[GUIDE] Calibers & How they perform

Hello again one and all!
Time for a new guide I reckon.

Here, I will be testing the common BLUFOR and OPFOR calibers in use, in their two MODDED forms (3CB and RHS) against both a russian rifleman, and a MEM guerilla. The guerilla is consistently wearing nothing but webbing, and the russian wearing a plate carrier. 

Please bare in mind that these results are from a sterile environment. A perfectly flat surface in the editor is used to provide the cleanest testing environment possible and targets are handcuffed to remove any obstruction (weapon) and stop any movement..

All shots are taken at the centre mass of the target and will be tested a minimum of 5 times to show any variance.

For rifles I will be using the first magazine that is available on the arsenal, I will not be cherry picking.

This guide is NOT under any circumstances a be all and end all. There will be situations in which these rounds will kill quicker or slower, depending on the target themselves, their position, distance etc.

Included in this guide will be...

9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, .300 win mag, .338 Lapua and .50 BMG

Handgun calibers are tested at a range of approximately 30m, while intermediate and heavy calibers are tested at a range of 300m.

As you can tell from my results here, a proper vest is literally a life saver. There is no good excuse not to wear one. This was part of the purpsoe of running these tests.

Let's begin...

9mm - Weapons Used ----- L13A1 & Glock 17

For plinking and getting frustrated as to why he's not dead after 2 magazines

• 3CB - 1-2 rounds to kill guerilla, 3-5 on Russian.
  • RHS FMJ - 1 round on Guerilla, 3-5 on Russian. On one test, the russian was knocked out by 3, stood up and took 2 more. Knocked out again and died of blood loss.
  • RHS JHP - 1 round on Guerilla, 2-4 on Russian. Surprisingly effective rounds. I was under the understanding that even up close these rounds simply could not punch through a plate carrier, but how wrong I was. I'm calling these my winner for 9mm rounds.

.45 ACP - Weapons Used ----- M1911A1

Trade more recoil for more power. Seems simple, right? Right?

• RHS HP - 1 round to kill the guerilla, 3-6 on the Russian. These were the only rounds available for the 1911 and their performance was disappointing at best. I'm going to be fairly flat out and say I wouldn't recommend carrying a .45 pistol.

5.56 Nato - Weapons Used ----- L85A2, M16A4 & G36KV

Freedom covered in a full metal jacket

• 3CB - 1-3 rounds on Guerilla, 4-6 on Russian. Fairly standard performance here and roughly what I expected.
  • RHS (MK318) - Consistently one round on the guerilla, with one being a knock out that he bled to death from. 2-5 on Russian. I'm going to recommend the RHS 5.56 here by an overwhelming majority.
  • RHS (EPR for G36) - One round on guerilla, 2-5 on Russian. These perform identically to the MK318, but with their restriction to only the G36 series rifles (KV, C and KV GL)

7.62 Nato - Weapons Used ----- L129A1 & Mk11

For when you need to deliver freedom further away

• 3CB Standard - 1 round on Guerilla, 2-3 on Russian. Standard performance.
  • 3CB AP - 1 round on Guerilla, 1-2 on Russian. Fantastic rounds that suffer greatly from bullet drop at range, requiring much more adjustment than normal. The secret weapon of the 3CB DMR.
  • RHS (M118) - 1 round on Guerilla, 1-3 on Russian. A versatile round, good for close range and long range engagements. As much as I want to give this to the 3CB AP rounds, I'm going to call the M118 my winner for 7.62 NATO
  • RHS (M993 AP) - 1 round on Guerilla, 1-3 on Russian. The 3 here was an outsider on the results. Consistently 2 rounds with one test taking 3, but the second knocked him out. Slightly better performance than the M118, but more severely affected by weather which means the M118 still beat it out in overall performance.

5.45x39 Russian - Weapons Used ----- AK74M (NPZ for ease of optics)

High speed communism delivery

• RHS (5N7) - 1 round on Guerilla, 2-4 on Russian. Excellent performance vs Nato 5.56.

7.62x39 Russian - Weapons Used ----- AK103 (Zentico for ease of optics)

Innacurate, slow communism delivery

• RHS (57-N-231) - 1 round on Guerilla, 2-6 on Russian. These rounds are horrible. Terribly innacurate at 300m, very difficult to land rounds in the right place. Tested this 15 or so times to make sure that I wasn't getting stray headshots. If you have a choice, take the 5.45x39.

Every rifle from here on kills the insurgent in one round, no matter if it is a glancing blow or a direct hit.

.300 Win Mag - Weapons Used ----- M2010 ESR

Because hunting rifles can be used to hunt people, too

• RHS - What a round. Incredibly flat trajectory and excellent damage. 1-2 rounds to kill Russians, with the first round being a knockout if not an instant kill. Bolt action only means low RPM however.

.338 Lapua - Weapons Used ----- L115A3

For when you need to put a tennis ball sized hole in something 2 miles away

• 3CB - Incredible. Killed all targets in one round to the torso in 15 tests. Only drawback is its availability, only through a bolt action rifle.

.50 BMG - Weapons Used ----- L135A1 & M107

For when you really, really, really need something to be removed from existance entirely

These weapons are not available as standard to any infantry role, however I like to shoot big guns so I'm testing them anyway.

I'm not even going to show the results individually. These rounds obliterated everything they touched, with the RHS HEIAP rounds even causing splash damage to nearby targets, killing the insurgent stood next to the Russian on every test.

8 hours ago, BloodInTheSand said:

.50 BMG - Weapons Used ----- L135A1 & M107

For when you really, really, really need something to be removed from existance entirely

These weapons are not available as standard to any infantry role, however I like to shoot big guns so I'm testing them anyway.

I'm not even going to show the results individually. These rounds obliterated everything they touched, with the RHS HEIAP rounds even causing splash damage to nearby targets, killing the insurgent stood next to the Russian on every test.

HEIAP, lovely rounds to kill squads that are bunched up together with :D

2 hours ago, Amentes said:

Would have liked to see how RHS 7.62 AP rounds stood up to BAF AP.

At any rate, seems to confirm my own weapon choices, so happy camper I guess :P

Oh I forgot RHS had AP rounds. Only fair I test those as well given that I tested the BAF ones.

Added!