EU2 and teamspeak

stiansn

Question

11 answers to this question

If we would make is compulsory for people to be on teamspeak most will not care and find a different community and of course we dont want that. Like Shorts said EU3 is used for teamspeak. Also it will be impossible to police as there are so many people coming and going 24/7 we couldnt keep track on whose on teamspeak and whose not. And what do you mean by something in between EU2 and EU3? 

Chuck :)

Well EU3 have very strict rules on the use of Teamspeak / Radio and through the chain of command, as I understand it. While the EU 2 there is nothing that requires us to work together.

I understand that it may be very difficult to implement

Stian

I think the main issue with this is that EU2 is more of a "public" server, meaning that anyone can play regardless of whether the can / want to use teamspeak or not. This sort of server cannot "force" people to work together, since that would go against the very idea. Sadly it does mean that the play style on these servers will never have quite as much teamwork as EU3, but that's just the way it goes.

Also, everything Chuck said  :P

Pilots should be on TS for better use but i still find that there is not much activity on TS by any of all classes. would be kinda hard with 20+ members in each channel of EU1/2 when everyone would be constantly talking over eachother.

I think the group management system implemented in the game is a better way for more coordinated communication when playing with a smaller squad

Come and join EU3 sometimes, i am sure you'll love it ;)

I agree with lexota that in-game sidechat is solid for talking in squads.

TS could be nice for when some bigger events (Zeus) are happening.

BTW: when Zeus is up, there is always password-locked room in TS - how do I get the password / sign up for the zeus event ?

Pilots should be on TS for better use but i still find that there is not much activity on TS by any of all classes. would be kinda hard with 20+ members in each channel of EU1/2 when everyone would be constantly talking over eachother.

I think the group management system implemented in the game is a better way for more coordinated communication when playing with a smaller squad

Come and join EU3 sometimes, i am sure you'll love it ;)

I agree that TS can get rather cluttered with chatter when it gets a little more populated.

I also agree that the ingame Group comms are good for use.

However -

the ingame comms can be very tempremental, and at times so bad people end up having to type out information during a firefight.

Teamspeak -

although it can be cluttered, there is the option to have more than one channel, to split the groups into...

If you're ever in there, you will see Potato Squad is usually in it's own Channel, if not in 2 Channels,

with the ingame comms used by the Squad Leaders/Seconds to relay information/orders between the 2 squads.

I would like to see more people in Teamspeak as it makes requesting support etc a much easier task, (Just look at how smoothly things work during Zeus Nights)

and once more people begin to use it, they will see the benefit.

If it cost people money to use Teamspeak, I could agree not to make it a more prevelant feature,

but seeing as using Teamspeak is free then I think a little more of a 'nudge' would be advantageous.

I'm not thinking that it should be a must for everyone...

But at least for Squad Leaders, UAV, Fire Support, Vortex... using Teamspeak would REALLY help with the flow of the game,

and has proven to reduce the number of Friendly Fire incidents, which will in turn reduce the amount of confusion and confrontation in game...

further reducing the need for Admin 'policing' of minor infractions.

The roles I tend to play are Sniper, CLS, Repair...

and for all of these roles I have found TS to be a valuable tool.

Others might see more benefit in having it once they experience it for themselves,

at the moment most people don't even read the messages on the map, or on the screen in the pop ups,

they just see them as an annoyance, and that's a little heartbreaking.

Asking in a different 'tone', for example -

"Could Recon, Engineers and Medics PLEASE join >>Teamspeak Channel<< to help with Communication, this saves time and, makes it more fun for everyone"

or

"Could Pilots, UAV Operators and Fire Support Teams, PLEASE join >>Teamspeak Channel<< to be given Transport and Support requests more efficiently"

It's polite, and friendly, it isn't TELLING them to do it, or restricting their options, it just explains a little more as to why using Teamspeak can be better for the

flow of the game, and how it can help make things more fun. Waiting for 5 minutes for a Medic to notice that you are down, or to request an extraction is something that frustrates a lot of players, and negatively impacts on their gameplay experience, Teamspeak can help with that, but only if it's 'promoted' in a way that makes them see it's benefits.

Sorry for the essay, it wasn't intended to be this long, but as I started typing I thought of more to say, and things I thought the Adnim/Staff might find useful, so it became somewhat of a short story.. :D

Edited to add -

kman - if you see a locked channel like -Potato Squad- feel free to 'poke' someone in the room and ask if you can join them, sometimes there are spaces, and sometimes the rooms are locked once they reach a certain number of people to prevent too much chatter.

But it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by xSniper1982

If it cost people money to use Teamspeak, I could agree not to make it a more prevelant feature,

but seeing as using Teamspeak is free then I think a little more of a 'nudge' would be advantageous.

Thats exactly what i don't get in the first place. Gamers without a mic/headset? o_O especially for a game like ArmA :)

Not a problem on EU3 but on EU1/2 people really expect for other players to be constantly reading all the chat when they are asking  for anything and then get upset when you missed it cause your focussed on other things.

Also, Potato squad is a good idea to make the public servers more fun to play on ;) you just got to spread the the word for all people who don't like the lonewolf style.

Grts Lex

People really expect for other players to be constantly reading all the chat when they are asking  for anything and then get upset when you missed it cause your focussed on other things.

That is horrible when you're buissy doing things. I usually fly the hummingbird (if possible), and you simply cannot fly low and safe and at the same time keep an constant  eye on the chat. If you lose focus for a second too long, you've either hit a tree, a hill or a powerline. You're usually already buissy enough with looking at the map (a few seconds at the time) and trying to find a good LZ and approach, while at the same time talking to the crew.

We had a Zeus mission in which we were supposed to strike at several bases, and keep them. During that mission we pilots had to be everywhere at the same time, had to keep an konstant eye on the chat and be on constant standby to move troops and drop supplies. The only reson why we accually managed to coordinate that was because all pilots were on TS. If you noticed that some guys needed a pilot while you were buissy doing something else, you could simply give the task to someone else.