Back to UAV's

Gremlin{GuyJustCool}

Question

So, the problem I encountered lately is that Greyhawks have only one auto land location - Almyra lake strip. Tho the Sentinel lands at terminal and Carrier at least, carrier being its resupply. To resupply greyhawks you have to land them manually  at the main base dirt strip, which is pretty irritating when players want you supporting their bottoms at the ground. 

So the idea is to ether add a resupply position to almyra lake, or to add landing autopilot for dirt, so you are not leaving off all the other UAV's while landing that pesky grayhawk.

8 answers to this question

I can understand what you are saying but you must have that 20-30 sec to land a UAV by your own that shouldn't be a problem.

Another problem is if there's an autoland function for the Grayhawks that the UAV Operator let the UAV land and blocks then entire runway

for other air vehicles and forget what he has done.

That's exactly the problem with the Carrier at the moment that UAV Operators let the Sentinel land and leave it there till a jet requests the UAV Operator 

to clear the runway.

Sorry for the bad english.

6 hours ago, Sentri said:

I can understand what you are saying but you must have that 20-30 sec to land a UAV by your own that shouldn't be a problem.

Another problem is if there's an autoland function for the Grayhawks that the UAV Operator let the UAV land and blocks then entire runway

for other air vehicles and forget what he has done.

That's exactly the problem with the Carrier at the moment that UAV Operators let the Sentinel land and leave it there till a jet requests the UAV Operator 

to clear the runway.

Sorry for the bad english.

Good point, Leaving them is something kickable in my opinion, I always fold sentinels wings and park him behind the rearm hemtts. 

20-30 seconds are too fast. In old mechanics it was possible, Not in new tho. Currently to do full landing sequence i need at least 1.5-3min(greyhawks love to gain speed on descent more than needed)

P.S. your english is ok :P, nothing to be sorry for.

Put your 'Hawk in a 500 meter loiter at 200 meters just north of base. Once you're ready to land it, take control and make your way to the runway. Before landing do two hard banks to bleed off your speed; you may nearly stall it, but if you're above 10 meters that won't matter.

Using autoland is akin to heli pilots using auto hover. Get in the editor and practice. Find your landing speeds and approaches. Dont worry, an hour or two in the editor and you wont even realise what the problem was. If you are still stuck seek me out on TS and I'll set up a small server and we'll do some training.

12 hours ago, Gremlin{GuyJustCool} said:

Good point, Leaving them is something kickable in my opinion, I always fold sentinels wings and park him behind the rearm hemtts. 

20-30 seconds are too fast. In old mechanics it was possible, Not in new tho. Currently to do full landing sequence i need at least 1.5-3min(greyhawks love to gain speed on descent more than needed)

P.S. your english is ok :P, nothing to be sorry for.

I personaly let them loiter at 50m near the base so I just have to land.

When I take them over they are usually about 150 km/h fast fine for me to land.

I have a hard time landing those small things. It not because I dont know anything about flying. On VATSIM and IVAO (Online flightsimulator) I have over 6000 flying hours and a lot of landings. The little UAV have such a flat angel when landing, it feels totally wrong for me. I guess with flaps out and gear down, it should have much more drag. So much that engine power is required.

I support the idea making the salt lake to a little UAV strip. As a UAV operator, I also want to dedicade my time to the airborne UAV.

I see nothing wrong in auto-landing. Commercial airliners have had the autoland for more than 20 years. It is said that the autoland is better than the pilots. 

BTW, good servers U have.

Shuenix

Problem is, that if we create that airstrip for UAVs specifically it will take out a few AOs. By a few I mean 3 or 4 which means less places to go to kill things. Another issue would be that it is an entire landing strip for 1 role to use and for 3 drones to use (unless rewards ofc). Also, it wouldnt be worth to have as an FOB as we already have too many so the auto land going to said airstrip is something that people will have to deal with. It wouldnt be worth the loss in gameplay to create a UAV specific strip, and if we were to create an FOB there then Last Stand would maybe have to be removed which in turn just isn't worth it as it is a much better location for an FOB than the flats. For now, as @Amentes said, just tell them to loiter near the airfield and get them to land manually. If done right, and first go you can do it in 20 seconds without fail and be up in the air in about 3 minutes including re-arm time.

On 05.07.2017 at 11:38 PM, Ziggy- said:

Using autoland is akin to heli pilots using auto hover. Get in the editor and practice. Find your landing speeds and approaches. Dont worry, an hour or two in the editor and you wont even realise what the problem was. If you are still stuck seek me out on TS and I'll set up a small server and we'll do some training.

Hey ziggs, Thanks, no offense, but it is not the problem here. I am talking about time the UAV takes to land manually. 

On 20.07.2017 at 7:55 PM, McKillen said:

Problem is, that if we create that airstrip for UAVs specifically it will take out a few AOs. By a few I mean 3 or 4 which means less places to go to kill things. Another issue would be that it is an entire landing strip for 1 role to use and for 3 drones to use (unless rewards ofc). Also, it wouldnt be worth to have as an FOB as we already have too many so the auto land going to said airstrip is something that people will have to deal with. It wouldnt be worth the loss in gameplay to create a UAV specific strip, and if we were to create an FOB there then Last Stand would maybe have to be removed which in turn just isn't worth it as it is a much better location for an FOB than the flats. For now, as @Amentes said, just tell them to loiter near the airfield and get them to land manually. If done right, and first go you can do it in 20 seconds without fail and be up in the air in about 3 minutes including re-arm time.

This clears it out for me completely. Salt lake AO's are clearly too big of a loss compared to the time of UAV m. landing.