[SUGGESTION] TCAS for Pilots

TCAS - Traffic Collision Avoidance System

Some of you (in fact most of you) Will never have heard of this: here is an exmaple (not a great one)

I think all that ARMA pilots would require is the initial "traffic traffic" warning and perhaps "clear of conflict" say if a helicopter is around 300 meters of another helicopter. doesn't have to be deafening. might try and make this if you guys think its worth it? shouldn't be too hard.

I like the idea, does only pilots would hear the warning or everyone inside the chopper? If everyone hear it I agree it could become a little annoying after a while.

An interesting thing to do on the side, I suppose.

I'd rather make this in the form of a singular script than something built in to I&A. On hold until I have some more time, however.

Mite B Cool, but all the flying in Arma is VFR so you should be using your eyes for traffic.  It would be nice to have but not really that necessary as you have a radar at the top of the screen that gives you relative altitudes (higher, same, lower) and locations.

That said, anyone up for an IFR mission? B)

300m is a bit far, I've ended up flying within 50m of other choppers, especially when landing at LZs. I think it'd also be a bit hard to hit another chopper during the day, and at night they really should have their collision lights on. Maybe if it's a 50 m radius around your chopper then it may be useful, but otherwise, the pilots should be good enough to see and avoid any close helicopters.

I think it'd also be a bit hard to hit another chopper during the day...

You"ll be surprised of the things i've seen :D hahaha

But yeah, even on accident involving some of our best pilots, i have seen midair collisions, mainly during landings and takeoffs.

Indeed Cain is right, don't set it too far, as the alarm would go off all the time, and noone would pay attention anymore, after all during maneuvers the speed is low anyway.

When creating such script, maybe cool to also implement a pull-up warning to prevent collision with mountains and other objects like trees ?

why not make it an optional feature on the vehicle scroll menu... like the spotlight and collision lights.... have proximity alarm/sensor on/off... and when on don't make it too in your face... maybe where in light aircraft where you have a constant or broken beep stall warning tone (which is annoying but not too high pitched)...  have similar for proximity...

does the helo currently have audio alarm for engine failure??? dunno as its rare that I've been shot up enuff to ditch... and on the rare occasion it happens I really don't remember any tones.....  if not then the same alarm as for proximity... except at a different frequency/tone for engine fail.....

on this page.... http://www.policeinterceptor.com/navysounds.htm  

maybe something like the Surface ship - Collision Alarm - AN/SIA-114B repeating beep triplets.....

but please for the love of god nothing like a submarine collision alarm.....

Submarine - Collision Alarm - Stromberg/Carlson IC/BGL-2S - USS Cavalla (SS-244)(15-second loop)

why not make it an optional feature on the vehicle scroll menu... like the spotlight and collision lights.... have proximity alarm/sensor on/off... and when on don't make it too in your face... maybe where in light aircraft where you have a constant or broken beep stall warning tone (which is annoying but not too high pitched)...  have similar for proximity...

does the helo currently have audio alarm for engine failure??? dunno as its rare that I've been shot up enuff to ditch... and on the rare occasion it happens I really don't remember any tones.....  if not then the same alarm as for proximity... except at a different frequency/tone for engine fail.....

on this page.... http://www.policeinterceptor.com/navysounds.htm  

maybe something like the Surface ship - Collision Alarm - AN/SIA-114B repeating beep triplets.....

but please for the love of god nothing like a submarine collision alarm.....

Submarine - Collision Alarm - Stromberg/Carlson IC/BGL-2S - USS Cavalla (SS-244)(15-second loop)

I don't think there is a warning sound for engine failure, you can hear the rotors slow and the engine wind down though.

A good idea, but you would have to disable it upon landing because of how often there are 2 or more helicopters landed at base within 300m

in which case it could have some logic that tests for being on the ground... i.e. no airspeed from either one of the aircraft in proximity to each other....

Some rules on how to approach the landing pads and take off could be helpful too. I've found that the current layout of the pickup zone at spawn has a natural easy approach from the north. If there are other paint objects than the heli pads that we could use as arrows on the ground that points in that direction it would be great.

I also refuse to land/take off if there are ground vehicles in the landing area. People will have to remove them first or wait for me while I remove them.

Some rules on how to approach the landing pads and take off could be helpful too. I've found that the current layout of the pickup zone at spawn has a natural easy approach from the north. If there are other paint objects than the heli pads that we could use as arrows on the ground that points in that direction it would be great.

I also refuse to land/take off if there are ground vehicles in the landing area. People will have to remove them first or wait for me while I remove them.

could have a sign for this. map of the airfield with for example a red arrow for inbound to the pad traffic

blue arrow for outbound traffic,

+ a reminder for pilots to call the direction of departure (north east south west)

• 4 weeks later...