Unpacking mission files and playing them locally

Stanhope

On popular request here is a short guide on where to find missions you've played on servers on your PC, how to unpack them and how to play them locally.

1.Finding the mission on your PC

First of all you'll need to locate where arma stores by default this will be this folder:
C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Arma 3\MPMissionsCache

Note that AppData is a hidden folder.  To unhide it tick this box (i'm sorry for all the dutch, in english the option will most likely be called something along the lines of "display hidden items":
image.png.a408479465a44c6bc58046a5bf0afb1e.png

2. Moving the mission file to the right folder

Before we can play actually play or edit any of these missions we first need to move them to the right folder.  Depending on if you just want to host it on a local MP server or want to edit it in the editor.

For editing it in the editor you'll need to copy paste that mission into this folder:

C:\Users\YourUser\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\YourArmaProfile\missions

or

C:\Users\gg\Documents\Arma 3\missions

Depending on if you have a custom profile or not.

If you just want to host it on a local MP server this is the folder you want to copy paste it into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\MPMissions

3. Unpacking the mission file

Before you can open the mission via the editor or edit it in the editor you'll first need to unpack the mission file.  For this you'll need a DePBOer tool. 

The one I use can be found here:https://armaservices.maverick-applications.com/Products/MikerosDosTools/FileBrowserFree

It's this one:
image.png.97e1513581f0899b4e57df4ceb93b2e8.png

Simply download it, execute the installer and it's good to go.

Now simply right click on a PBO and select the unpack option like this:
Naamloos.png.7ff785be808bcbba87ed061080a9f00d.png

Once you done that this window should appear: 

image.png.3167227b029481c3b3192968b64bcfa0.png

And the unpacked version of the mission should appear in the same folder as the PBO.  

Now simply go to the editor and open it up.  You can also play these mission by, in the editor, clicking on the play button on the bar at the top of your screen.  A drop down menu will appear in which you can select 2 or 3 types of play as single player and 1 play as multiplayer.

Note that many missions come with licenses.  I highly recommend you read these licenses as it might be illegal to host an online server with the mission you just unpacked.

• 4 months later...

Tried very hard to get this to work without success. Issues are:

de packer doesn’t work with win 10 so I used another free one which requires the unpacked mission to be manually moved but I am unsure I did that correctly

opening the mission in editor and playing in any form: single player, single player with briefing, multi player results in being surround by soldiers at the spawn following me everywhere, no arsenal, no task or briefing on the map. 

Opening as host on line same result

Probably me doing it wrong lol

Don't worry, not even I can unPBO files these days. BIS might have changed something or some (Tanks DLC) assets are not available for common use with default PBOs yet, I don't know. I only know it doesn't work.