More Ambulance Spawns and Better Ambulances.

TacticalError

Question

Hello,

Recently I've really liked driving around with the ambulance and reviving people, not using a gun. It's a very refreshing way to play arma and I&A (EU1) server is perfect for it when there are enough people. However the biggest and most annoying drawback is that the ambulance only spawns at the main base. Driving it from there every time I die is not really an option (I die fairly often, since I want to get everyone back on their feet, even in the middle of a enemy filled AO). It takes a lot of time and is very boring. Currently my workarounds have been to ask vortex to sling load the ambulance or paradrop it from the blackfish, but some pilots don't own the necessary DLC or have the skill to fly them. Second workaround is to ask a zeus to summon an ambulance (Thank you chicken and Artemis), but they are not always on and I would imagine it getting pretty annoying after a while.

Here is my solution.

First the long drive. I suggest that a ambulance would spawn on every fob, along side the hunters or prowlers that spawn there. But I think having multiple ambulances would ruin the uniqueness of it and would ruin ambulances. So there could be some system of choosing where the ambulance spawns next, selecting between the FOBs and the base. Maybe even have the ambulance  locked for a specific medic role that could choose the spawn for it.

Second, change it to the IDAP ambulance. Usually when a zeus summons a ambulance it's the IDAP one and not only a much prettier looking one, it also has togglable lights and sirens, which add immersion. Unlike the spam LMB to almost stay on sirens of the regular ambulance that spawns.  Also making sirens be a ON/OFF would make the drivers life a lot easier not having to spam LMB while driving and communicating. The lights just add immersion.

(I don't know how much vanilla vehicles can be edited, but a bulletproof windshield could come in handy :D )

Thank you, please consider.

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, TacticalError said:

it also has togglable lights and sirens, which add immersion

Many people are annoyed by people using these sirens unnecessarily, hence why they've been removed. 

4 minutes ago, TacticalError said:

Unlike the spam LMB to almost stay on sirens of the regular ambulance that spawns

I should look into disabling that actually. 

2 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Many people are annoyed by people using these sirens unnecessarily, hence why they've been removed. 

I get the point of them being really annoying if constantly unnecessarily spamming them, but I have a few reasons why they are good to have.

1. using them to alert players to not walk infront of the ambulance when there is an "emergency" (driving to a dead player at AO). Much like in real life.

In this situation toggleable sirens would allow the driver to focus on driving and communicating.

2. Some downed players might not hit the "force respawn" button if they hear from the sirens that a ambulance is on the way.

3. The LMB sirens work as a horn to alert vehicles blocking or players walking in the middle of the road, since the ambulance doesn't have a horn.

In my experience playing on the server (over a year or so, playing here and there), I've seen the ambulance be used by someone other than me twice. And in my time playing the ambulance, I have not heard anyone complain about my use of the sirens, most people have embraiced it. I get that not all people use the sirens like me and might over use them. Maybe making it clear that unnecessary use of sirens is not allowed, maybe with a punishment as a pop up notification when entering the ambulance could be enough.

But if the sirens are too much, at least give it the pretty light, otherwise it's just a van with some paint on it...

In the end sirens aren't the biggest issue of playing the ambulance at the moment it's the far away spawnpoint. 

On 3/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Stanhope said:

Please don't entirely remove the siren sounds, I do agree that the constant sound was very annoying at times when people used to joyride around the AO with it on all the time.  However I also agree with Tactical that it would spoil the ambulance to not at least have the LMB siren.

It would be great to have the extra spawning areas for them as I also find the long drive is often enough to stop me taking it.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, TacticalError said:

Maybe even have the ambulance  locked for a specific medic role that could choose the spawn for it.

Is it possible to lock it for medic types only?  That would make good sense.