VTOLs on I&A

Kyle Clements

Question

The new Tanoa map is amazing as well as all the new units, vehicles and weapons. However. There is a problem. The VTOLs. I have noticed in my time flying them that the CSAT one is VERY overpowered and the NATO ones (without the guns) are (IMO) underpowered. So what should we do? Because I don't think just excluding them from our arsenal is the answer. DISCUSS

8 answers to this question

Currently there is a Infantry Transport variant of the Blackfish on EU#2.
It respawns.
It gets crashed by lots of people. Usually they haven't flown it before.
Passengers complain about being 'too far away' from AO when dropping them.

It's a really great transport craft, but usually there aren't enough people around for it to be as effective as it could be. Most only get on for the experience of it, but really want fast close drops, which this bird is NOT designed for.

I agree with Sniper, the infantry transport certainly has it's uses, but they are quite rare and most of the time a helicopter would be a better choice. 

I would like to see it switched out to the vehicle transport version, as that has a very clear purpose and it isn't really possible to be wrongly used like the infantry transport often is.

The infantry transport could be made a reward vehicle (as well as the gunship??).

As Jason said, the vehicle transport vehicle actually could be a lot more useful. But it cannot transport any troops at all, except the ones who are in the vehicle. It also cannot transport a lot of them, as far as I know it can only transport up to Marshall, which is the lightest APC in the game. I kind of imagine it won't be used a lot, if at all. So perhaps we could have both, the infantry transport and vehicle transport version? Or make the infantry one a high probability from side rewards as it can be useful if the pilots know how to use it properly. 

Guest Luetin

Having flown the Blackfish around a fair bit the past couple of days its not greatly helpful as an insertion vehicle certainly not the way I&A requires them.

Its a very slow vehicle for starters its also big, you cant throw it around the way you can a hummingbird or ghosthawk so you end up having to plan out your route in. Also because of its size it does restrict your options for coming in. Its good for doing paradrops if you want to, but most people always want to have their backpack and see no advantage to paradropping.

I'm not saying take it off, but I think all the other helicopters outperform it.

Blackfish - slow, big - limited options for landing, people crash it more

Other helis - faster, smaller, more landing sites, people know (mostly) how to fly them

V-44 aircraft has an advantage in speed, range* and payload capacity. However, these traits shine with longer trips only. I can recommend using it for trips longer than 10 klicks where it is faster even with its slower landings. Also, it is more resistant and can shrug off even AA missile hit.

edit:

*aircraft range is not really a thing in Arma :)