take the vanilla A-10 and blackwasp off from it without doing anything special.  And seeing how we don't have any planes nor plane spawner nor plane service pad at that base there isn't really a need for it anyway. 

I would suggest adding at least a service pad at the airfield tho as not all jet can land on the carrier.  

(And if stuff is getting changed i might suggest removing some of the unnecessary grass cutters and other objects around base.  Some of them are just plain useless as we can't even see them from spawn so they don't even serve an esthetic purpose)

Just my 2 cents as a player.

I agree, but this would hopefully be met with the idea that only an experienced pilot should use this runway if in a fixed wing, non-naval aircraft.

When we have a good Vortex online I don´t mind where the base is...if we don´t then I´ll probably just play something else or text the whole driving time because I am not a fan of convoying/driving to missions that are far away

48 minutes ago, J0hnson said:

...the idea that only an experienced pilot should use this runway...

I´d argue that only experienced pilots should be pilots on AWE anyways (...at least I don´t want to have someone like me in CAS:lol:)

We do not need to move. If we get more players on the server, which hopefully people should happen unless some players dont want to play on certain missions because the base is too far, then we can utilize the use of Logi more often.

This allows us to set up new bases in a more immersive way while also playing the mission in progress. 

When Johnson was Squadleading on Stratis and we had a full alpha, a logistics team setting up camp and Vortex teams assisting both elements, that was great. It gives the mission a LARGER feeling while still retaining a small player base, really makes you feel like your doing something. Plus you should feel good when you utilize logi and alpha, it's something that is rarely done nowadays and something that isn't always easy to work with and one should give themselves a pat on the back when it's done well.

To reiterate, moving the base is non-essential and pretty irrelevant to making the gameplay better, we as the players working together can make the gameplay better rather than relying on it to be layed out neatly for us.

Additionally, if you take time to read Johnson's post, his many points do make the idea to move pretty irrelevant.